Page 1924 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 92414241824187419141922192319241925192619341974202424242924 ... LastLast
Results 38,461 to 38,480 of 67397
    "I have an underwater camera just in case I crash my car into a river, and at the last minute I see a photo opportunity of a fish that I have never seen." --Mitch Hedberg

"My sister wanted to be an actress, but she never made it. She does live in a trailer. She got half way. She's an actress, she just never gets called to the set." --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    https://youtu.be/EKu7TYWNxqA

The collective scream you hear this afternoon will be from my coworkers when my promotion is announced. They have all been with the company at least a decade longer than I have. In some circles being in the same position for 15 to 20 years and never being promoted and never seeking a promotion is seen as a recognition of your skill-set. I can promise you that the two reactions are going to be "Wait. Why did he get this job?!?! I didn't know this job existwd!!!!" And also: Wait. We could try to have increased levels of responsibility?!?!"
    My assumption is this is exactly how the announcement is going to go down.
    Increased level of responsibility is overrated. It can really put a damper on an otherwise chill life.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Increased level of responsibility is overrated. It can really put a damper on an otherwise chill life.
    This has been my mantra since moving here. They keep on trying to push more on me but I've been able to fend it off so far.

But how then would you smite your enemies?

Life comes with an Ignore function.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Life comes with an Ignore function.
    Uggggh! This makes you sound like the kind of person who would like to relax on vacation. The thought of doing that makes me want to vomit. A vacation means being super active in a new place.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This has been my mantra since moving here. They keep on trying to push more on me but I've been able to fend it off so far.
    Yes. My personal level of ambition has always skewed heavily toward the life side of things, which I understand requires money but as I’ve gotten older I have begun to seriously come to grips with the fact that I don’t actually want to be a bigwig (in whatever field).

My wife is grappling with that now. She’s been ID-Ed as the successor to the current ED at her non-profit. She really doesn’t know if she likes that it would want it.

I used to think that kind of thinking was bad, particularly with all the eager young conquerors at Duke, but I’m trying to put it to bed.

Cuddles and smiles.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Yes. My personal level of ambition has always skewed heavily toward the life side of things, which I understand requires money but as I’ve gotten older I have begun to seriously come to grips with the fact that I don’t actually want to be a bigwig (in whatever field).

My wife is grappling with that now. She’s been ID-Ed as the successor to the current ED at her non-profit. She really doesn’t know if she likes that it would want it.

I used to think that kind of thinking was bad, particularly with all the eager young conquerors at Duke, but I’m trying to put it to bed.
    This exchange from my annual review with my boss (around 10 years ago, maybe 15)

Boss: You are never 1st author on any of our papers.
    Me: Are you going to fire me because I don't have enough 1st authorships?
    Boss: No.
    Me: Give them to people who need them for their careers.
    Boss: Sure, but we could probably get you a couple of 1st authorships if you want them.
    Me: When it's a play I've written, I want 1st and only authorship.

One thing I have discovered in high powered academic research (I am at Harvard after all), if you don't care about taking credit, you get tons of publications. My Q rating is rather high for someone who has never been a PI.

Once though, for political reasons, I was left off of a paper. Personally, I didn't care. Ethically, I did. According to the journal's authorship guidelines, I should have been an author. I had come on the project near the end to finish up most of the statistical analysis because the previous person had left. (I generated all the tables used in the paper.) My boss had loaned me out to a different department (a common occurrence) and the PI never interacted with me. Apparently he was the one who refused to put me on the paper. I wrote an email to the person who I did work with and told them the same thing about the difference between my personal and ethical feelings on the matter. Then I said that I was sending the email and keeping a copy just in case any ethical questions were ever raised about the paper. As gently as I could I told them I was adopting CYA mode. Then I told my boss what I had done and said that I was not willing to work with that group again.

Uggggh! This makes you sound like the kind of person who would like to relax on vacation. The thought of doing that makes me want to vomit. A vacation means being super active in a new place.
    Gee, things were going so well. This makes me want to punch you in the nose. I am all about some relaxation on vacation. People that move around too much while on vacation are irksome.

Irksome is a wonderful word that is not used nearly enough.

Flightradar24! That plane above my house is going to Ethiopia from DC, that one over there is going to Dallas from Paris...Kyrie might want to think about that...

I delayed getting a promotion in the Navy, because at E-5, I was able to concentrate on doing my job of maintaining my shipboard target tracking/missile guidance radar, at which I was very good and which I considered relatively important during Viet Nam years. My radar had the highest fleet-wide target kill rate for that particular missile system. A promotion to E-6 became more administratively responsible, with less hands-on. It was only after getting married and needing more money that I relented and got the promotion. I was uncomfortable in that position, and subsequently did not seek a promotion to E-7 either.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Flightradar24! That plane above my house is going to Ethiopia from DC, that one over there is going to Dallas from Paris...Kyrie might want to think about that...
    Neat site. Do you subscribe?

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Gee, things were going so well. This makes me want to punch you in the nose. I am all about some relaxation on vacation. People that move around too much while on vacation are irksome.
    But I feel like we had a REALLY good day and a half. Don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I like it. These past few days of work have been especially irksome.

But I feel like we had a REALLY good day and a half. Don't you?
    I've been so slammed at work, I've hardly had time to goof off on DBR. Probably why we've done so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Totally agree. And I'm the one who is irksome.