Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, if an offer of $70 million to coach a college team in the state where he was born and raised was not enough to get Brad Stevens to leave the Celtics ☘️ then Duke has no shot.
    Look, I've never said that Stevens is a possibility for Duke, but there are things other than money in play here. Indiana ain't the job that Duke is. It is a far, far less prestigious and important gig. It is harder to recruit at Indiana too. Just because someone turned down big money for Indiana, it does not mean they would turn down a similar offer from Duke.

And, again, I am not saying Stevens would be interested in Duke.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Look, I've never said that Stevens is a possibility for Duke, but there are things other than money in play here. Indiana ain't the job that Duke is. It is a far, far less prestigious and important gig. It is harder to recruit at Indiana too. Just because someone turned down big money for Indiana, it does not mean they would turn down a similar offer from Duke.

And, again, I am not saying Stevens would be interested in Duke.
    Knowing Duke's history with coaches, I'll be beyond surprised if they offer a new coach anything even remotely close to K's contract, which I think is around $7M per year. IU was offering $10M.

Not a snowball's chance that Duke would come up something similar to a new guy. I doubt that Duke will even pay out 1/2 of what K's making. Hopefully whoever it is works out and earns his raises, but they'll likely be starting at below $3M.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Knowing Duke's history with coaches, I'll be beyond surprised if they offer a new coach anything even remotely close to K's contract, which I think is around $7M per year. IU was offering $10M.

Not a snowball's chance that Duke would come up something similar to a new guy. I doubt that Duke will even pay out 1/2 of what K's making. Hopefully whoever it is works out and earns his raises, but they'll likely be starting at below $3M.
    Given the high profile and importance of the basketball team to the overall university -- and given the amount of alumni support for hoops -- I am quite confident that dollars will not stand in the way of Duke getting who they want when the time comes to replace K. If Duke decides Stevens would be best and it will cost $10-mil per season to get him, Duke won't have trouble getting that kind of money.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If Duke decides Stevens would be best and it will cost $10-mil per season to get him, Duke won't have trouble getting that kind of money.
    If Duke isn't paying the Greatest Coach in the History of Basketball over $8M, then they sure as hell aren't going to pay Stevens 10.

"Getting that kind of money" isn't an issue for Duke, it's spending it. And to spend those kinds of dollars, when nobody else in the ACC is even making over $5M would be insanity.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well if we paid a new coach $3M, that would put him maybe/kinda/sorta around 25th or so on the list of highest paid college coaches. A job as high profile as Duke, with all the pressure (yes, I know, plenty of advantages too) is going to justify being higher than 25th on the list, and will probably require something higher than 25th to lure the quality of coach we're going to want.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Well if we paid a new coach $3M, that would put him maybe/kinda/sorta around 25th or so on the list of highest paid college coaches. A job as high profile as Duke, with all the pressure (yes, I know, plenty of advantages too) is going to justify being higher than 25th on the list, and will probably require something higher than 25th to lure the quality of coach we're going to want.
    I'll bet pie that Duke's next HC does not get a contract that pays more than $4M base. (Excluding Stevens...they might give him 6-7, but he ain't coming so I'm not worried about losing the bet to him.)

If Duke isn't paying the Greatest Coach in the History of Basketball over $8M, then they sure as hell aren't going to pay Stevens 10.

"Getting that kind of money" isn't an issue for Duke, it's spending it. And to spend those kinds of dollars, when nobody else in the ACC is even making over $5M would be insanity.
    The thing is if a college is going to have any chance at stealing the head coach of the Boston Celtics — who has gotten a so-so, ever-changing roster to three of the past four conference championships — you’re going to have to pay huge money to do it. And who’s to say he wouldn’t be worth it?

Coach K can earn up to $10 million annually from Duke if he reaches contract incentives. So maybe he is the greatest basketball coach of all time. I’m not debating that. But the fact is he’s 74 years old. Brad Stevens is 44 and in his prime. It would stand to reason that a significant portion of the value of Coach K’s contract is for past performance.

For example, if Coach K were to resign from Duke today and make himself available for a head-coaching job elsewhere do you really think he would be hired for huge money at this point in his career? What is the track record of success for power five conference basketball coaches his age?

The only one who comes to mind is Jim Boeheim and he is largely being paid for past success and a long tenure at Syracuse. If Boeheim were to resign from Syracuse and try to get hired for another power five head-coaching job no AD is going to give him anything approaching the seven-year $70 million contract that Indiana offered Stevens.

All I’m trying to say is that if Coach K is earning up to $10 million per season right now how much would a highly-regarded, in his prime, 44-year-old coach who currently holds one of the premier jobs in all of basketball be worth?
    Last edited by Steven43; 04-19-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Twitter video posted this morning. I could not find a version on YouTube from the same person to embed here.

Jordan Sperber @hoopvision68

There is a right way of doing things in college basketball...

[video montage of recently hired coaches saying "the right way" in their press conferences]

9:01 AM · Apr 19, 2021

Admittedly, this is my least favorite sports cliché. Nate James is at the 18-second mark (right after Hubert Davis, sorry). My favorite is Wes Miller at 0:40 asking it as a question. It's like he's thinking, "The right way? What's that? I just know the Carolina way."

In a move nobody could have predicted, CSNU has put Mark Gottfried on leave pending an investigation...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ed-staff-leave

Quote Originally Posted by beach rev View Post
    In a move nobody could have predicted, CSNU has put Mark Gottfried on leave pending an investigation...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ed-staff-leave
    I didn't know Crosby, Stills, Nash & Ustinov were still playing.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I didn't know Crosby, Stills, Nash & Ustinov were still playing.
    It’s getting to the point where they’re no fun anymore.

Evidently, parents of the players at CSNU said Gottfried didn’t teach their children well.

Too many people have (cheated) in the name of Gott for anyone to heed the call

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    Too many people have (cheated) in the name of Gott for anyone to heed the call
    Reminds me of the baseball battles between Jim Gott and Tim Teufel in the '80s.

What are the chances Chris Collins gets let go at Northwestern after this season?

He has struggled mightily there:

He is 118-134 overall and 49-100 in the B1G entering his 9th season as head men’s basketball coach.

Northwestern has never finished higher than T-5th in any of the seasons he’s been the coach (they’ve done that once) and they have finished T-10th or worse in 6 of the 8 seasons. He’s made the NCAAT once where Northwestern went 1-1.

What does he have to do this season to be brought back for a 10th season?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    What are the chances Chris Collins gets let go at Northwestern after this season?

He is 118-134 overall and 49-100 in the B1G entering his 9th season as head men’s basketball coach.

Northwestern has never finished higher than T-5th in any of the seasons he’s been the coach (they’ve done that once) and they have finished T-10th or worse in 6 of the 8 seasons. He’s made the NCAAT once where Northwestern went 1-1.

Honestly surprised he’s lasted this long. Schools these days are typically less patient than Northwestern has been. I’m glad Chris still has the job, but I suspect he won’t survive beyond this season without a strong showing.

Anyone know how his recruiting has been going? I mostly follow Duke and UNC recruiting. The others, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Honestly surprised he’s lasted this long. Schools these days are typically less patient than Northwestern has been. I’m glad Chris still has the job, but I suspect he won’t survive beyond this season without a strong showing.

Anyone know how his recruiting has been going? I mostly follow Duke and UNC recruiting. The others, not so much.
    While the on the court performance has led a lot to be desired, Collins has done a really solid job fundraising and getting rich alumni to donate. Of course, that could be the AD but there have been a few donors that have specifically called it out. One fully endowed the coaching position, the basketball stadium has gone through a ridiculously expensive remodel, other new athletic facilities, etc. Don't know if that makes up for things and it can only take you so far, but does seem like Chris had engendered confidence from the AD and a select few alumni to get additional funds put towards the basketball program.

As far as recruiting, they do have 3 three star recruits coming in which is pretty good for them. Their roster is usually mostly two star with a decent dose of 3 stars and the rare 4 star. We shall see... Northwestern is getting a new AD so don't know if that resets the clock or how it will impact decision making on Collins' future.

Well

He is the only men's BB coach in Northwestern history to win a NCAA game. The expectations at Northwestern aren't very high. But yeah, I think his job is in jeopardy without significant improvement.

There was a time I felt strongly that he would be the next coach at Duke. Chalk that up to the many times that I have been wrong.

No one has succeeded coaching basketball at Northwestern. I mean, Bill Foster won 63 percent of his games at Duke and 28 percent at Northwestern, the last stop on his peregrination through college coaching. Bill Carmody and Tex Winter left NW and coached at Holy Cross and Long Beach State, respectively. I suspect Collins will get every chance to succeed -- more than just one extra season.

Big Ten is tough.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013