Page 2342 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 134218422242229223322340234123422343234423522392244228423342 ... LastLast
Results 46,821 to 46,840 of 67409
    Got cold on the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Got cold on the coast.
    It did, yes. And windy.

Where are you, fellow DBR poster?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    My reckoning has been with violence in sports. Football, in particular, is such a damaging sport for the players, and it is soooo wildly popular. To me it is just a step or two short of watching boxing or UFC...
    Agreed here as well, especially w/r/t college football, where players play themselves into early graves for (up until the near future) no pay, with no promise of it ever really paying off for them.
    I watch very little football anymore and do not miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It did, yes. And windy.

Where are you, fellow DBR poster?
    Pawleys Island/Georgetown area in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    No, Harvard doesn't give out athletic scholarships, none of the Ivies do. That actually makes for more generous financial aid though for everybody. Tuition is on a sliding scale for the entire student body and although they don't give out athletic scholarships, they have plenty of financial aid to offer the admitted athletes who cannot afford to go without financial aid. That's a small minority of the admitted athletes though. Someday if you're bored, check out where the ~200 men on Harvard's crew teams went to high school. When I hear people advocating for the end of legacy admits at our more elite institutions, I argue back with the point that unless you end athletic admits as well, you won't really put a dent in the problem. 40 varsity sports teams. 40. Harvard admits less than 2000 students a year. I would say 5 freshman per team as an average is not an unreasonable estimate. That's 200 admits for athletics every year or slightly more than 10% of all admitted students. The overall acceptance rate at Harvard is about 4% now. Recruited athletes acceptance rate is not quite 100% but it's close.
    Ahh, so if they can't get Johhny/Judy in one door, there is always another.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Agreed here as well, especially w/r/t college football, where players play themselves into early graves for (up until the near future) no pay, with no promise of it ever really paying off for them.
    I watch very little football anymore and do not miss it.
    Well, football is almost certainly not the best solution for this, but a lot of the kids playing football would not even be considering attending college without it (for a variety of reasons financial and otherwise). Would they be better off going to school and not playing football? In some, perhaps most cases yes, but school + football probably still beats no school + no football.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Well, football is almost certainly not the best solution for this, but a lot of the kids playing football would not even be considering attending college without it (for a variety of reasons financial and otherwise). Would they be better off going to school and not playing football? In some, perhaps most cases yes, but school + football probably still beats no school + no football.
    This is a good point. Sports, regardless of how you feel about them, can offer kids a path out. That doesn't make them completely uncomplicated, but it is something that needs to be acknowledged. Things can be dangerous, troubling and also beneficial.

Great point, Ace. I’d love to see a breakdown of how many college football players had no fallback option to fund college absent a scholarship.

Great point, Ace. I’d love to see a breakdown of how many college football players had no fallback option to fund college absent a scholarship.
    Wait. My biggest takeaway is we can call Acymetric Ace. We can do that?!?! Holy crap what a great nickname. I am insanely jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    …I am insanely jealous.
    You should be, Clem.

You should be, Clem.
    Yes. Exactly.

Wait. My biggest takeaway is we can call Acymetric Ace. We can do that?!?! Holy crap what a great nickname. I am insanely jealous.
    Sure you are, Deuce.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    But that's what needs to change. Football is not a way out. It's brain damage in pursuit of a nearly impossible goal. Playing a D1 varsity sport in college is akin to having a full time job. It is not just football players who spend 60+ hours a week on sports related activities during their sports' season, it's all the athletes. I used to laugh at that ad for the NCAA showing the female student in a chemistry lab, the one that talked about how many college athletes would be going pro in something other than sports. College athletes don't major in chemistry or anything else that requires a lot of time in the lab, they quite simply do not have time. Yes, yes, there are a few exceptions. In 20 years of teaching an upper level course for physics majors at Harvard, my husband had 2 athletes take the course. 2. In 20 years. Both were track athletes who could arrange their solo practice time around labs.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 11-03-2021 at 05:43 PM.

Sure you are, Deuce.
    Thanks Ted Bundabergdevil.

Thanks Ted Bundabergdevil.
    I go by bun bun or not at all.

I go by bun bun or not at all.
    I support this.

But that's what needs to change. Football is not a way out. It's brain damage in pursuit of a nearly impossible goal. Playing a D1 varsity sport in college is akin to having a full time job. It is not just football players who spend 60+ hours a week on sports related activities during their sports' season, it's all the athletes. I used to laugh at that ad for the NCAA showing the female student in a chemistry lab, the one that talked about how many college athletes would be going pro in something other than sports. College athletes don't major in chemistry or anything else that requires a lot of time in the lab, they quite simply do not have time. Yes, yes, there are a few exceptions. In 20 years of teaching an upper level course for physics majors at Harvard, my husband had 2 athletes take the course. 2. In 20 years. Both were track athletes who could arrange their solo practice time around labs.
    I dated a Duke women’s lax player in college. IIRC, she was the first lax player to ever graduate from Pratt. Or one of the first…

She worked much harder in college than I ever have in my life. I used to spend the night and rollout of bed at 9:00 AM or so as she was coming back from a 2 hour morning workout and study hall.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I dated a Duke women’s lax player in college. IIRC, she was the first lax player to ever graduate from Pratt. Or one of the first…

She worked much harder in college than I ever have in my life. I used to spend the night and rollout of bed at 9:00 AM or so as she was coming back from a 2 hour morning workout and study hall.
    Good for her! Do engineers have labs? I probably shouldn't have included all STEM subjects in the discussion, math is another major that might fit in with the schedule of a varsity athlete. The worry there would be keeping the GPA up to the required levels to continue to participate in sports. The entire time I was at Duke, the math department gave the lowest grades. I don't think that changed much over the years. When a math professor says that they will grade on a curve and center on a B-, they know what that means. Majoring in math is not a good idea for athletes for that reason.

Good for her! Do engineers have labs? I probably shouldn't have included all STEM subjects in the discussion, math is another major that might fit in with the schedule of a varsity athlete. The worry there would be keeping the GPA up to the required levels to continue to participate in sports. The entire time I was at Duke, the math department gave the lowest grades. I don't think that changed much over the years. When a math professor says that they will grade on a curve and center on a B-, they know what that means. Majoring in math is not a good idea for athletes for that reason.
    Yes, engineers have labs.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yes, engineers have labs.
    Golden? Black?