Page 1834 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 83413341734178418241832183318341835183618441884193423342834 ... LastLast
Results 36,661 to 36,680 of 67371
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    A lot of Texas country/red dirt music still leans into the outlaw pretty hard.

Outlaw Country is a favorite for me on Sirius/XM, although for the last half year I have been oddly living on the classical music channel. I have really grown fond of it, much better in the car than news (which I have quit since October or so except for newspapers and other written sources).

Yes. As Onyx said in their seminal work Slam: "Now everybody wanna sound grimey." I like my country and rap to be a little dirty and rough around the edges.

Maybe that's why those venues keep getting shut down for health violations.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Maybe that's why those venues keep getting shut down for health violations.
    Heh heh...

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    https://www.loudersound.com/features...d-songs-ever/5

I looked this up and listened to at least a bit of most of them. I knew one song. To further demonstrate my dearth of classic rock knowledge, I actually looked up Led Zeppelin by mistake because I'm not really sure I know the difference between the two. I knew 4 of their songs. I think this is incredibly weird for a person in his late 40s. But I am almost completely unaware of either of them.
    Dude, coming from NC, you should not openly admit that.

Going healthy today, chocolate chip muffins.

Last of the corned beef tonight for St. Patty's day.

All of my friends were into classic rock and then hair bands. I was all country, all the time.
    My friends would have totally beaten up your friends. We were into "alternative" rock - Joy Division, Psychedelic Furs, Human Sexual Response, The Church. Actually your friends pretty much bullied my friends with the long hair and eye makeup. Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    Any "best practices" for cooking bacon? Like a whole pound?
    We bake it in a disposable pan, easy cleanup...just turn it once...maybe that makes me an ecoterrorist, I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Going healthy today, chocolate chip muffins.

Last of the corned beef tonight for St. Patty's day.
    Corned beef and cabbage tonight, with Reubens tomorrow if the storms don't take us out.

Now I want chocolate chip muffins. And I think there is a pack of Martha White in the pantry.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    There was a restaurant on Peachtree Street next to the Margaret Mitchell house in Atlanta when I was in law school. They would try to talk you out of the vindaloo; you had to convince them you knew what you were asking for before they served you.

Once I tried to go there, and the front door was locked even though there were two people eating in there. No luck getting in. Next day, found out it was the Dalai Lama who was in town to meet with Jimmy Carter to discuss an international dispute.

Needless to say — I loved that place.
    About a decade ago there was a great Dalai Lama dining story in the New Yorker. He was in town being feted left and right, they had some very nice meals for him, all vegetarian of course...alas, Tibet (being at the altitude it is) is NOT a place that is widely vegetarian, nor is the Dalai Lama...so he got back to his room at the Waldorf and ordered up a big juicy steak.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Dude, coming from NC, you should not openly admit that.
    I have a group of friends that gets together and smokes cigars, drinks beer, eats massive quantities of meat and discusses politics about every 6 weeks or so. We have done this for 5 years or so, even socially distanced during the pandemic. They never cease to be amazed that I am completely unaware of this music. I am basically the classic rock version of Nell.

I am basically the classic rock version of Nell.
    THAT is funny!

Actually your friends pretty much bullied my friends with the long hair and eye makeup. Nevermind.
    My bestie in high school triple majored in Russian, political science and history at Duke. The only thing we beat up is the SAT.

My bestie in high school triple majored in Russian, political science and history at Duke. The only thing we beat up is the SAT.
    I had a roommate at Duke who tripled in electrical engineering, biomedical engineering, and computer science. He left high school a year early because he had completely exhausted the science and math curriculum (at the NC School of Science and Math, no less!). He finished his biomedical engineering PhD last week, but he has no high school diploma.

THAT is funny!
    I chuckled typing it.

I have a group of friends that gets together and smokes cigars, drinks beer, eats massive quantities of meat and discusses politics about every 6 weeks or so. We have done this for 5 years or so, even socially distanced during the pandemic. They never cease to be amazed that I am completely unaware of this music. I am basically the classic rock version of Nell.
    Did you just make a “Tay in the wind” reference?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I had a roommate at Duke who tripled in electrical engineering, biomedical engineering, and computer science. He left high school a year early because he had completely exhausted the science and math curriculum (at the NC School of Science and Math, no less!). He finished his biomedical engineering PhD last week, but he has no high school diploma.
    I know and work with a lot of folks like this in medicine. LOVE doing anatomy and physiology/Physics lectures for these folks. Basically as soon as I diagram it out on the whiteboard, they understand it better than I do anyway. They are generally not particularly skilled at communicating, however, and I once told one of these guys he seemed particularly gregarious that day because he was able to look at the tops of the other guy's shoes as he mumbled his answers in rounds.

I know and work with a lot of folks like this in medicine. LOVE doing anatomy and physiology/Physics lectures for these folks. Basically as soon as I diagram it out on the whiteboard, they understand it better than I do anyway. They are generally not particularly skilled at communicating, however, and I once told one of these guys he seemed particularly gregarious that day because he was able to look at the tops of the other guy's shoes as he mumbled his answers in rounds.
    Thankfully, this roommate of mine wasn't like that...fun, personable, very kind and welcoming.
    He was always splicing together custom length ethernet cables and even building entire computers for fellow students to make extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Thankfully, this roommate of mine wasn't like that...fun, personable, very kind and welcoming.
    He was always splicing together custom length ethernet cables and even building entire computers for fellow students to make extra cash.
    I literally cannot imagine what that sort of skill set is like.