Page 1411 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 4119111311136114011409141014111412141314211461151119112411 ... LastLast
Results 28,201 to 28,220 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Nope the Wonderland stop at the end of the Blue Line.

That is better than the Mall, its best days were many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Perfect band name! Instead of Siouxsie, how about the Drippin' Banshees. Or the Rainsoaked Banshees.
    When I hear Siouxsie, I always think of this:

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That is better than the Mall, its best days were many years ago.
    I think that describes most malls. As best I can tell, only a few, select (i.e., near wealthy suburbs with otherwise limited shopping) thrive.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I think that describes most malls. As best I can tell, only a few, select (i.e., near wealthy suburbs with otherwise limited shopping) thrive.

-jk
    Where would Streets of Southport Mall in Durham fit into your equation?

As an aside, I really like that mall and go to it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Where would Streets of Southport Mall in Durham fit into your equation?

As an aside, I really like that mall and go to it often.
    Correction: Streets of Southpoint

I don't know that mall or its neighborhood well enough to really say. The list of stores on their site suggests a wealthier clientele though. I'm not sure what competing shopping experiences are nearby.

As I recall, South Square Mall (and all its leases) were purchased by the Southpoint developer so they could shut it down - as the only major competition at the time - before it became the big box/bargain strip center it is today.

-jk

Is it coincidence that the Ymmm, Beer thread has gained ground on LTE during the stay-at-home orders when the beer is flowing like wine? I think not.

The only mall that appears to be thriving(at least before Covid-19) was the high end mall which counted Neiman-Marcus, Nordstrom, and others as their anchor tenants. The big attraction for the place, besides being next to Six Flags Fiesta Texas, is a location for foreign visitors to get immediate return of the local sales tax collected from them.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Is it coincidence that the Ymmm, Beer thread has gained ground on LTE during the stay-at-home orders when the beer is flowing like wine? I think not.
    I agree, I think not too. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I agree, I think not too. Does that make sense?
    That is flowing like wine?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Except that it was gaining ground months before that as well.

Does this mean that beer is superior to, well, everything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Except that it was gaining ground months before that as well.

Does this mean that beer is superior to, well, everything else?
    So, having a friend whose son was killed by a drunk driver in January of last year, I’m going to answer no to that beer is superior question.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I don't know that mall or its neighborhood well enough to really say. The list of stores on their site suggests a wealthier clientele though. I'm not sure what competing shopping experiences are nearby.

As I recall, South Square Mall (and all its leases) were purchased by the Southpoint developer so they could shut it down - as the only major competition at the time - before it became the big box/bargain strip center it is today.

-jk
    Growing up in Durham, I spent a huge chunk of my life at South Square Mall. It broke my heart a little when it started going downhill. Someone posted some old photos of the inside on Facebook, and we were talking about how much the mall in Stranger Things looked like South Square. Obviously, the Duffer brothers used it as a model since that was where they grew up, but how they managed to find a mall in the Atlanta area that had the same railing is amazing. I really think it must have been the same builders.

Anyway, I live not far from Southpoint and have NEVER set foot in it. Was against it from the beginning and still am. I mourn the rolling pastures and 200-year-old oak trees that were once there.

Somber tone for the LTE this morning. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Anyone use the Calm or Headspace apps or something similar?
    I've been using the Headspace app for the last 6 weeks. One of my CCs gifted me a free year of Calm. Haven't done a comparison yet so was wondering if anyone had used Calm in particular or could provide a comparison.

Growing up in Durham, I spent a huge chunk of my life at South Square Mall. It broke my heart a little when it started going downhill. Someone posted some old photos of the inside on Facebook, and we were talking about how much the mall in Stranger Things looked like South Square. Obviously, the Duffer brothers used it as a model since that was where they grew up, but how they managed to find a mall in the Atlanta area that had the same railing is amazing. I really think it must have been the same builders.

Anyway, I live not far from Southpoint and have NEVER set foot in it. Was against it from the beginning and still am. I mourn the rolling pastures and 200-year-old oak trees that were once there.
    Well, yeah, I’d much rather have the pastures and trees, too, without question. But if it hadn’t been the mall they would have built something else on that land by now. The mall is not the problem, our culture is.

Well, yeah, I’d much rather have the pastures and trees, too, without question. But if it hadn’t been the mall they would have built something else on that land by now. The mall is not the problem, our culture is.
    The land was originally bought by the American Kennel Club, and the plan was to move their headquarters here from NY. Apparently, this plan was not known to its members, and they raised a stink about moving it. The plan was scrapped, and the land was sold to the mall developers. The Durham City Official lying jerks promised to not let sprawl occur, but of course it did. And it never brought anywhere near the tax revenue that they said it would.

The kennel club would have been much nicer. Just sayin'.

The land was originally bought by the American Kennel Club, and the plan was to move their headquarters here from NY. Apparently, this plan was not known to its members, and they raised a stink about moving it. The plan was scrapped, and the land was sold to the mall developers. The Durham City Official lying jerks promised to not let sprawl occur, but of course it did. And it never brought anywhere near the tax revenue that they said it would.

The kennel club would have been much nicer. Just sayin'.
    I agree 100% (that the AKC would have been much nicer).

Maybe we should reboot the LTE?