Page 8 of 149 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    All right, I’ll tell you. Not even close. Without Zion, that roster is the worst team in the NBA. By a lot. It remains to be seen how many games Zion is worth to an NBA roster, but I seriously doubt adding him to the league’s worst team would instantly turn that team into a contender.

Now, add Tatum and Ingram and Winslow and Tyus Jones, with Frank Jackson, Kennard, Allen, and Okafor as bench pieces, and maybe you’re on to something.
    I think the difference may be in terminology ("compete" versus "contender"). I don't think that the team DBA mentioned (which did include Zion) would be a contender. But I do think it could compete. Semantics really.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    How do you think the Duke rookie and sophomore teams would do against Atlanta?

PG: Trae Young
    SG: Kevin Heurter
    SF: De'Andre Hunter
    PF: John Collins
    C: Damion Jones

PG: Tre Jones
    SG: Cam Reddish
    SF: RJ Barrett
    PF: Zion Williamson
    C: Wendell Carter, Jr.

I don't know, I think the Duke team would win its fair share of games there. Wendell Carter, Jr. is clearly the superior player at C. I would take RJ over Hunter at SF. The Zion vs. Collins matchup would be interesting but I think Zion takes that fairly easily. It's a wash between Reddish and Huerter. Young is clearly the superior scorer but Tre the superior defender. It's not that far apart.
    I love your passion, David, but you are barking up the wrong tree here.

PG - Tre Jones has never played a second of NBA basketball and doesn't exactly seem like a lock to be a rotation player at this point... and you are comparing him to a likely All-Star in Trae Young. Huge advantage Hawks.

SG - Huerter is the starter ahead of Cam on the Hawks, so that tells you all you need to know about which team has an advantage here. Huerter is a far superior shooter though Cam's long arms make him a slightly better defender. Still, advantage Hawks.

SF- Hunter and RJ don't have radically different offensive stats thus far and Hunter is a far superior defender. I could argue Hunter is the more complete player because of the D, but I will let it go and we can call this a push.

PF - We are yet to see anything of what Zion will be in the NBA, other than some brief preseason action. He certainly looks like he could be a stud, but Collins is a really nice piece who was a 20 and 10 guy last year (not many of those in the NBA these days). He's a likely a future All-Star. Until we know more about what Zion will be against NBA competition, I'm tempted to call this a push but to be nice I will make it a small advantage for Duke.

C - Wendell is waaaay better than what the Hawks have in the middle. No doubt about that. He doesn't appear to be a future all-star, but is clearly a solid NBA player. Strong advantage Duke (though nowhere close to the advantage the Hawks have at PG).

Of course, your comparison did not touch on the bench, where the Hawks are absolutely crushing Duke in a major way. I mean, when the Hawks give a guy a rest, they bring in someone who is almost as good. When Duke goes to Duval or Trent they are going to guys who are basically somewhere between G-league and the end of a NBA bench.

The Dukie team you proposed (Marvin Bagley III, RJ Barrett, Wendell Carter, Jr., Trevon Duval, Cam Reddish, Gary Trent, Jr., Zion Williamson, Tre Jones and others) would have the worst backcourt and worst outside shooting of any team in the NBA by a really wide margin. Shooting matters.

-Jason "go back a couple years to add Tatum, Frank, Grayson, and Kennard to Marvin, Wendell, RJ, Cam, and Zion and you've probably got a playoff team though... need a PG probably" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I hope we get to see Chandler and Joey [Baker] on the team together. Then we just need a Ross and we’d be all set!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I love your passion, David, but you are barking up the wrong tree here.

PG - Tre Jones has never played a second of NBA basketball and doesn't exactly seem like a lock to be a rotation player at this point... and you are comparing him to a likely All-Star in Trae Young. Huge advantage Hawks.

SG - Huerter is the starter ahead of Cam on the Hawks, so that tells you all you need to know about which team has an advantage here. Huerter is a far superior shooter though Cam's long arms make him a slightly better defender. Still, advantage Hawks.

SF- Hunter and RJ don't have radically different offensive stats thus far and Hunter is a far superior defender. I could argue Hunter is the more complete player because of the D, but I will let it go and we can call this a push.

PF - We are yet to see anything of what Zion will be in the NBA, other than some brief preseason action. He certainly looks like he could be a stud, but Collins is a really nice piece who was a 20 and 10 guy last year (not many of those in the NBA these days). He's a likely a future All-Star. Until we know more about what Zion will be against NBA competition, I'm tempted to call this a push but to be nice I will make it a small advantage for Duke.

C - Wendell is waaaay better than what the Hawks have in the middle. No doubt about that. He doesn't appear to be a future all-star, but is clearly a solid NBA player. Strong advantage Duke (though nowhere close to the advantage the Hawks have at PG).

Of course, your comparison did not touch on the bench, where the Hawks are absolutely crushing Duke in a major way. I mean, when the Hawks give a guy a rest, they bring in someone who is almost as good. When Duke goes to Duval or Trent they are going to guys who are basically somewhere between G-league and the end of a NBA bench.

The Dukie team you proposed (Marvin Bagley III, RJ Barrett, Wendell Carter, Jr., Trevon Duval, Cam Reddish, Gary Trent, Jr., Zion Williamson, Tre Jones and others) would have the worst backcourt and worst outside shooting of any team in the NBA by a really wide margin. Shooting matters.

-Jason "go back a couple years to add Tatum, Frank, Grayson, and Kennard to Marvin, Wendell, RJ, Cam, and Zion and you've probably got a playoff team though... need a PG probably" Evans
    Look, it's been a long, painful week without Duke basketball and we have 6 more days before another long, painful dy spell. I'm glad that we get to discuss these things.

AJ Griffin Article

Re: front page article re: AJ Griffin - unless you all know about a re-class that I have not seen reported, AJ Griffin will not be arriving in the Triangle in the Fall. RJ Davis is a high school senior, but AJ Griffin is a high school junior.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Re: front page article re: AJ Griffin - unless you all know about a re-class that I have not seen reported, AJ Griffin will not be arriving in the Triangle in the Fall. RJ Davis is a high school senior, but AJ Griffin is a high school junior.
    AJ is really young for his class (still 16). I cannot fathom he would be a reclass candidate.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

No Real Recruiting News, but ----

Went to today's "Slam Dunk to the Beach" (Lewes DE) to see Duke commits Roach and Griffin, in action, and on opposing teams, Paul VI and Archbishop Stepinac. In the same game also saw Trevor Keels (2021 ESPN #35, has Duke offer) of Paul VI, and RJ Davis of A.S. a 2020 UNC commit.
    Thought all played well though not outstanding; except for Keels all were so-so on free throws. Roach and Davis are both good drivers, Davis perhaps a bit quicker, Roach a bit bigger. Keels has a 3 pt reputation but was only 1-4. I don't recall Roach attempting to score frequently in the first half, or taking any 3s, except with less than 20 seconds to go in the game when he hit two 3s in a row off the dribble cleanly. Davis was 0-3 on 3s. Griffin clearly has a body ready for the ACC and beyond. He also has a feathery touch on his shots; don't recall any 3 attempts by him, but the box score shows 0-1.
    High scorer was Davis with 21 on 7-19 and 7 of 10 FT. Next was Keels with 19 on 8-19 and 2-2 FT. Griffin had 18 with 7-13 and 4-8 FT. Roach ended with 17 on 6-14, including 3-6 FT and 2 of 7 on 3 pt attempts. Roach moved well and I didn't see any effects of his recent injury.
    Also in attendance were Ol' Roy and Hubert, apparently only for that game out of the six that were scheduled on Sunday. They may have come to scout generally, but their clear interest was Davis, with whom they met following the game. Roy was a center of attention for many of the fans, and he posed for pictures with dozens of them, including the security officers. Didn't see any Duke staff in attendance.

I am watching AJ Griffin’s game tonight and he just went down injured and had to be carried off the court. I hope he’s ok. His teammate, UNC-bound RJ Davis, is quick as a blur.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I am watching AJ Griffin’s game tonight and he just went down injured and had to be carried off the court. I hope he’s ok. His teammate, UNC-bound RJ Davis, is quick as a blur.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...n-injured-knee

Yikes. The words “gruesome injury” are not what anyone wanted to hear. But then also says the morning after they consider him day to day. So who knows. Sounds like they’ll be evaluating him medically Monday or Tuesday. Best wishes to the young man.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Uh-oh!!

AJ Griffin suffered a knee injury Friday night in a game. It has alternately been described as “gruesome” and “day-to-day” which tells us little. Please let it not be serious! This is a really special kid and it would be a terrible crime for some of his athleticism to be robbed by an injury.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...DukeBlueDevils

I had "inside Basketball with Coach K" on. After it went off, a show called Sports Stars of Tomorrow came on. They are profiling Sheriff Cooper. I checked the program description to see if anyone else of interest would be on and it lists "feature on DJ Steward", for anyone else getting this program.

I realize now i posted in the wrong thread (2021 vs 2020). FWIW, it was a very short profile. Nice young man, well-spoken, from excellent school (academics.and sports, grads include Jahlil and Michelle Obama).

Sorry if this great news was already reported. I haven't seen it anywhere. But yeah, phew. Some thought it was going to be a much worse injury at first.

Varsity InsiderVerified account @lohudinsider 18h18 hours agoMore
    Stepinac junior Adrian Griffin Jr. has been diagnosed with a sprained left knee and is expected to miss 2-3 weeks. He suffered a dislocated knee Friday vs. Iona Prep, but exams found no ligament or bone damage.Very good news for the @dukebasketball commit all things considered.

Here's the news article:
    https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/h...in/2838535001/

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Sorry if this great news was already reported. I haven't seen it anywhere. But yeah, phew. Some thought it was going to be a much worse injury at first.

Varsity InsiderVerified account @lohudinsider 18h18 hours agoMore
    Stepinac junior Adrian Griffin Jr. has been diagnosed with a sprained left knee and is expected to miss 2-3 weeks. He suffered a dislocated knee Friday vs. Iona Prep, but exams found no ligament or bone damage.Very good news for the @dukebasketball commit all things considered.

Here's the news article:
    https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/h...in/2838535001/

Wow, that is good news. Sounds like a Mahomes type injury.

Sounds similar to Mahomes which is exactly what I “hoped” for when I heard gruesome injury but then it was described as less serious and maybe more of a day-to-day thing. Under the circumstances it sounds like very good news.

Edit: gam7 beat me to it.

Griffin is going to be a stud. He is already a top 10 player in the class but he is physically mature now at 6-7 200 and he can score in many ways. His ability to defend is underrated.

The kid is going to be very good at Duke.

If this class pans out with Griffin, Balwin, Banchero, Chandler, Christie &/or Keels and Bediako...

Really glad for the news about AJ. Maybe on of the docs can answer this question for me but I did not think it was possible to dislocate a knee without tearing ligaments. I was wondering if they meant kneecap.

Is Duke interested in Chet Holmgren ? He's a 7ft center out of Minnesota. Rivals has him ranked in the top 5 of this recruiting cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Is Duke interested in Chet Holmgren ? He's a 7ft center out of Minnesota. Rivals has him ranked in the top 5 of this recruiting cycle.
    Curious about this myself

I read somewhere that he wants to hear from us. Don't know if he has.