Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Da'Sean Butler injury

After the 2008 game, I've never liked WVU, or Huggins for that matter. But after Butler's injury, I couldn't help but have all respect for Huggins. He is a really good, if not great, coach that really cares about his players. Check out this blog about about Duke's win and Huggins from Andy Katz and Eamonn Brennan:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ers-bluedevils

NOTE: Please don't make this thread about the 'sleaze-ball' that many know to be Huggins but rather a tribute to Butler and the coaching job that Huggins has done this year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I can't deny that Bob has done a great job with this team...

...but I don't think I'll ever buy him as a compassionate "good guy".

Very glad to see it looks like Butler will be ok.

This was a very touching moment.

I had a lump in my throat when Butler was screaming "coach, oh coach!"

It was a sad,sad moment seeing a kid go out that way.

Glad to hear it only appears to be a sprained knee for Butler. As much as I wanted to see his WVU career end with a loss, I most definitely did not want to see it end with an injury. Here's to a speedy recovery for him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRob8801 View Post
    I can't deny that Bob has done a great job with this team...

...but I don't think I'll ever buy him as a compassionate "good guy".
    It's very sad ending to an outstanding senior's career at WVU. I hope he will recover from the injury.

To second what Rob said, I am not buying the media's attempt of making Huggins looks like a "compassionate" person. He simply isn't. If he really cared of Butler like a father, would he have argued with the Ref for a good two minute before come to check on Butler's injury? I am just not feeling the "love" from him to his players. I think a person's character is defined by their track record, not by a single moment.

I personally can't recall a more touching moment I've ever seen. You could truly see the emotion in Huggins face when he sat back up. I gained TONS of respect for him tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Very glad to see it looks like Butler will be ok.
    Do you have a source? - I've been trying to follow up but I'm in the hinterlands. Really hoping the kid is okay.

Considering all the 'below the belt' punches that WVU doled out in the course of this game, yeah, I don't see Huggins as a Good Guy.

Hopefully, Da'Sean Butler simply tweaked/sprained his knee and I wish him a speedy recovery, but that doesn't garner any sympathy or respect, from me towards Huggins, who, by the way, stood over Butler for a good 45 seconds, before finally leaning over to talk to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Do you have a source? - I've been trying to follow up but I'm in the hinterlands. Really hoping the kid is okay.
    ESPN reports it's a sprained knee.

All the revisionist Huggy love is revoltingly idiotic. He did something decently human - that doesn't suddenly make him a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    It's very sad ending to an outstanding senior's career at WVU. I hope he will recover from the injury.

To second what Rob said, I am not buying the media's attempt of making Huggins looks like a "compassionate" person. He simply isn't. If he really cared of Butler like a father, would he have argued with the Ref for a good two minute before come to check on Butler's injury? I am just not feeling the "love" from him to his players.
    Oh come on, Huggins eye's were beat red from holding back tears. Show some class.

Yes, ESPN says it's a sprained knee. Reports:"It wasn't that big of a deal," Butler said. "It scared me because I've never hurt anything before. You see all these people get hurt, and I was afraid it happened to me."

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    ESPN reports it's a sprained knee
    Thanks - ESPN website hasn't updated and I don't have cable or dish.

Aside from Calipari, I have always held Huggins as the worst college basketball had to offer. Seeing him comfort Butler tonight changed all that.

I'm not sure this is the right place for this but check out how this Louisville fan blames Zoubeck for Butler's injury:

http://www.louisvillemojo.com/newfor...1#Reply5280218

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Yes, ESPN says it's a sprained knee. Reports:"It wasn't that big of a deal," Butler said. "It scared me because I've never hurt anything before. You see all these people get hurt, and I was afraid it happened to me."
    So he overreacted... and Huggins complained about the refs before he remembered that he should be looking after his player... and then did it in probably the creepiest way possible. And now he's a saint?

Please.

Huggins showed true compassion tonight. Sure - he has a shady past, but he did a great job of truly caring for his players.

And let's also focus on Butler - what a great basketball player. Forgot the award he won, but it was for excellence in academics, community service and, least important, athletics. Good for him - I see him as WVU's Shane Battier - and that's a helluva honour.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

The scene tonight with Butler and Huggins = respect

Huggins' past is what it is, and opinions about him may remain unchanged. But that doesn't negate the compassionate moment he had with his star player.

I also have no problem with his complaints to the ref about the call - that was during the game, and virtually all coaches will do the same. Huggins made no such comments in the post game interview.

Coach K and Coach Huggins appear to be very good friends (had read that before and their pre-game handshake was very friendly); I suspect Coach K has great respect for Bob Huggins, and that's good enough for me. Coach Huggins has done great things in previous jobs, and now at West Virginia.

His compassion to Butler was very father figure-like, something I think Coach K would have with one of our players in a similar situation, and that demands our respect.