Page 477 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 377427467475476477478479487527577977 ... LastLast
Results 9,521 to 9,540 of 22200
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I’m no expert, but I think The prevailing wisdom is that a few Covid particles are not enough to cause an infection. So this study doesn’t prove much.
    This is my understanding too, from what I have read. Also, most doctors and researchers now believe (I think) that it is not easily spread from surfaces to humans; i.e., touching a door handle that has previously been touched by someone who is Covid-positive. BUT that raises the question of how it has spread so widely so fast? I've yet to read a good explanation for how this has happened.

Somewhat timely, there is a good article today on Bloomberg about the spread of Covid. Very interesting conclusions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...y?srnd=premium

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    This is my understanding too, from what I have read. Also, most doctors and researchers now believe (I think) that it is not easily spread from surfaces to humans; i.e., touching a door handle that has previously been touched by someone who is Covid-positive. BUT that raises the question of how it has spread so widely so fast? I've yet to read a good explanation for how this has happened.

Somewhat timely, there is a good article today on Bloomberg about the spread of Covid. Very interesting conclusions.

Thanks for sharing. That is an excellent article and is actually quite hopeful.

No real conclusions, but speculation that there may be pockets of herd immunity explaining huge drop-off in places with high rate of infections (NY, for example).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

As many have pointed out, Anthony Fauci does not wash his packages after delivery (and neither do we).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As many have pointed out, Anthony Fauci does not wash his packages after delivery (and neither do we).
    LOL, yea, we never washed our packages but I did leave most of them in the garage for a day or two before bringing into the house. But I have become somewhat more lax about some of the protocols, with the substantial drop in infections in Massachusetts, surrounding Covid-19. I still wear my mask when going out (to protect others) but I'm going to the grocery store more often and doing some shopping in other stores (hardware, etc). My wife and I have yet to eat out at a restaurant and we're still avoiding any indoor situations where a group of people may be present. From everything I have read, you do NOT want to be exposed to this virus.

For those keeping track at home, here in Georgia Governor Kemp fully withdrew his lawsuit today against Atlanta's mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms over their mask mandate.

The fact that the dismissal was filed the day after Ms. Bottoms was eliminated as Biden's VP candidate is purely coincidental, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Perhaps TMI about Dr. Fauci and his packages???

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    You just had to go there, didn't you.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    You just had to go there, didn't you.
    Well, the good doctor didn't make us turn our heads and cough. So there's that.

[QUOTE=JasonEvans;1278210]I know the folks who read this thread probably don't need yet another tale of how the virus wrecks you in so many ways, but I found sports columnist Bill Plaschke's story especially thoughtful. He really gets at the mental fatigue of having it.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...-19-experience

Paywall.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I tend to agree with you - which is really painful to type. However, the article says that the family was able to make the outgoing flight with no problem. It is not clear if the child wore a mask on the outgoing flight or if that particular flight did not enforce the mask policy. I have a big problem if the latter, as SW would have set expectations with an inconsistent enforcement policy, and now the family finds themselves a flights distance from home.
    Parenting is difficult at baseline, and especially difficult with a child who has issues.

Big fan of the ADA.

Not a big fan of discretionary flying, however, especially with a child who won’t wear a mask.

[QUOTE=Neals384;1278368]
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I know the folks who read this thread probably don't need yet another tale of how the virus wrecks you in so many ways, but I found sports columnist Bill Plaschke's story especially thoughtful. He really gets at the mental fatigue of having it.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...-19-experience

Paywall.
    Not for me. I clicked the link and read the article without any problems.

This is a concern and hopefully wrong. It had to come from somewhere though. New Zealand has done everything right and still this thing comes back.

New Zealand COVID Outbreak Could Have Come From Frozen Food Packaging

[QUOTE=rsvman;1278398]
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post

Not for me. I clicked the link and read the article without any problems.
    They’re out to get me. Always knew it; this proves it🤣

Long (really long) article from the WSJ on why leaders knew this was coming, but still weren't ready for it. SMH

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...Mox?li=BBnb7Kz

Here are some interesting national and regional survey results about the impact the pandemic is having on folks.

On the "Key Indicators" tab, I found it especially interesting that compliance does not seem to be improving even though many more people know someone who has gotten the virus and think the disease will be here a while. On the "Perceptions of Government" tab, I found it interesting that satisfaction at all levels of government has gone down a little bit as the virus has stayed with us, but especially at the state and national levels. I also find it interesting that satisfaction with the national response is about 60% of what it is at the state level.

Region, State, and Local results are harder to navigate and only a limited number of county-level results are available. In North Carolina, Durham and Mecklenberg are included.

I didn't see overall information on sample size.
    Last edited by Phredd3; 08-14-2020 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Sample size comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I didn't see overall information on sample size.
    Not within 15 minutes, I actually read the blurb at the bottom of the page: "The survey is being administered to a random sample of 100-150 U.S. residents daily. ... The results for each date contain the responses from at least 500 U.S. residents who were surveyed during the previous four days." The confidence interval is therefore pretty wide, as is, plus-or-minus 4.5% with 95% confidence. The trends should still be useful, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDude View Post
    To be fair, there is a chance that this is "okay." I mean, it's not GOOD, but it might be okay. But that requires a few "ifs". If 33% get vaccinated, AND if the vaccine provides both effective and durable protection from infection, that would help reduce the gap to herd immunity. Then, it's a question of how much immunity folks have from prior infections/exposures, and for how long that type of immunity lasts. There is a lot unknown there.

But even a 33% vaccination rate would be very useful IF the vaccine really works (high effectiveness and duration of effect).

Even if that just brings us down to a comparable situation as the flu, that will be a helpful thing. It would greatly reduce strain on the healthcare system and might be enough to turn the virus into a "contained" virus more like the flu. Obviously, a higher number would be better. But, I'll take what I can get.

This is, of course, assuming the vaccines work really well.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDude View Post
    Even more reason for the US to not be the first place to introduce widespread vaccination. I will continue to maintain that the best way to get more Americans to get vaccinated is to tell them that they can't have it first, they have to wait in line behind other countries.