Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I had thought it was the best since 92...too early to tell if it will end up better in that regard. I will say this team is more "edge of your seat" while in transition...
    No doubt, a Zion 360 dunk takes impressive to a much higher level.

IMO, the only fair way to make the '92 comparison is to adjust back to '92 athletic levels. You were here before K and fully experienced the transition. I suspect a young person could watch a '92 tape and not fully appreciate how special they were at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    On one f.b. vs Wake, Tre was out in front in the middle vs 2 defenders, then crossed over to go to the outside of the lane bringing both defenders towards him just a little, which opened space for Zion who was coming down the other side. Tre then threw a lob for an allez-oups dunk to Zion. That was a beautifully run f.b.!!!
    Had Tre tried to take it down the middle vs. the 2 defenders, i doubt very much good would have happened...
    I agree, Tre is awesome. If Tre stayed 4 years, I would probably have a very hard time picking my favorite Duke PG. The same could be said of Kyrie. The OAD age has made my Hurley vote permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Worse still, such teams are biased towards individual offensive achievement (and stats). If the voters gave proper credit to defense and rebounding, future Jack would have a better shot.
    There is a relatively new panel to pick All-ACC, instead of just the media members:

Bagley, who shares the ACC lead in scoring and leads the league in rebounding heading into the postseason, was the choice for ACC Player of the Year by 37 members of the 57-member voting panel (15 ACC head coaches, 42 selected media) that cast ballots for this year’s postseason honors. Boston College junior Jerome Robinson placed second with 14 votes.
    Formerly the selections were made by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association. As the league expanded to include teams in PA, NY, MA, and KY, there were weird results, presumably from voters who did not really know the teams or the players. At one time, in an eight or nine-team conference, the ACSMA members were quite knowledgeable, even if weighted a little too heavily toward the state of NC. The change was not without controversy. IIRC, Al Featherston, for one, was incensed with the usurpation by the ACC.

Jim Sumner can fill in the details or (most probably) correct the record.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    No doubt, a Zion 360 dunk takes impressive to a much higher level.

IMO, the only fair way to make the '92 comparison is to adjust back to '92 athletic levels. You were here before K and fully experienced the transition. I suspect a young person could watch a '92 tape and not fully appreciate how special they were at the time.
    '92 was as athletic as this team, imo. I mean, if there's an edge in athleticism for this team, it's very small. This team is in many ways a throwback to those days with the scary transition offense, turnover-producing defense, surfeit of athletic wings, great pressure on the ball, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    '92 was as athletic as this team, imo. I mean, if there's an edge in athleticism for this team, it's very small.
    I was mostly referencing physical strength. Nobody on the '92 team could handle Zion. I suspect Hurley would have been the only one crazy enough to fight Zion.

I was mostly referencing physical strength. Nobody on the '92 team could handle Zion. I suspect Hurley would have been the only one crazy enough to fight Zion.
    Maybe not fight, but Christian was quite the bada** and took on Shaq in 1991 and 1992.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Maybe not fight, but Christian was quite the bada** and took on Shaq in 1991 and 1992.
    A bunch of morons screaming he was gay certainly increased his motivation.

The other factor IMHO (where the H is missing after getting kicked out of the weight room) is that the pre-college development of elite hoopsters is far more rigorous, organized and intense than it was for the Laettner-Hurley-Hill teams. Parents, coaches, even USA Basketball all have awakened to the importance of year-around training and basketball. (And, of course, my era of the 1960's is light years away -- did you ever take a close look as those skinny-minnies, a number of whom had good runs in the NBA?)
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Without giving away the Devil's Den subscription info, you can see on their front page that Duke is currently targeting someone at the QB position, and it's not Hurts. For those who care, TDD has a lively football forum with some good subscriber info.
    This is something to keep an eye on, and cross one's fingers about.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    (And, of course, my era of the 1960's is light years away -- did you ever take a close look as those skinny-minnies, a number of whom had good runs in the NBA?)
    Yep, one of Duke's best 60's bigs lived next door (many years later) and he wasn't that big.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Without giving away the Devil's Den subscription info, you can see on their front page that Duke is currently targeting someone at the QB position, and it's not Hurts. For those who care, TDD has a lively football forum with some good subscriber info.
    This is something to keep an eye on, and cross one's fingers about.
    Wrong thread?

There was this perception that Laettner liked this and fed off of it. In a more candid moment - I think in the "I Hate Christian Laettner" ESPN 30 for 30 - he said he learned to deal with it but did not like it. His mom and sisters really hated it, and that also impacted him. That said, I think he likely did turn it into positive anger at times. I believe there was a Georgia Tech game about that time with the same references.

I remember my cousin teasing me, saying it's "waiters' night in Atlanta" in honor of Laettner...using the stereotype...

Indeed. And, Jason Williams' Gone in 54 Seconds after the "overrated" chant was another motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    There was this perception that Laettner liked this and fed off of it. In a more candid moment - I think in the "I Hate Christian Laettner" ESPN 30 for 30 - he said he learned to deal with it but did not like it. His mom and sisters really hated it, and that also impacted him. That said, I think he likely did turn it into positive anger at times. I believe there was a Georgia Tech game about that time with the same references.

I remember my cousin teasing me, saying it's "waiters' night in Atlanta" in honor of Laettner...using the stereotype...
    IIRC, he played this up even more by walking around campus holding hands with Brian Davis (source: A Season Is A Lifetime; I think; I'm not reading that whole book again to verify).

Indeed. And, Jason Williams' Gone in 54 Seconds after the "overrated" chant was another motivator.
    Yep, and some still wonder why K doesn't want us chanting "overrated".

Kids, read your history books.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Wrong thread?
    Budwom likely is still traumatized by that 7-56 score from Thanksgiving weekend. You'll have to forgive him.

Budwom likely is still traumatized by that 7-56 score from Thanksgiving weekend. You'll have to forgive him.
    Was that the '67 game?

Was that the '67 game?
    No, it was the 2018 game and does it really matter if it was 7-56 or 7-59? Really?

IIRC, he played this up even more by walking around campus holding hands with Brian Davis (source: A Season Is A Lifetime; I think; I'm not reading that whole book again to verify).
    Laettner and Davis did walk around campus holding hands on occasion. Source - personal observation as I was a student at Duke at the time. Most of us hippie-dippie liberal students supported Laettner's taunting of opposing fan-base homophobia.

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    Laettner and Davis did walk around campus holding hands on occasion. Source - personal observation as I was a student at Duke at the time. Most of us hippie-dippie liberal students supported Laettner's taunting of opposing fan-base homophobia.
    Even better to have a supportive witness in addition to my sometimes cloudy memory. Thanks.