Page 718 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 21861866870871671771871972072876881812181718 ... LastLast
Results 14,341 to 14,360 of 67650
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    By the way, for the next three plus weeks I'll be on a trip to Scandinavia and Russia. I get to see what the Hermitage is all about. Leaving tomorrow. Do they know anything about beer in St. Petersburg? We will be aboard the Queen Victoria of the Cunard Line. I may be so busy that I only get a few moments a day to browse the web.
    Wow, sounds like quite the trip - a place I've always wanted to visit! Have fun, take lots of pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    That sounds good, then. I'll take pilsner if it is available. Otherwise, Anything that has beer in its name. Not too much, though. I have to drive home in the dark an hour or so down US #1. By the way, for the next three plus weeks I'll be on a trip to Scandinavia and Russia. I get to see what the Hermitage is all about. Leaving tomorrow. Do they know anything about beer in St. Petersburg? We will be aboard the Queen Victoria of the Cunard Line. I may be so busy that I only get a few moments a day to browse the web.

Hermitage... was there in 1987. I have pictures somewhere.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Seriuos question for the LTE crowd

Folks, if I may invade LTE space briefly, I have a serious discussion topic that you can help me with. I haven't talked to the other mods about this yet, but I'll report this post to them so that they will see it and can respond if they have something to say on the topic.

As you well know, the LTE has formed its own subculture of DBR. It's mostly formed by a small group of active posters, many of which that post here much more than anywhere else on the board. Some of you post frequently elsewhere, and some folks that aren't regulars here drop in every now and then. And there are even some that just lurk here for the vicarious thrill of it, I guess.

While much of the content of this thread would be characterized as "needless" in other threads, we mods tend to leave you guys alone in the LTE. You sort of have your own special rules. If you were abusing the system with flame wars or spamming or something, we wouldn't tolerate that, but as long as it's self-contained "needless" posting, we let it go. When we reigned in things on the rest of the board, those of you that could mostly contain your desire for a more "conversational" discussion within this thread have stayed. Those that couldn't - like Earljam - moved to Crazietalk (voluntarily or not), where you guys can set the rules. Since then, things have been mostly copacetic. There's still some bleed out of this thread into other threads, and we've handed out a few "needless post" reminders or wrist slaps from time to time, but for the most part, you guys do a good job of restraining yourselves.

What concerns me is when I see you guys sharing things here that would be legitimate content on the rest of the boards. In just the last week, Sue's pics of the USA basketball game, ArkieDukie's St.Louis barbeque find, and maybe even CB&B's Duke basketball find would all be legit topics for discussion with the larger DBR community. (BTW, thanks to Sue for recognizing this and creating the thread with a link to her pics.) While the LTE isn't a closed group, most folks ignore it, and so the occasional post of wider interest is lost.

What I'd ask is for you folks to be conscious of this. Kind of like Coach K asks that all of his players "unpack their bags" when joining the team, I'd like to remind you all that you're part of the larger DBR community. Yes, you are a circle of friends here that enjoy sharing with each other at a level that the rest of the community doesn't engage on, but still, as things arise here that may be of wider interest, please either post them outside of this thread or double post them here and in another thread. If you're not sure whether a topic might be a legit OTB or EKB topic, then send a PM to me or one of the other active mods. I, for one, would love to see an OTB thread on Jarhead's pending Northern Europe trip and visit to The Hermitage.

Maybe I'm offbase here, but I think to do other than this would risk you guys becoming more marginalized and little more than a Crazietalk outpost on DBR - something I'm sure neither you guys nor my fellow mods want to see happening.

Please let me know what you think - either here or via PM. Like I said, I'll share this with my fellow mods, too.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Please let me know what you think - either here or via PM. Like I said, I'll share this with my fellow mods, too.
    JBD, thanks for your post. It's no mystery why crazietalk.net started (for those that don't know..you can read here.. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/viewt...#p21930)..that site was birthed in some of our feelings of overmoderation here. Instead of burdening the DBR mods with our concerns, and to make an extreme ruckus here, it was just simpler to set up our own site. That being said, we obviously still enjoy DBR and post here, but we do it within the confines of your rules. Speaking for myself, it's just easier to make the assumption that posts such as my basketball find (woohoo) or other seemingly minor threads would fit better in here, the LTE. No offense, but the DBR mods have never ceased to amaze me on some of their arbitrary decisions without explanation..so I'd rather bury some of my thoughts to share here in the safety of the LTE.
    I'm more than willing to offer my thoughts and ideas outside of the LTE, so I'll follow your request. I'll be doing it with an eye of trepidation, though. Hopefully others will as well, and DBR will be better for it.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 08-01-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

As JB said, if you are unsure, send a quick PM to one of the mods. I am sure you will get a fairly fast response. Alternately, post your item and immediately "report it" to the mods, which will certainly get our attention and we can judge if it is something that better fits in the LTE and move it here. That is a fast and easy process for a mod to accomplish.

Thanks. Personally, I think JB's request is a way of integrating some interesting content back into the DBR, which is always a good thing in my mind. Plus, the more folks who read a post, the more likely the poster is to get a fresh perspective adn/or interesting response. That should be the goal of virtually every post here, IMO.

--Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Folks, if I may invade LTE space briefly, I have a serious discussion topic that you can help me with. I haven't talked to the other mods about this yet, but I'll report this post to them so that they will see it and can respond if they have something to say on the topic.

As you well know, the LTE has formed its own subculture of DBR. It's mostly formed by a small group of active posters, many of which that post here much more than anywhere else on the board. Some of you post frequently elsewhere, and some folks that aren't regulars here drop in every now and then. And there are even some that just lurk here for the vicarious thrill of it, I guess.

While much of the content of this thread would be characterized as "needless" in other threads, we mods tend to leave you guys alone in the LTE. You sort of have your own special rules. If you were abusing the system with flame wars or spamming or something, we wouldn't tolerate that, but as long as it's self-contained "needless" posting, we let it go. When we reigned in things on the rest of the board, those of you that could mostly contain your desire for a more "conversational" discussion within this thread have stayed. Those that couldn't - like Earljam - moved to Crazietalk (voluntarily or not), where you guys can set the rules. Since then, things have been mostly copacetic. There's still some bleed out of this thread into other threads, and we've handed out a few "needless post" reminders or wrist slaps from time to time, but for the most part, you guys do a good job of restraining yourselves.

What concerns me is when I see you guys sharing things here that would be legitimate content on the rest of the boards. In just the last week, Sue's pics of the USA basketball game, ArkieDukie's St.Louis barbeque find, and maybe even CB&B's Duke basketball find would all be legit topics for discussion with the larger DBR community. (BTW, thanks to Sue for recognizing this and creating the thread with a link to her pics.) While the LTE isn't a closed group, most folks ignore it, and so the occasional post of wider interest is lost.

What I'd ask is for you folks to be conscious of this. Kind of like Coach K asks that all of his players "unpack their bags" when joining the team, I'd like to remind you all that you're part of the larger DBR community. Yes, you are a circle of friends here that enjoy sharing with each other at a level that the rest of the community doesn't engage on, but still, as things arise here that may be of wider interest, please either post them outside of this thread or double post them here and in another thread. If you're not sure whether a topic might be a legit OTB or EKB topic, then send a PM to me or one of the other active mods. I, for one, would love to see an OTB thread on Jarhead's pending Northern Europe trip and visit to The Hermitage.

Maybe I'm offbase here, but I think to do other than this would risk you guys becoming more marginalized and little more than a Crazietalk outpost on DBR - something I'm sure neither you guys nor my fellow mods want to see happening.

Or you could come over to crazietalk where we talk about everything freely, and we could discuss it there.

I'm not sure how to respond to the "we" versus "you" that you referenced in your second to the last paragraph. It's not exactly a warm welcoming feeling. . .

I didn't start a new thread for Pappy's because I figured that the audience for good barbecue in St. Louis is a bit limited, and I didn't want to start an unnecessary thread. If there are more St. Louis folks in these parts than I'm aware of, I REALLY need to start a thread on good Mexican food in St. Louis. I have yet to find any, and I'd love to find out if someone else has.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I didn't start a new thread for Pappy's because I figured that the audience for good barbecue in St. Louis is a bit limited, and I didn't want to start an unnecessary thread. If there are more St. Louis folks in these parts than I'm aware of, I REALLY need to start a thread on good Mexican food in St. Louis. I have yet to find any, and I'd love to find out if someone else has.
    FWIW, I think a thread titled "St. Louis Restaurants" would be just fine, and you could see if anyone else has something to add on the subject. IIRC, Throatybeard is in St. Louis, so you're not the only frequent OTB poster that haunts the area. Plus, whenever I'm taking a roadtrip, I like to consult DBR for just this sort of reason. I got some great ideas for dining in KC when I was there back in 2005.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

FWIW, I think a thread titled "St. Louis Restaurants" would be just fine, and you could see if anyone else has something to add on the subject. IIRC, Throatybeard is in St. Louis, so you're not the only frequent OTB poster that haunts the area. Plus, whenever I'm taking a roadtrip, I like to consult DBR for just this sort of reason. I got some great ideas for dining in KC when I was there back in 2005.
    JBDuke, I had that same thought as I was eating supper at what is possibly the worst Mexican restaurant I have ever eaten at. Seems like it's my duty to save my fellow DBR readers/posters from a similar fate.

As it happens, Throatybeard lives just down the street from me. He was a great source of info when I moved here - he and Mrs. Throaty gave me a tour of the town.

Hey JBD, thanks for the note in the LTE. You're right, the subculture of LTE denizens has, for the most part, migrated over to CTN. There are a few of us (Sue71, Jarhead, me, off the top of my head) who still probably spend the predominant amout of time on DBR, but since the split, I tend to lurk in both places rather than post in either.

I do appreciate that the mods have pretty much left the LTE alone - I did wonder if you guys were going to come in and chop out the older posts, if anything, just for the interests of server space.

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Friday. Have a great weekend.

This thread has dropped WAY too far down the page. Something must be done.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    This thread has dropped WAY too far down the page. Something must be done.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Why?

Why not?

I have a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Why not?

Double your pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Double your pleasure.
    Double the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I have a headache.
    I'm sorry. Can you take something for that? The rest of the day off, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I'm sorry. Can you take something for that? The rest of the day off, perhaps?
    You mean like a furlough-induced (heh) 4-day weekend with a guest visiting from back East?

I think I will be "sick" tomorrow.