Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

JJ Redick ticks off a whole country

Eeeek, what were you thinking, JJ?!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...cid=spartandhp
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Sad

Very sad.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Comments are offering up a lot of agreement. (Wish I could watch the video, but not able to now.) It would seem to be way out of character.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The youtube video is here (primed to where JJ says it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ZSdq5B9gs&t=18s

The thing that's odd is this was an official NBA video that was reviewed and edited by many people before released. It's not like it was a live interview. So, I'd expect none of those people thought he used the word. Somebody certainly should have said let's do a retake though. Don't leave mumbled words or being tongue tied up to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The thing that's odd is this was an official NBA video that was reviewed and edited by many people before released. It's not like it was a live interview. So, I'd expect none of those people thought he used the word. Somebody certainly should have said let's do a retake though. Don't leave mumbled words or being tongue tied up to interpretation.
    The sentence doesn't even make sense..."NBA [inappropriate word] fans of China". Just seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    The sentence doesn't even make sense..."NBA [inappropriate word] fans of China". Just seems odd.
    And I don’t understand why it’s a video of a guy watching the video. Did an original version even air?

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Yup. Which makes JJ’s explanation of being tongue-tied seem logical.

And as others have mentioned, this was an official NBA video, not a conversation caught on tape.

JJ is not an idiot. Why would he say that on a video he knew would be broadcast to China?

Clearly this is a misunderstanding.

Right, at worst, it was a Freudian slip. There's no way he intentionally said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    link from the original post said it is NOT an official NBA video

I certainly hope that the sound was "photo-shopped" to make it sound like that, and that JJ didn't actually say it. It was probably done by a meraland fan...

If JJ did say it, shame on him. Apologize and learn from it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I certainly hope that the sound was "photo-shopped" to make it sound like that, and that JJ didn't actually say it. It was probably done by a meraland fan...

If JJ did say it, shame on him. Apologize and learn from it.
    Puzzling, JJ is a bright, well spoken guy.

That didn't sound like someone who was tongue-tied. Sounds like someone so used to using the slur hanging out, he forgot not to in public. Ooops.

I am offended by the fact the NBA does business in China, but that is a subject for another place.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    That didn't sound like someone who was tongue-tied. Sounds like someone so used to using the slur hanging out, he forgot not to in public. Ooops.
    You serious? He's one of the most progressive dudes in the entire NBA. Listen to 5 seconds of his podcast. Even if he's just faking it and he actually hates 1/5 of the planet, he's not dumb enough to say it in front of a camera, let alone a camera that is clearly intended to be broadcast to China.

JJ has given me no reason whatsoever to not believe him. I have on my dark blue shaded glasses in a lot of scenarios, but the circumstances around this situation, as well as JJ's track record over his 15 year career as an adult have me firmly planted in his camp right now.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

But, what does he think of NBA dinosaur fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    You serious? He's one of the most progressive dudes in the entire NBA. Listen to 5 seconds of his podcast. Even if he's just faking it and he actually hates 1/5 of the planet, he's not dumb enough to say it in front of a camera, let alone a camera that is clearly intended to be broadcast to China.

JJ has given me no reason whatsoever to not believe him. I have on my dark blue shaded glasses in a lot of scenarios, but the circumstances around this situation, as well as JJ's track record over his 15 year career as an adult have me firmly planted in his camp right now.
    I will also say that the argument that it is so normal to him that it slipped out doesn't really fit reality either. NBA players, JJ included swear all the time. They drop the F-Bomb consistently throughout every game, yet after games or during interviews going into half-time, somehow, they are able to not swear in on-camera interviews. I highly doubt that he says that slur more than he says the F-word to allow it be able to slip out.

My posting history has, I think, indicated that I am pretty socially progressive in every area, and if I believed this to be a genuine racially motivated remark, I'd be horrified and all over it, but I don't, so I'm not.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    But, what does he think of NBA dinosaur fans?
    A different Asian country is unhappy with that.

JJ Redick@JJRedick·15m
    Please read. Thank you.