Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Certain announcers (who shall remain nameless) are getting roasted on Twitter with angles showing Hurt's elbow didn't come with 18 inches of Forest...and that he simply flopped...
    First rule of fight club...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    First rule of fight club...
    look, if the FSU guys wanted to fight eachother, we would have loved to watch them duke it out at halftime...no need to try to slip some shots in during the game!
    April 1

Certain announcers (who shall remain nameless) are getting roasted on Twitter with angles showing Hurt's elbow didn't come with 18 inches of Forest...and that he simply flopped...
    Must spread comments around, but thanks for that update for those of us that aren’t on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    look, if the FSU guys wanted to fight eachother, we would have loved to watch them duke it out at halftime...no need to try to slip some shots in during the game!
    Ha! I responded to another post of yours in a similar fashion on the Post Game Thread.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Woke up in the middle and turned on Sports Center briefly kust in time to hear Seth Greenburg rail on about the foul should have been called on Hurt for swinging his elbows. You would a studio host would have had the benefit of reviewing the film better or that, this much after the game, theu would pull those comments for the idiocy they are.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Woke up in the middle and turned on Sports Center briefly kust in time to hear Seth Greenburg rail on about the foul should have been called on Hurt for swinging his elbows. You would a studio host would have had the benefit of reviewing the film better or that, this much after the game, theu would pull those comments for the idiocy they are.
    The casual non-Cheat fans in the area see this ESPN crap constantly and naturally assume every close Duke win is a gift from the refs. Coffee pot discussions of weekend or overnight games seem to start with the “bad” calls that went Duke’s way. I’ve started telling em other schools need to match Duke’s contribution to the ref petty cash pool.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    The casual non-Cheat fans in the area see this ESPN crap constantly and naturally assume every close Duke win is a gift from the refs. Coffee pot discussions of weekend or overnight games seem to start with the “bad” calls that went Duke’s way. I’ve started telling em other schools need to match Duke’s contribution to the ref petty cash pool.
    This is preciesly why I say the Bilas over compensating on air is not a benign event. It has consequences.

There is wisdom in that, and yet, we've heard and seen great announcers. Mike Tirico. Vern Lundquist. Keith Jackson. Hubie Brown (including color guys as well as PBP since Bilas is color guy). Bones McKinney. What we seem to have now is a formulaic (no doubt ESPN planned) combo of an arrogant know it all color guy with a beta male PBP guy with no original thinking whatsoever...who slavishly defers to the color guy - unless it comes to important stuff like who picks up the dinner check and who has the least hair, etc...(also tiresome schticks.). I've noticed, Lundquist has no schtick. The good ones don't. The good ones make the broadcast about the game, and not them, and that's what makes them great. Bilas makes it about how brilliant he is. Vitale makes it about everything BUT the specific game he's doing...and how lucky he is (which is true, but we get it after 35 years)....
    This x1000. I always thought Bilas was quite good before he moved up to the #1 guy. I listen to old broadcasts of Vitale, before cbb became a money-making behemoth, and I'm amazed how much I enjoy his old, understated(!) calls. We are blaming individuals when I think it's really just how ESPN wants their lead crews to behave. How else can you explain the collection of blowhards (even when maybe they aren't in real life) they put on air when you don't have the same for Fox, CBS, ACCN, (RIP) Raycom... Systems over individuals. Look at the commonality people! :-)

BTW thanks to whoever pointed out that ESPN3 has the above the court cameras with no commentary for many games. I watched that version for FSU/Duke and I can't tell you how much lower my blood pressure was, even in a tight game! I even marveled at how well FSU was playing. You get the home announcer, no ESPN color/PBP and no 94 feet/split screens during the game!

-c

Got the UVA/cheats game on while I read (flagellation for myself....*shrug*). Lord, Dakich is insufferable in his love for all things unc tonight--current players, former players, the town, the arena. You'd think he didn't take classes there or something...

I thought Vitale did a good job today. He kept to the game and in tune with the PBP man. If you wanted bad announcing- revert back to this weekend's Colorado at Oregon game. 3 man crew. PBP man asked Mark Jackson if he ever met a Male Quack ? Jackson answered "I have now". Walton was right next to Jackson blabbing away.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I thought Vitale did a good job today. He kept to the game and in tune with the PBP man. If you wanted bad announcing- revert back to this weekend's Colorado at Oregon game. 3 man crew. PBP man asked Mark Jackson if he ever met a Male Quack ? Jackson answered "I have now". Walton was right next to Jackson blabbing away.
    Vitale gets pretty excited about Duke-ND games, since his daughters went to Notre Dame. I figured he could buy a kid into Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post
    Vitale gets pretty excited about Duke-ND games, since his daughters went to Notre Dame. I figured he could buy a kid into Duke.
    He has two grandsons enrolling in 18 months - 6-6 tennis players.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    He has two grandsons enrolling in 18 months - 6-6 tennis players.
    Wow that's pretty remarkable. Twins from Florida who both committed to Duke and are legit amazing tennis players. They didn't get special treatment because of grandpa. They are ranked as the 11th and 25th best players in the country. Tennis is a bit different than basketball though in that recruiting is much more international. Both guys play junior tennis around the world and have ITF rankings in the top 200. Of course, the vast majority of players outside the US don't end up playing NCAA tennis, but there are a lot of foreign players in NCAA tennis since it's a pretty good pool.

Their sister, an 8th grader, is ranked #5 in the country for her age group. I guess they have some good genes in that family...

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I thought Vitale did a good job today. He kept to the game and in tune with the PBP man.
    I liked Vitale today. He toned it down a good bit and stayed on subject more than usual.

Note, I'm not a Vitale hater like many but I recognize that he's not at all what he used to be. I consider him generally to a caricature of his past self...except in that Duke/ND game. I wonder if someone had a talk with him.

Not an announcer issue but I want to register a complaint against whoever determines what camera shot will be on air. Whoever you are, please keep the camera focused on the court when a ball is being thrown in or free throws are happening. We don't need to see crowd shots or the announcers if the ball is in play (or soon to be in play).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I liked Vitale today. He toned it down a good bit and stayed on subject more than usual.

Note, I'm not a Vitale hater like many but I recognize that he's not at all what he used to be. I consider him generally to a caricature of his past self...except in that Duke/ND game. I wonder if someone had a talk with him.
    Agreed. He used to "be Dick Vitale" - and now he "plays" Dick Vitale, a role, a part....

Just when you thought the broadcasts couldn't go any more off the rails...the three-man booth of Bill Walton, Frank Caliendo (playing Bill Walton), and Dave Pasch was pretty funny. If anybody finds a clip of it, it's worth watching...

edit: found this: https://twitter.com/BryanKalbrosky/s...82069531086848
    Last edited by BlueDevil2K; 02-20-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    Ha -- yes -- watching it tonight. The side banter turned into a side show with absolutely no coverage of the game (other than some cuts to what was actually a great basketball game). Hurley and the Sun Devils pulled off a BIG win against Oregon -- looks like ASU is on track to make the Tourney and maybe do some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Ha -- yes -- watching it tonight. The side banter turned into a side show with absolutely no coverage of the game (other than some cuts to what was actually a great basketball game). Hurley and the Sun Devils pulled off a BIG win against Oregon -- looks like ASU is on track to make the Tourney and maybe do some damage.
    My kay takeaway from the broadcast is that more U-Haul trucks are dropped off in Tempe than anywhere else.

Hmmm...