Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Concerts you have seen

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Such an underrated band. Glamour Boys applies too.
    I saw them open for The Stones (featuring Mick and Keith, a/k/a “the Glamour Twins”) at Grant Field in ‘91 +/-.

I was more of a Who fan than the Stones and had seen The Who a few times previously. First Stones show, the first few tunes were fine. Then Keith either came up from the fog or down from the clouds and HIT IT from then on out. That’s when I realized why they’re called The Greatest Rock Band In The World.

Pure Craic.

And Living Colour was one of the top three openers I’ve seen, along with The Clash (open for The Who) and Def Leppard (open for Billy Squier). Add the Nevilles for the Dead, Tom Petty and Dylan for the Dead (several shows), also Leo Kottke for Michael Hedges . . . .
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 11-15-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I saw them open for The Stones (featuring Mick and Keith, a/k/a “the Glamour Twins”) at Grant Field in ‘91 +/-.

I was more of a Who fan than the Stones and had seen The Who a few times previously. First Stones show, the first few tunes were fine. Then Keith either came up from the fog or down from the clouds and HIT IT from then on out. That’s when I realized why they’re called The Greatest Rock Band In The World.

Pure Craic.

And Living Colour was one of the top three openers I’ve seen, along with The Clash (open for The Who) and Def Leppard (open for Billy Squier). Add the Nevilles for the Dead, Tom Petty and Dylan for the Dead (several shows), also Leo Kottke for Michael Hedges . . . .
    I am jealous. I have a couple bands/artists left on my bucket list and they are two of them. Every time with the Stones something comes up. Missing the Wally Wade show was a (Heartbreaker).

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I am jealous. I have a couple bands/artists left on my bucket list and they are two of them. Every time with the Stones something comes up. Missing the Wally Wade show was a (Heartbreaker).
    Mine is Neil Young. Missed him a few times, afraid I’ve missed my chance.

Had a chance to see David Byrne on Broadway (Weezie IIRC was part of the motivation to not miss my chance) — the Talking Heads are the one band where everyone is still living and I’d fly anywhere to see a show if they reformed. Been lucky to see most others, more or less, that I want.

Byrne’s show is available on HBO+ — filmed by Spike Lee — highly recommend. And got an email that they are planning to revive the show on Broadway in the fall if possible. Just. Do. It.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Mine is Neil Young. Missed him a few times, afraid I’ve missed my chance.

Had a chance to see David Byrne on Broadway (Weezie IIRC was part of the motivation to not miss my chance) — the Talking Heads are the one band where everyone is still living and I’d fly anywhere to see a show if they reformed. Been lucky to see most others, more or less, that I want.

Byrne’s show is available on HBO+ — filmed by Spike Lee — highly recommend. And got an email that they are planning to revive the show on Broadway in the fall if possible. Just. Do. It.
    I am not much of a concert goer. Never have been really. The bands that I've seen live are quite limited and I've always much preferred seeing bands in clubs. BUT, two of the rather small number of musical acts that I've seen live are Neil Young (in Cameron) and Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense Tour (in Carmichael). If I could, I'd go back and give you my ticket to the Neil Young concert.

Isnt there a music thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I am not much of a concert goer. Never have been really. The bands that I've seen live are quite limited and I've always much preferred seeing bands in clubs. BUT, two of the rather small number of musical acts that I've seen live are Neil Young (in Cameron) and Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense Tour (in Carmichael). If I could, I'd go back and give you my ticket to the Neil Young concert.
    I visited Duke the day after that concert as a high school senior touring colleges. I probably still have a copy of the Chronicle review. I had a bootleg tape of that concert that was a favorite for years. I’m sure I listened to it dozens of times!

Best concerts I saw at Duke:

Clapton in Cameron
    R.E.M. in Page
    Jorma in Page
    Cindi Lauper/ Bangles at Cameron (ushered, went for the Bangles)
    Psychedelic Furs in Page
    Marshall Tucker on West Quad
    Barrence Whitfield and the Savages at the bar underneath Gilbert Adams
    Billy Idol at Cameron (don’t judge)

And — the many incredible bands we had in the Phi Kap section at kegs most Wednesday nights. Some of the best musicians I have ever met.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 11-15-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Pure Craic.

Living Color opened fir the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour in 89’. I was on the front row in Raleigh. Idk about 91’. Of course Mick and Keith are known as the Glimmer Twins but they’re quite glamorous as well.

And — the many incredible bands we had in the Phi Kap section at kegs most Wednesday nights. Some of the best musicians I have ever met.
    Who were you playing with?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Living Color opened fir the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour in 89’. I was on the front row in Raleigh. Idk about 91’. Of course Mick and Keith are known as the Glimmer Twins but they’re quite glamorous as well.
    You might be right about the year, it was that same tour and I was in ATL. It all rolls into one. . . .

And yes, glimmer not glamour.

I’m all torqued out about smash burgers on a different thread, can’t keep all things straight!

Hillary did warn us..

https://mobile.twitter.com/sketchy_j...06514341859329

Amazing really...

Sorry to interrupt the Talking Heads talk. Saw them in Birmingham (UK) 1979. I also saw David Byrne on his Rei Mono tour in Curitiba Brazil in 1990.

If you haven’t heard Rei Mono check this out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp1J...n-6veNPSpCBylT

Furn-I thought OPK and I were the only Talking Heads Fans on the board -ture.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/sketchy_j...06514341859329

Amazing really...

Sorry to interrupt the Talking Heads talk. Saw them in Birmingham (UK) 1979. I also saw David Byrne on his Rei Mono tour in Curitiba Brazil in 1990.

If you haven’t heard Rei Mono check this out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp1J...n-6veNPSpCBylT

Everybody loves Rei.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    That would be sad if true. One of the best American rock bands ever.

That would be sad if true. One of the best American rock bands ever.
    True and true...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

I visited Duke the day after that concert as a high school senior touring colleges. I probably still have a copy of the Chronicle review. I had a bootleg tape of that concert that was a favorite for years. I’m sure I listened to it dozens of times!

Best concerts I saw at Duke:

Clapton in Cameron
    R.E.M. in Page
    Jorma in Page
    Cindi Lauper/ Bangles at Cameron (ushered, went for the Bangles)
    Psychedelic Furs in Page
    Marshall Tucker on West Quad
    Barrence Whitfield and the Savages at the bar underneath Gilbert Adams
    Billy Idol at Cameron (don’t judge)

I also ushered at the Lauper/B's concert, and was much more impressed with Lauper than I expected to be. Also at (working or via a paid ticket) the Clapton, REM, and Furs shows, as well as UB40, Neil Young, and (best of the mainstream shows) Stevie Ray V. Probably had the most fun at two Duke Coffeehouse shows in 1987 - the Connells and Southern Culture on the Skids (both later to become local legends) - and shows at the Hideaway when I had friends in the band.

I'm a small venue, emerging artist guy. Probably started in 1973 or 1974, can't remember the exact date. I was stationed at Fort Benning, GA and had read in Rolling Stone about this guy Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

A bunch of us went to Atlanta to hear him. I can't remember the name of the venue but it was very small, not more than 100 seats, in a strip mall. Bruce and the band blew me away. They played two sets. Between sets the people at the table next to us invited Bruce over for a beer. He was a skinny, awkward dude in those days. He was sitting 10 feet away from us and I have forever regretted that I didn't ask him if he would pose for a a picture with me. Of course, I didn't have a camera and cellphones were not yet invented.

Great, great show.

Kiss 2x Ramones,black flag ,rem, driving and crying
    Cindy Lauper,ed sheeran,smithereens,starship,quater flash,the mandrels,the statler brothers and faith hill and tim mgraw.oh yeah i snuck into joan jett lol

My favorite was smithereens .absolutely felt like i was with them part of the action .

NWA, James Taylor, George Strait, Guns N Roses with Metallica, Dave Matthews band × 5. Best ever was George Strait. 4 hours of music and only number one hits. He is the GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I'm a small venue, emerging artist guy. Probably started in 1973 or 1974, can't remember the exact date. I was stationed at Fort Benning, GA and had read in Rolling Stone about this guy Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

A bunch of us went to Atlanta to hear him. I can't remember the name of the venue but it was very small, not more than 100 seats, in a strip mall. Bruce and the band blew me away. They played two sets. Between sets the people at the table next to us invited Bruce over for a beer. He was a skinny, awkward dude in those days. He was sitting 10 feet away from us and I have forever regretted that I didn't ask him if he would pose for a a picture with me. Of course, I didn't have a camera and cellphones were not yet invented.

Great, great show.
    I also prefer small venues. Tops of the tiny venue concerts for me was probably Alejandro Escoveda in the late 90s with a few dozen people at a house concert in Chapel Hill.

In approximate order: The Tams, Temptations, Lettermen, Dionne Warwick, Supremes, The Monkees (their lead in band was Jimi Hindrix), Grand Funk, Dr Hook and the Medicine Show, Beach Boys, Bob Seager, Jimmy Buffet (a bunch), Willie Nelson.

I may have forgotten a few due to a chemical unbalance at the time.

The worst by far was The Beach Boys. Their harmony wasn’t working that day. Followed closely by Dionne Warwick who showed up late and copped an attitude about playing in the podunk town of Boone, NC, (Happy Appy), couldn’t understand why the audience took offense and walked out after getting booed.

One of my favorites was seeing U2 in Birmingham on their first tour of the UK in 1980 or something. Cedar club was the venue and there was a bus strike that day but I was one of the few of my friends who had a car. It was a Mini. A real Mini. Saw them play with about 30 other people...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!