Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Blue birds are in the thrush family, and as such rarely if ever eat seeds. They will take berries, chunks of apple and really relish meal worms. They will also eat scrambled eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    OK, another question.

I have two pair of Eastern Bluebirds that will swing by about once/twice a day. But they don't go to my feeder. There are a couple of bushes/shrubs on the opposite side of the house that they stop in for a few minutes and then jet.

Do they normally avoid feeders? Or do I not have the proper food to entice them? Do they not like the crowds?

Thanks in advance...
    Mealworms are one option for Eastern Bluebirds.

This time of year, bluebirds and thrushes eat a lot of berries left over and drying on trees, which may be what yours are doing.

I had the pleasure of having a pair of Mountain Bluebirds nest underneath my deck this summer. It took two tries, but the nesting was apparently successful. I did not try mealworms, however.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Bluebirds are some of my favorites, and mealworms in a suet cake feeder have gotten the job done in drawing them to my feeders.

They will also draw in mockingbirds and catbirds.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Blue birds are in the thrush family, and as such rarely if ever eat seeds. They will take berries, chunks of apple and really relish meal worms. They will also eat scrambled eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Mealworms are one option for Eastern Bluebirds.

This time of year, bluebirds and thrushes eat a lot of berries left over and drying on trees, which may be what yours are doing.

I had the pleasure of having a pair of Mountain Bluebirds nest underneath my deck this summer. It took two tries, but the nesting was apparently successful. I did not try mealworms, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Bluebirds are some of my favorites, and mealworms in a suet cake feeder have gotten the job done in drawing them to my feeders.
    They will also draw in mockingbirds and catbirds.
    Mealworms! Looks like I'm headed to the pet store soon. Anyone have luck with dried versus live? I'm sure live will be better but sounds like a bit more of an investment.

They were definitely picking the berries off of a particular bush in the yard. Anyone ever try any other berries for them? Older strawberries or blueberries?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Mealworms! Looks like I'm headed to the pet store soon. Anyone have luck with dried versus live? I'm sure live will be better but sounds like a bit more of an investment.

They were definitely picking the berries off of a particular bush in the yard. Anyone ever try any other berries for them? Older strawberries or blueberries?
    From Michigan Bluebird Society:
    Meal worms, suet, sunflower hearts, softened fruits, and cornmeal muffins can all be fed to bluebirds. Most of these will be accepted during the cold weather months if bluebirds have wintered over. But, meal worms are the best food to feed bluebirds and they will readily eat them year-round.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Wal Mart has a nice selection of suet cakes, including one with meal worms.

Wal Mart has a nice selection of suet cakes, including one with meal worms.
    I decided a few years back that I never wanted to set foot in a Wal-Mart again and I've done a great job of it. (Maybe once in the past 4 years?) Thanks for the recommendation, I'm sure I can find them somewhere.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Feed and seed stores sell them too, but cost slightly more.

I have generally found that the pre-formed (smooth edges) suet cakes sold by stores do not attract birds as well as the hunks of plain suet I get at the grocery store...anyone else notice this?

A group (flock?) of about 5-6 Blue Jays have taken over today. First time for them to really go at the feeder/around it. Beautiful birds. Noisy. Aggressive.

A group (flock?) of about 5-6 Blue Jays have taken over today. First time for them to really go at the feeder/around it. Beautiful birds. Noisy. Aggressive.
    I’ve seen Stellar’s Jays (western relatives) launch coordinated assaults on picnicking families in Yosemite. Jays are pugnacious and smart.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I’ve seen Stellar’s Jays (western relatives) launch coordinated assaults on picnicking families in Yosemite. Jays are pugnacious and smart.
    And just like that. After 45 minutes to an hour of in and out, they're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    At Royal National Park in Australia, if you turn your head while having lunch in the picnic shelter, a Sulfur-crested Cockatoo will grab your food and fly away to a nearby field. They always feed themselves with their left foot.

It's amazing how much you can see in national parks anywhere.
    Sage Grouse

During my section hike of the A.T. through the White Mountains whenever we would take a snack break you would suddenly find yourself surrounded by Gray Jays. You could hold out your arm and they would come perch and eat out directly out of your hand.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    At Royal National Park in Australia, if you turn your head while having lunch in the picnic shelter, a Sulfur-crested Cockatoo will grab your food and fly away to a nearby field. They always feed themselves with their left foot.

It's amazing how much you can see in national parks anywhere.
    Nice. I seem to recall that family of birds favors a side (like we have dominant hands), is that why?

The lovely snow buntings have arrived, though I rarely see them at a feeder...once we have snow (duh) they arrive in packs, generally see them in flocks of between 10 and perhaps 60+ birds, and they move as a single unit in flocks at times, nice to behold...they especially like eating grit from the road...our sand truck came by today, and I encountered three different flocks picking at the grit...it doesn't take much to keep some birds happy.

Anyone else have them? I think they're limited mostly to New England and right along the Northeast coast...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I have generally found that the pre-formed (smooth edges) suet cakes sold by stores do not attract birds as well as the hunks of plain suet I get at the grocery store...anyone else notice this?
    Not had any issues with the store bought suet. They seem to eat it fine.

Not had any issues with the store bought suet. They seem to eat it fine.
    mealworm-seed-cake.jpg

Picked up one of these today. Best I could find at the local store. Has lots of dried mealworms. Immediately had the Titmouses and a Downy Woodpecker on it. Pretty late in the day here with a little rain coming so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I’ve been teaching online in West Palm Beach since March and have my feeder set up where I see it all day from my desk. From time to time, wild parrots visit and love the sunflower seeds. Actually, I believe they are members of the parakeet family although much larger than those sold as pets.