Page 631 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 13153158162162963063163263364168173111311631 ... LastLast
Results 12,601 to 12,620 of 67416
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    WOW! I'm glad that you're okay. Did you go to the doctor or anything?

The police report should have the other driver's insurance information in it. In a few days, you'll begin to get all kinds of solicitations in the mail from attorneys who want to represent you in your personal injury case against this guy. Some of the attorneys will send you courtesy copies of the police report. I have a basket full of solicitations that I received last fall when I got hit.

What kind of car are you going to get now? In the interim, make the other driver's insurance company pay for a rental car for you.
    I have the paperwork with the case number so I hope, when the report is available that it will have all his insurance info - so I don't know what I'll get from them yet. Everyone on scene refused medical care - the EMT came and talked to me but I think the most I will have is some stiffness and bruises. I don't even remember if I bounced off the door or anything. I love seat belts!

I was planning on looking at Honda Accords (manual transmission), or Toyota Prius or Ford Focus Hybrids. How's that for variety?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post

I was planning on looking at Honda Accords (manual transmission), or Toyota Prius or Ford Focus Hybrids. How's that for variety?
    Don't ignore the Hyundai's! I love my V6 Sonata (I get ~27 to 28 mpg on the highway, and have gotten over 30 when driving <65, which isn't often), and the new, larger Genesis V6 is rated at 30 mpg because it has a 6 speed automatic transmission (versus my 5 speed automatic). I'd trade my Sonata for a Genesis (even up) in a heartbeat, but the Genesis is quite a bit more $.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Don't ignore the Hyundai's! I love my V6 Sonata (I get ~27 to 28 mpg on the highway, and have gotten over 30 when driving <65, which isn't often), and the new, larger Genesis V6 is rated at 30 mpg because it has a 6 speed automatic transmission (versus my 5 speed automatic). I'd trade my Sonata for a Genesis (even up) in a heartbeat, but the Genesis is quite a bit more $.
    Do they come in a manual transmission?

I'm weird - I either want a manual transmission or a hybrid. Last time I bought a car, I wanted to test drive a 5 speed Camry. When the salesman said they didn't come that way, I think I shocked him by walking out.

VERY glad you're OK!

Was your car totaled? Almost totaled? Will the insurance company pay you a fair value for it? Did you owe money on it? Were you "upside down" on the loan? Do you have gap insurance on your loan? DD can give you some advice on dealing with the insurance company to make sure you get a fair value on your settlement if you keep the car and have it repaired (compensation for lost future resale value after a major wreck).
    I haven't finished with that yet. CathyCa would be a better advisor, I think, as she is farther along in the process and is an attorney (I think she has stated that before so I am not revealing anything personal with that).

I have the paperwork with the case number so I hope, when the report is available that it will have all his insurance info - so I don't know what I'll get from them yet. Everyone on scene refused medical care - the EMT came and talked to me but I think the most I will have is some stiffness and bruises. I don't even remember if I bounced off the door or anything. I love seat belts!

I have 2 Honda Accords with manual trannies I'd be interested in selling. PM me if interested. The Ford hybrid is the Fusion, not the Focus, and is brand new this year as a 2010 model.

Do they come in a manual transmission?

I'm weird - I either want a manual transmission or a hybrid. Last time I bought a car, I wanted to test drive a 5 speed Camry. When the salesman said they didn't come that way, I think I shocked him by walking out.
    I don't know if it is available as a straight manual tranny. I can slide the shifter to the right and manually shift all I want without a clutch (up one or down one gear at a time, there is no "H" pattern). The slightly Elantra, which now comes as a station wagon also, may have a manual tranny version.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I have 2 Honda Accords with manual trannies I'd be interested in selling. PM me if interested. The Ford hybrid is the Fusion, not the Focus, and is brand new this year as a 2010 model.
    Thanks for the offer - but I'm going for a new car rather than used. My father's teachings stick with me and, as this will only be the 4th car I have ever owned, not overly extravagant in my mind.

Not sure why I keep mixing the Ford names up in my mind - there is still a federal tax credit for the Fusion/whatever the Mercury version is named - although only 50%. I typically go with Japanese auto makers but will consider Ford as they did not take bailout money.

OMG DIK I'm glad to hear you're ok. 9F vibes to you!

Thanks for the offer - but I'm going for a new car rather than used. My father's teachings stick with me and, as this will only be the 4th car I have ever owned, not overly extravagant in my mind.

Not sure why I keep mixing the Ford names up in my mind - there is still a federal tax credit for the Fusion/whatever the Mercury version is named - although only 50%. I typically go with Japanese auto makers but will consider Ford as they did not take bailout money.
    Glad to hear you are relatively unscathed, physically.

I agree, Ford is the only domestic automaker I would consider if I were purchasing new any time soon. I hope to keep my vehicles going for another 3 or 4 years at least.

One of the auto mags had a comparison 2-3 months ago of the following hybrids: Altima, Fusion, Malibu and Camry. The Fusion topped the list. I have a contact with one of the local Ford dealers, and though we have bought a # of Hondas over the last 10 years, we also had an Expedition and traded that on a Freestyle and have been satisfied. He makes sure I get special Blue Oval service with each visit to the dealer. We may replace our Freestyle next year with the Fusion hybrid.

Thanks for all the vibes and comments. I imagine I'll feel shaken for a while - and probably worry about every ache and pain I have wondering if it is something serious. I sure wish the body came with pop-up flags indicating when something should be checked out.

I've been avoiding the whole car shopping thing for about a year so this will get me moving on it. This is not the motivation I would recommend to anyone. A friend offered her husband to do the wheeling/dealing part for me because he likes it - I may just take them up on it.

Thanks for all the vibes and comments. I imagine I'll feel shaken for a while - and probably worry about every ache and pain I have wondering if it is something serious. I sure wish the body came with pop-up flags indicating when something should be checked out.

I've been avoiding the whole car shopping thing for about a year so this will get me moving on it. This is not the motivation I would recommend to anyone. A friend offered her husband to do the wheeling/dealing part for me because he likes it - I may just take them up on it.
    He sounds like me. I've done that a time or two for friends.

9F 9F 9F

He sounds like me. I've done that a time or two for friends.
    I just don't buy cars often enough to feel comfortable in the haggling phase. I did the bargaining/haggling thing a lot as a teenager but that was many moons ago. Maybe I should pick my vehicle and send you, Kevin, and another friend Scott out to try for the best deal.

I just don't buy cars often enough to feel comfortable in the haggling phase. I did the bargaining/haggling thing a lot as a teenager but that was many moons ago. Maybe I should pick my vehicle and send you, Kevin, and another friend Scott out to try for the best deal.
    DIK, glad to hear you walked away (mostly) unscathed!! And props also for looking for manual trannies, too. I thought the Turk family would be the last owners of stick shifts on normal civilian cars in America. (I imagine there will always be a manual option for those upscale German performance sports cars).

And I also share your distaste for haggling, that's another reason to postpone buying a car until absolutely necessary. Good luck and keep us posted on the leading candidates after you've done some test driving...

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    DIK, glad to hear you walked away (mostly) unscathed!! And props also for looking for manual trannies, too. I thought the Turk family would be the last owners of stick shifts on normal civilian cars in America. (I imagine there will always be a manual option for those upscale German performance sports cars).

And I also share your distaste for haggling, that's another reason to postpone buying a car until absolutely necessary. Good luck and keep us posted on the leading candidates after you've done some test driving...
    We have 3 vehicles in the devildeac household with manual trannies and 2 with auto. My wife, dear sweet woman that she is, complains very little about driving one of the 5 or 6 speed manual tranny cars that we own. The manual transmissions are becoming more difficult to find however, even on the German sports sedans/coupes.

Yeah, finding a manual took a bit of work three years ago (last time I was in the market). I found a PT Cruiser and am very happy with it. Mrs Turk doesn't mind driving it, and we both enjoy the reaction we get when someone notices it's a stick. Mostly positive, especially from co-workers born overseas...

Yeah, finding a manual took a bit of work three years ago (last time I was in the market). I found a PT Cruiser and am very happy with it. Mrs Turk doesn't mind driving it, and we both enjoy the reaction we get when someone notices it's a stick. Mostly positive, especially from co-workers born overseas...
    I was going to look at KIAs but the manual transmission was only available on the lowest end vehicle of the model I was looking at - and it didn't have a moon/sun/whatever they call it now roof, which I would like. That requirement could limit the cars available to me.

I was going to look at KIAs but the manual transmission was only available on the lowest end vehicle of the model I was looking at - and it didn't have a moon/sun/whatever they call it now roof, which I would like. That requirement could limit the cars available to me.
    Might I suggest a PT Cruiser convertible? "Take your top off!!"

Might I suggest a PT Cruiser convertible? "Take your top off!!"
    You really want her to buy a Chrysler from a dealer who's not going to be there to service it for her? We currently own a T&C, but I wouldn't buy another one.

9F 9F 9F

You really want her to buy a Chrysler from a dealer who's not going to be there to service it for her? We currently own a T&C, but I wouldn't buy another one.
    Although the thought of a convertible is intriguing - the thought of buying a car from a dealer/company that may not be there to service it doesn't appeal. And I don't trust the government warranty promise.