Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Woefully inadequate. 😞
    Hey, there’s still time. If you ask your wife nicely…

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I guess that photo of Schwarzenegger and DeVito about sums it up.

Thank you for that!

Whitehead out for the season

Dariq Whitehead apparently recently had surgery to address a stress reaction in his shin and has done for the year. He's had a really tough couple of years. Hope he recovers well and has that career that everyone was expecting.

It's also a good reminder of what could have been last year. Can you imagine how good Duke would've been had Whitehead been healthy?

https://sports.yahoo.com/nets-dariq-...031758826.html

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Dariq Whitehead apparently recently had surgery to address a stress reaction in his shin and has done for the year. He's had a really tough couple of years. Hope he recovers well and has that career that everyone was expecting.

It's also a good reminder of what could have been last year. Can you imagine how good Duke would've been had Whitehead been healthy?

https://sports.yahoo.com/nets-dariq-...031758826.html
    I'm still imagining what Duke could have done if they rules of basketball were simply enforced when we played Tenn...
    And I'm hoping we don't simply replace "Tenn" with "Hou" later this week...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm still imagining what Duke could have done if they rules of basketball were simply enforced when we played Tenn...
    And I'm hoping we don't simply replace "Tenn" with "Hou" later this week...
    Is Houston known for being butchers of the hardwood like Tennessee?

I so badly want to get revenge against Tennessee in the Final Four. I hope that’s how the brackets play out. 🤞

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Is Houston known for being butchers of the hardwood like Tennessee?

I so badly want to get revenge against Tennessee in the Final Four. I hope that’s how the brackets play out. 🤞
    Watching ESPN yesterday morning, two different commentators on two different shows both said that the Duke/Houston game would come down to how the game is called. If they 'swallow the whistle' (what I call allowing a team to cheat) than Duke is in trouble. Texas A&M shot 45 FT's against Houston. Houston had 4 guys foul out and needed OT to slip by TAM. To answer your question...yes Houston is known for being butchers like the Tenn team. If the refs decide to properly enforce the rules in a normal way, we have every chance to win this game.

Watching ESPN yesterday morning, two different commentators on two different shows both said that the Duke/Houston game would come down to how the game is called. If they 'swallow the whistle' (what I call allowing a team to cheat) than Duke is in trouble. Texas A&M shot 45 FT's against Houston. Houston had 4 guys foul out and needed OT to slip by TAM. To answer your question...yes Houston is known for being butchers like the Tenn team. If the refs decide to properly enforce the rules in a normal way, we have every chance to win this game.
    I generally agree with the caveat being that we are not deep either so if we (particularly Flip) get called for some cheap ones because the refs decide to call the game tight, it could cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I generally agree with the caveat being that we are not deep either so if we (particularly Flip) get called for some cheap ones because the refs decide to call the game tight, it could cause problems.
    I agree that could be an issue. But being a smaller team, refs allowing a more physical style of play really allows teams to slow us down by ignoring the actual rules (in a way the NCSU game went this way). If the game is being called tightly and Flip has to sit, we can buy time with a smaller lineup if the game isn't allowed to devolve into MMA.

I agree that could be an issue. But being a smaller team, refs allowing a more physical style of play really allows teams to slow us down by ignoring the actual rules (in a way the NCSU game went this way). If the game is being called tightly and Flip has to sit, we can buy time with a smaller lineup if the game isn't allowed to devolve into MMA.
    The problem with Flip sitting is that with his sub, that will likely leave 2 players on the court that don’t need to be guarded. Proctor, McCain, and Roach will already have a difficult time finding points, it will only be that much harder if Flip sits.

We average only about 18 FTAs per game. There's no way we are shooting anywhere in the neighborhood of 45, regardless of what refs we get. TAMU plays a very different style than we do, dishing out and forcing a ton of contact on most of their scoring attempts, and going through histrionics to draw fouls, too. On one of the plays in the replay game, a Texas Tech player shoots a three and kicks out his leg trying to draw contact, then falls down anyway when the defender flies cleanly by him. The refs weren't fooled on that particular shot, but that's the kind of thing they were doing. We play a much cleaner style and don't engage in drama. If we get as many as 30 FTAs in this game, it will be a minor miracle.

I'm stoked for the game on Friday, but how the heck did this particular discussion land on this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    We average only about 18 FTAs per game. There's no way we are shooting anywhere in the neighborhood of 45, regardless of what refs we get. TAMU plays a very different style than we do, dishing out and forcing a ton of contact on most of their scoring attempts, and going through histrionics to draw fouls, too. On one of the plays in the replay game, a Texas Tech player shoots a three and kicks out his leg trying to draw contact, then falls down anyway when the defender flies cleanly by him. The refs weren't fooled on that particular shot, but that's the kind of thing they were doing. We play a much cleaner style and don't engage in drama. If we get as many as 30 FTAs in this game, it will be a minor miracle.
    Glad someone else saw how ridiculously that game was officiated. Houston does get called for more fouls (and shoots fewer FTs) than its opponents in general but A&M got a lot of calls that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm stoked for the game on Friday, but how the heck did this particular discussion land on this thread?
    Hahahaha. Good point. Darriq Whitehead -> Tennesee rugby -> Houston rugby -> How with they call the weekend game?

All in less than ten posts. DBR thread drift is a powerful force!

Art But Make It Sports did a Duke double dip last week.

artkyrie.jpglink

artzion.jpglink

Tyus and Tre Jones have an opportunity to both end up in the Top 20 for assists this season. I have to believe they would be the first sibling duo to accomplish that?

Maybe the Ball brothers?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Tyus and Tre Jones have an opportunity to both end up in the Top 20 for assists this season. I have to believe they would be the first sibling duo to accomplish that?

Maybe the Ball brothers?
    Lonzo was 14th in assists in 2019-20. LaMello had not even entered the league at that point (though he would be top 20 in apg in each of the next 2 years).

Most of the best brothers in the NBA have been big fellas like the Morris and Lopez twins, or the Gasol brothers. Currently, the Wagners are both impact players for Orlando. Not many guards. Steph and Seth are certainly up there, though Seth has never been a big assist guy. The Barry brothers (Brent, Jon, Drew) were quite successful but also were not big assist guys.

I thought Tom and Dick Van Arsdale might have a shot at this. Dick was top 20 in assists in 68-69 and 69-70, but Tom was never a big assist guy.

It would seem the Jones brothers have a chance at history! Tre needs to stay ahead of Tyrese Maxey and Dennis Schroeder. Really close battle for 20th!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Zion set a career high with FIVE blocked shots vs. the Suns, including a volleyball spike off the backboard and recovered on a Kevin Durant shot.
    Also, Zion scored 29 points, 10 rebs, and 7 assists. Dude is turning it on at the right time, esp. with Ingram injured. Also, also, NOLA won the game in Phoenix. Grayson had a modest 11 pts on 3-10 3FGs, 4-13 FGs.
    ed.- also wanted to point out that Zion has now played more games this year (66) than his previous career high (61), so he's setting a new standard for himself in terms of availability. Keep it up big man!
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 04-08-2024 at 08:09 AM. Reason: w

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Zion set a career high with FIVE blocked shots vs. the Suns, including a volleyball spike off the backboard and recovered on a Kevin Durant shot.
    Also, Zion scored 29 points, 10 rebs, and 7 assists. Dude is turning it on at the right time, esp. with Ingram injured. Also, also, NOLA won the game in Phoenix. Grayson had a modest 11 pts on 3-10 3FGs, 4-13 FGs.
    ed.- also wanted to point out that Zion has now played more games this year (66) than his previous career high (61), so he's setting a new standard for himself in terms of availability. Keep it up big man!
    Yeah great game from Zion and huge win on the road for the Pelicans against the team now tied for the last automatic playoff bid.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Yeah great game from Zion and huge win on the road for the Pelicans against the team now tied for the last automatic playoff bid.
    Unfortunately the Pelicans hit a bad skid, losing five out of the last six before last night. And Phoenix owns the tiebreaker against them. They are going to have to play lights out in these last four games to avoid the Play-In tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Unfortunately the Pelicans hit a bad skid, losing five out of the last six before last night. And Phoenix owns the tiebreaker against them. They are going to have to play lights out in these last four games to avoid the Play-In tournament.
    While they had a home stand, the run of games against OKC, Mil, Bos, Phx, Orl, and Phx again (on the road) was unfortunate with Ingram out. They did have SA at home, but Zion also missed that game. It's really too bad since they were up to 4th in the stacked West and on a roll before the injury. It's also remarkable how the West is 10-deep with really solid teams.