Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Let's be honest. The whole NIL system is a farce of the highest order. It's the insane system that emerges when the NCAA and universities refuse to do the logical thing which is figure out how to share the current revenue stream(s) with the labor, the players.

It's not whether this system collapses. It's just when and how.
    "you must spread some comments around before..."

There's a part of me that thinks the NCAA wants this to get really bad/ugly, so that they can point and say "see, you need us, it was never this bad when we had more power."
    Last edited by -jk; 05-20-2024 at 04:03 PM. Reason: fix tag

Quote Originally Posted by rhynelander View Post
    "you must spread some comments around before..."

There's a part of me that thinks the NCAA wants this to get really bad/ugly, so that they can point and say "see, you need us, it was never this bad when we had more power."
    Well, only Congress would have the ability to restore that power. And even if Congress takes action, I don't think they'll give that power to the NCAA. Congress would be lobbied by the schools, who have no interest in giving the NCAA power over football. To that point, I suspect there are too many constituencies (B1G/SEC schools, ACC/Big12 schools, smaller conference schools, NCAA) pulling in too many different directions for Congress to come to a consensus and take action. It can get much, much worse and that might still be the case.

I suspect that eventually the NCAA will only run nonrevenue sports, and perhaps the NCAA basketball tournament but not the season. Football will be run by the separate conferences, who will only agree on inter conference games, bowls and playoffs but otherwise have no common rules or governing body. NIL will be whatever the "schools" can afford.

If that sounds bizarre, who could have predicted 20 years ago where we are now?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Trivial cash maybe, but likely more valuable than the sports jacket we bought during the David Thompson recruitment. At least our probation had no tourney impact.
    Yes that was my assumption

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    Well, only Congress would have the ability to restore that power. And even if Congress takes action, I don't think they'll give that power to the NCAA. Congress would be lobbied by the schools, who have no interest in giving the NCAA power over football. To that point, I suspect there are too many constituencies (B1G/SEC schools, ACC/Big12 schools, smaller conference schools, NCAA) pulling in too many different directions for Congress to come to a consensus and take action. It can get much, much worse and that might still be the case.
    My comments may have to be moved to the off topic board or deleted. The idiots who control the current congress can’t even agree with themselves about easy stuff…..there is no way they could resolve this issue but they sure would figure out how to scam schools out of lots of money.

The NCAA demonstrated just how stupid/corrupt they are when they failed to discipline Uncheat over years of academic fraud. I wouldn't trust them in an outhouse with a muzzle on.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I wouldn't trust them in an outhouse with a muzzle on.
    What does this even mean? I am not familiar with this saying.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What does this even mean? I am not familiar with this saying.
    It means the NCAA eats s---t. This was a saying that mad dad(rest in peace) used to say.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    The NCAA demonstrated just how stupid/corrupt they are when they failed to discipline Uncheat over years of academic fraud. I wouldn't trust them in an outhouse with a muzzle on.

GoDuke!
    The NCAA leadership under Mark Emmert pursued the case vigorously, but it was judged by the quasi-judicial body within the NCAA to be academic corruption, given that the majority taking "fake classes" were non-athletes. Statute of limitations had kicked in to limit action on abuses in earlier years, where fake courses were purely for athletes.

Therefore, the outrageous academic violations were taken up by the accreditation agency SACSCOC, which suspended UNC's accreditation for one year and required a bunch of changes, including separating some of the academic perpetrators.

While SACSCOC's actions are a reasonably big deal in academia, they had no affect on athletic results during the period of academic violations.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    it still amazes me that while much has been written about NIL, credible data is impossible to find. Lots of assertions of huge amounts, but no way to verify...some insist that almost all estimates are wildly high...

Having said that, I had breakfast with an old friend last week, he's befriended a former Clemson football player from the 1960s who told him that back then, when they played well they'd come back to the locker room and find an envelope of cash in their lockers (no indication of amount, no doubt trivial by today's financial standards).
    How does income get reported and from whom? Are "collectives" tax entities that issue 1099s? Where does the money actually come from? Are individual sponsors taking tax deductions for endorsement deals and reporting the income paid?

Will we be hearing in years to come that players are getting in big trouble with the IRS for unreported income?

This just seems like the wild west!

Jaden Rashada's lawsuit over supposed $13.85 million NIL FB deal gone wrong

This is sad. This is crazy. But this might shed light on the types of insane deals that are being floated

https://x.com/Andy_Staples/status/17...5Es1_&ref_url=

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    I suspect that eventually the NCAA will only run nonrevenue sports, and perhaps the NCAA basketball tournament but not the season. Football will be run by the separate conferences, who will only agree on inter conference games, bowls and playoffs but otherwise have no common rules or governing body. NIL will be whatever the "schools" can afford.

If that sounds bizarre, who could have predicted 20 years ago where we are now?
    How long do the nonrevenue sports even continue to exist? When football revenue is shifted from funding the rest of the athletic department to paying football players directly there's going to be a big shortfall.