Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

UNC Athletic Scandal: New Wainstein Document Details

UNC has released a crap ton of files from the Wainstein inquiry

Folks over at PP have a busy week ahead of them. Hopefully this means something is happening soon and they are trying to inundate us with data as a distraction.

The following records come from a database of nearly 1.7 million unique electronic records compiled by Kenneth Wainstein’s firm, Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP, as part of the report released on Oct. 22, 2014. The database contained about 5 million total pages of documents.

Before public release, the University is legally mandated to review every page to protect privacy rights and, if necessary, to redact or withhold confidential information.

Future batches of Wainstein records will be posted regularly on this same webpage as they become available. The University continues to review and prepare additional records for public release. That process is being done with great care and takes time.

Note that these are large files, which may extend download times.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    UNC has released a crap ton of files from the Wainstein inquiry

Folks over at PP have a busy week ahead of them. Hopefully this means something is happening soon and they are trying to inundate us with data as a distraction.

The following records come from a database of nearly 1.7 million unique electronic records compiled by Kenneth Wainstein’s firm, Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP, as part of the report released on Oct. 22, 2014. The database contained about 5 million total pages of documents.

Before public release, the University is legally mandated to review every page to protect privacy rights and, if necessary, to redact or withhold confidential information.

Future batches of Wainstein records will be posted regularly on this same webpage as they become available. The University continues to review and prepare additional records for public release. That process is being done with great care and takes time.

Note that these are large files, which may extend download times.
    That's one helluva way to celebrate the one year anniversary...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    That's one helluva way to celebrate the one year anniversary...
    IIRC, the appropriate gift for the first anniversary is paper...

Going through all this stuff needs to be crowdsourced. Someone needs to set up a database or something where volunteers from the DBR, Pack Pride, and elsewhere can register which documents they have reviewed so we can collectively examine all of it.

When folks see a document that seems to have some juicy info, it should be noted so a more thorough examination can be given to it (such as folks who will study font sizes to try to figure out which player's name was redacted).

-Jason "I bet Wake, Maryland, Kentucky, South Carolina, Virginia, and many other fan bases would be happy to help out with the examination of the documents too -- each doc should have multiple eyes see it to ensure thorough vetting" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I just checked PackPride to see if any of the sleuths over there are digging into the data dump. They claim that the total amount dumped is over 20 GB of information.

One poster -- CptHindsight -- claims to have reviewed the first 1177 PDF pages from file 5a (why he decided to start with this one, I don't know). The most interesting stuff he found:

edit1: Some guy named "Sean" (redaction failure) taking a lot of Drama and AFAM classes. Also a lot of mentions about Exercise Science, but it is unclear if this Sean guy is taking any.

edit2: Does UNC needs to redact the info of recruits who did not eventually choose UNC? They are listing the phone number, GPA, SAT scores, address of several recruits. One of these recruits might eventually make it to the NFL.

edit3: Stopped at page 1177 of 5a for tonight. This document is mind numbing. Will read this tomorrow. So far this doc is a bunch of tutor feedback reports and emails, then filled with pages of pregnancy/fertility study ads.

I would say that listing confidential information about recruits that chose other schools is very much the Carolina Way -- remember Dean and his comments about Ferry and Laettner's SAT scores?

It's going to be a tough sleuth job. They have attempted to redact everything in there they think is incriminating. They must have spent a ton of time and money on this.
    Page 2411/28592 of file PDF1A is shown below. It concerns observation of various coaches, included a couple named Williams and Davis having been seen coming around to check on the players academic activities. They have redacted the date of the email so you can't tell when Roy was apparently interested in academics.
    Screen Shot 1280.jpg

Don't know why it won't load bigger so you can see it.
    Last edited by BigWayne; 10-22-2015 at 03:41 AM.

Few last comments for today as it's getting late....

PDF1A is mostly a bunch of emails of various people we have heard about. In the ~2400 page area are a lot of Beth Bridger emails.
    The real emails where people are actually talking to each other about something that matters are interrupted by various emails sent to or from the concerned individuals that have unimportant (to us) attachments like agendas or powerpoints for conferences or training sessions.

Down at page 23120, emails from Jan Boxill start showing up. Looks like it's mostly Boxill related stuff from there to the end of this first file. There is a lot of back and forth between Boxill and Stroman, especially some catty discussions about Jay Smith. How Stroman has avoided being implicated up to this point is hard to fathom. Her fingerprints seem to be all over this stuff.

They have redacted the date of the email so you can't tell when Roy was apparently interested in academics.

How is the date of that email related to privacy rights or confidential information ... unless any evidence itself is deemed confidential? Why should UNC get to decide what is redacted? [I'm sure there's a legal reason but really, fox and henhouse and all that, right?]

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    How is the date of that email related to privacy rights or confidential information ... unless any evidence itself is deemed confidential? Why should UNC get to decide what is redacted? [I'm sure there's a legal reason but really, fox and henhouse and all that, right?]
    It is probably more prejudicial than confidential.

If the date were revealed, unc would be in deep doo-doo (a legal term).

Please be 2005 . . . .please be 2005 . . . .

Having said that, I cannot read the email. Does it say anything more than Coach Williams (is Roy the only one?) came by to check on academic progress of his kids? May have wait for BigWayne to wake up, he was sleuthing into the wee hours it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I suspect the truth is prejudicial to UNC's case.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

If the date were revealed, unc would be in deep doo-doo (a legal term).
    Next you will go all Latin on us!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Next you will go all Latin on us!
    Altus excrementum.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Does UNC needs to redact the info of recruits who did not eventually choose UNC? They are listing the phone number, GPA, SAT scores, address of several recruits. One of these recruits might eventually make it to the NFL.

I would say that listing confidential information about recruits that chose other schools is very much the Carolina Way -- remember Dean and his comments about Ferry and Laettner's SAT scores?
    This is how FERPA interacts with state Public Records Laws: FERPA protects the privacy rights of students who matriculate at your school, not that of applicants who never matriculate. And Public Records Laws say a public university must turn over requested documents unless those documents are exempted (e.g. by FERPA's privacy prohibitions). So if Serge Zwicker applied to UNC and enrolled, all of his records are protected by FERPA. But if Laettner applied to UNC and never enrolled there, his application materials are a public record unprotected by FERPA.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    That's how public records laws work: It's up to the institution to turn over requested material and redact as appropriate, and it's mostly the honor system. So, yeah, fox and henhouse. But every public records law I've seen (and I'm not familiar with NC's specifically) has a process to challenge omissions/redactions, which are then resolved by an outside party, like an administrative law judge or the Attorney General's office, whose decisions are subject to judicial review. I'm guessing -- but do not know -- that North Carolina's public records law has such a process.

A date could be subject to redaction under FERPA if, for whatever reason, disclosing a date in context would allow a person to discern the identity of a student. So consider, for example, this statement: "On May 1, 2005, Coach Jones met with student-athlete Jim Smith to discuss his recent foot injury and failure to complete assignments in his two AFAM classes." Well, if you just take out the student's name, a person could suss out Jim Smith's identity because the date and "recent foot injury" tells you who it is. But if someone thinks the fox made the wrong call about the henhouse, he or she could challenge the redaction and force UNC-CH to justify it.

You sometimes just have to shake your head and laugh. 1A starts with presentation slides from a 2007 conference on underprepared student-athletes. It then transitions to NCSU academic support program manual, record, educational support plans from 2004-8. One of those documents is a plan from the Fall of 2004 for a swimmer with a CUM GPA of 1.94.

Nice trolling UNC.

I truly appreciate those who will read this material and will pull out the tidbits for the rest of us.

For others like me, here's something more easily digestible. And entertaining.

Money quote from Sylvia Hatchell: "this will be our finest hour". Not only channeling Winston Churchill, but comparing UNC to Apollo 13.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...e40800936.html

Just...priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Please be 2005 . . . .please be 2005 . . . .

Having said that, I cannot read the email. Does it say anything more than Coach Williams (is Roy the only one?) came by to check on academic progress of his kids? May have wait for BigWayne to wake up, he was sleuthing into the wee hours it seems.
    Actually, that email is almost certainly from Sunday Sep 12th 2010. It is in the middle of a bunch of emails pulled from Beth Bridger's inbox. They are displayed in the file chronologically. The one on page 2410 is from Sunday Sep 12th 2010 at 8:32PM. The one on 2411 is from Sunday at 8:38PM.

The dates are redacted off of a lot of the emails, many of which it makes no sense why they needed to do so. I was hoping this was a way to flag the ones to look at, but I am not so sure now.

On the content, it lists coach Davis, Kaufmann, Williams, Mo, Shoop, and Pittman. States that they "were all (academic) business."

screen1290.jpg

Daily Tarheel has a number of things today.

Main article

Interactive graphic that details involvement of a bunch of different actors at UNC
    Check out Eunice Sahle on the academic side:

Current position: Chairperson of the African, African-American and Diaspora Studies department
    What Wainstein said about her: Sahle’s knowledge of the classes was less than that of fellow professors Tim McMillan and Alphonse Mutima, but she still was aware of them. She allowed Crowder to sign up several students in her lectures to mask the true nature of the class. "According to Crowder, Professor Sahle was aware that she was adding paper class students and 'agreed that a few students could get away with not showing up and doing a paper at the end [of the semester].'Crowder’s recollection is corroborated by an email in which she tells Wayne Walden that one of his players can take a Sahle lecture class without having to attend,” the report said.

Actually, that email is almost certainly from Sunday Sep 12th 2010. It is in the middle of a bunch of emails pulled from Beth Bridger's inbox. They are displayed in the file chronologically. The one on page 2410 is from Sunday Sep 12th 2010 at 8:32PM. The one on 2411 is from Sunday at 8:38PM.

The dates are redacted off of a lot of the emails, many of which it makes no sense why they needed to do so. I was hoping this was a way to flag the ones to look at, but I am not so sure now.

On the content, it lists coach Davis, Kaufmann, Williams, Mo, Shoop, and Pittman. States that they "were all (academic) business."

screen1290.jpg
    I'm pretty sure anything incriminating ends up getting it's date removed. Bridger was a one women eligibility machine. In any case, page 1692 from presumably July 9th 2010 has someone registering presumably a football player for classes. That's the most overt one, but it seems it was pretty standard practice to forward filled out Get Ready to Register forms to Andrea Caldwell or others in the Academic Advising Program to register athletes for classes which is one of the "extra benefits".

Williams is actually probably Charlie Williams a WR coach as opposed to Roy. Bridger dealt solely with football.

Daily Tarheel has a number of things today.

Main article

Interactive graphic that details involvement of a bunch of different actors at UNC
    Check out Eunice Sahle on the academic side:

Current position: Chairperson of the African, African-American and Diaspora Studies department
    What Wainstein said about her: Sahle’s knowledge of the classes was less than that of fellow professors Tim McMillan and Alphonse Mutima, but she still was aware of them. She allowed Crowder to sign up several students in her lectures to mask the true nature of the class. "According to Crowder, Professor Sahle was aware that she was adding paper class students and 'agreed that a few students could get away with not showing up and doing a paper at the end [of the semester].'Crowder’s recollection is corroborated by an email in which she tells Wayne Walden that one of his players can take a Sahle lecture class without having to attend,” the report said.
    The referenced main article shows a user comment at the bottom:

Listen, just about every school in America cheats. We just happened to get caught. The NCAA ain't gonna do nothing. Roy already guaranteed that. As long as we keep winning titles I don't care what they do behind closed doors. ...
    There are no doubt quite a few UNC fans who believe this exact thing. Their world is about to shatter right in front of their eyes. I can't even imagine the magnitude of the bellowing outrage that is going to be heard after the COI announces its decision.