Page 519 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1941946950951751851952052152956961910191519 ... LastLast
Results 10,361 to 10,380 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Black Abbey Compass Rose

Belgian style ale via a Nashville brewery.

Quite nice.
    It's actually just "The Rose", not Compass Rose.

Either way, a good beer by another other name is still a good beer.

Asheville Parking s*cks

Mild rant ahead.

Passed through Asheville on the way to Nashville.

50 person deep line at 12 bones? Strike 1.

No parking near Wicked Weed? Strike 2.

Crappy beer selection at Greenville/Whole Foods/Fresh Market? Strike 3.

Had hoped to have a nice lunch and score some good beer either at WW bottle shop or Bruisin Ales. No dice.

Asheville was a complete zoo today, no parking anywhere.
    Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Your bad. Mattman, Mtn Devil and I were just a phone call away. Free parking just a block away from WW in the Bhramari parking lot and other great beer stores nearby. Bruisin Ales has worst parking. Burial and Green Man and Hi Wire has plenty of parking. Call one of us before stopping on the way back and stop yer bellyachin'.😜

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Your bad. Mattman, Mtn Devil and I were just a phone call away. Free parking just a block away from WW in the Bhramari parking lot and other great beer stores nearby. Bruisin Ales has worst parking. Burial and Green Man and Hi Wire has plenty of parking. Call one of us before stopping on the way back and stop yer bellyachin'.😜

ricks
    May make a second try on the return trip on Monday.

May make a second try on the return trip on Monday.
    Also, the line at 12 Bones goes very quickly. Trust your gut!
    Let's go Duke!

Mystery Brewing: Knocking It Out Of The Park

I have begun affirmatively seeking out four-packs of 16-oz can from Mystery. They are brewing and distributing really good and interesting beer. Most recently, the Thornfield's End smoked rye stout and the Rosalind autumn saison have impressed. Look for them at a Harris Teeter near you ....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I have begun affirmatively seeking out four-packs of 16-oz can from Mystery. They are brewing and distributing really good and interesting beer. Most recently, the Thornfield's End smoked rye stout and the Rosalind autumn saison have impressed. Look for them at a Harris Teeter near you ...
    Thanks. Sounds interesting.

ricks

I have begun affirmatively seeking out four-packs of 16-oz can from Mystery. They are brewing and distributing really good and interesting beer. Most recently, the Thornfield's End smoked rye stout and the Rosalind autumn saison have impressed. Look for them at a Harris Teeter near you ...
    Interesting. Our closest Harris Teeter is about 1.8 miles from the devildeac abode and, while having a nice selection, I've not noted any Mystery brews there. Yet.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Thanks. Sounds interesting.

ricks
    The Thornfield's has really good "campfire" notes. Great for breaking out the firepit.

ricks
    I thought one of our Ashevillians might respond...

Crowler 3 - New Holland Haute Route

Also well carbonated.
    Amazing while defying description.
    This was a clear home run.

Thanks again devildeac!
    On the menu for cocktail hour tonight with Mr. and Mrs. budwom and their host/hostess with the mostest on the coastest in their oceanfront home on Topsail Island later this afternoon.

Cosigned. Mystery makes excellent beer.

Yazoo Hop Perfect IPA

More a citrusy/juicy IPA.
    Went great with Prince's Hot Chicken.

2016 BBA Sexual Chocolate

It may need some more aging (translation: "It's good that I have another bottle"), or it may be this version, but this is much less rich and flavorful than earlier iterations. Hard to get any bourbon notes at all, and it has a really bitter aftertaste. Surprisingly mediocre, and that makes me a little sad to say it.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 10-15-2016 at 07:40 PM.

It may need some more aging (translation: "It's good that I have another bottle"), or it may be this version, but this is much less rich and flavorful than earlier iterations. Hard to get any bourbon notes at all, and it has a really bitter aftertaste. Surprisingly mediocre, and that makes me a little sad to say it.

Hope my 2010 and 2013 bombers are still ok.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Hope my 2010 and 2013 bombers are still ok.
    They should be. The benchmark for this beer has been set so sky-high that something was eventually bound to disappoint. Still a really good beer, but not one that met the (perhaps outlandish) expectations its predecessors have set.

Crowler 3 - New Holland Haute Route

Also well carbonated.
    Amazing while defying description.
    This was a clear home run.

Thanks again devildeac!
    Haute Route (crowler)-New Holland Brewing Pub on 8th Street

Last one-dated 9/22/16-still fresh!

Beer is (almost always) better with friends.

Budwom (and his lovely female accomplice) were kind enough to invite Mrs. dd and me to cocktail hour at their host/hostess' 70 year old oceanfront home (dolphin viewing not included with this particular admission ) this afternoon so, as my mama told me many decades ago, "Never show up empty-handed," I transported the above beverage and proceeded to share the 32 ounces with budwom. The ladies sipped wine and our host sipped some Ketel. I think budwom and I were the winners but we'll never tell anyone else .

It's a Belgian-style golden ale that was a bit coppery and bronzey (like my weekend tan ) with a modest, half inch foamy head. Tantalizing aromas as expected with some banana, clove, orange and some booze. In this case, gin, from their barrel-aging. Tastes even better than expected with a bit of a dry finish and more gin at the end, too. Paired well with our pimento cheese/crab spread and pita points/toasted mini-bagels. Would have been fine with a bowl of berries, too. Or by itself. I'm happy to have purchased and shared with fuse but quite sad that it's gone as I doubt I'll ever taste this again. Tough call between this and the BBA Tripel Overhead from Mother Earth Brewing as to choosing a favorite. But, I/we can always search for other comparable drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Haute Route (crowler)-New Holland Brewing Pub on 8th Street

Last one-dated 9/22/16-still fresh!

Beer is (almost always) better with friends.

Budwom (and his lovely female accomplice) were kind enough to invite Mrs. dd and me to cocktail hour at their host/hostess' 70 year old oceanfront home (dolphin viewing not included with this particular admission ) this afternoon so, as my mama told me many decades ago, "Never show up empty-handed," I transported the above beverage and proceeded to share the 32 ounces with budwom. The ladies sipped wine and our host sipped some Ketel. I think budwom and I were the winners but we'll never tell anyone else .

It's a Belgian-style golden ale that was a bit coppery and bronzey (like my weekend tan ) with a modest, half inch foamy head. Tantalizing aromas as expected with some banana, clove, orange and some booze. In this case, gin, from their barrel-aging. Tastes even better than expected with a bit of a dry finish and more gin at the end, too. Paired well with our pimento cheese/crab spread and pita points/toasted mini-bagels. Would have been fine with a bowl of berries, too. Or by itself. I'm happy to have purchased and shared with fuse but quite sad that it's gone as I doubt I'll ever taste this again. Tough call between this and the BBA Tripel Overhead from Mother Earth Brewing as to choosing a favorite. But, I/we can always search for other comparable drafts.
    Addendums:

IBUs estimated at 10-20. Very easy sipping.

ABV was 10.7%-no wonder I forgot to include . This was a bit on the boozey side, but not unpleasantly so.

I have not sampled this particular Southern Pines beer, but the comment does not surprise me. Having spent a lot of time in the Sandhills over the last 18 months or so (on daddy-caddie duty; try saying that three times fast ), I have had a lot of Southern Pines's offerings. Duckhook cream ale, Man of Law IPA, Vitamin Sea sparkling ale, Malty By Nature scotch ale, at minimum. None of them are "yccch" beer, but none of them stands up in a comparison with its peers, and I have done some side-by-sides. Decent 19th hole beer, but I wouldn't go out of my way to track it down.
    Malty by Nature-Southern Pines Brewing Company

The last of the September beer club litter of cans, labeled a Scottish-style export ale (), wasn't much of a kilt-lifter for me. Pour was a dark amber with some dark caramel and over-toasted wheat bread as lead-off hitters, followed by the same with a bit of peat/smoke and earthy/herbal hops. IBUs of 18 and ABV was 5.1%. Burgers, ribs, brisket or stew would make nice pairings with this but overall, I thought it a bit thin/weak for the style, much as Tripping William suggests above or, as fuse has mentioned in the past, more of a "meh, beer."

Mrs. dd just informed me that I will have a tasting buddy for the next four weeks as our younger daughter will be staying with us for a clinical rotation at a local hospital.

Straight to Ale Monkeynaut IPA

If for no other reason tried it for the clever "Straight to Ale" brewery name. (Alabama? Who knew?)

Decent IPA. Nothing exciting.