Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vic Bubas Passes

The Raleigh N&O is reporting that Vic Bubas has passed away at 91.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...209040969.html
    Last edited by TKG; 04-16-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Vic Bubas passes at age 91:

The Blue Devils' coach from 1959-69, Bubas led Duke to four ACC tournament championships, including the school's first in 1960. He coached the Blue Devils to the NCAA tournament's Final Four in 1963, 1964 and 1966. He finished with a 213-67 record, a .761 winning percentage, at Duke.
    Rest in Peace, Coach Bubas.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Vic Bubas passes at age 91:

Rest in Peace, Coach Bubas.
    The real beginning of Duke excellence in basketball - that was recognized on a national scale...

Those were some great Duke teams in the 60's. RIP Coach.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Hard to believe he had Chuck Daley and Hubie Brown on his staff at the time. Wow.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Vic was one of the finest gentlemen that I ever had the pleasure to know. A truly good man. There is a special place in heaven for people like him and his wife, Tootie. Rest in peace old friend. I hope I meet with you again

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Hard to believe he had Chuck Daley and Hubie Brown on his staff at the time. Wow.
    Rest in peace, Coach. Condolences to daughter Vicki and the rest of the family.

As for the quote above, some day, far in the future I hope, we'll say something like "Hard to believe he had Chris Collins, Steve Wojo, Jeff Capel, Jon Scheyer and all the rest on his staff (tho not all at the same time).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Rest in peace, Coach. Condolences to daughter Vicki and the rest of the family.

As for the quote above, some day, far in the future I hope, we'll say something like "Hard to believe he had Chris Collins, Steve Wojo, Jeff Capel, Jon Scheyer and all the rest on his staff (tho not all at the same time).
    Bubas was only 32 when named the Duke coach by Eddie Cameron.

He told the story of playing in the first game ever at Reynolds Coliseum and crashing the boards in an attempt to score the first basket. I can't remember if he succeeded.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Recently I was asked if I was a Duke fan before Coach K..My response was..I was a fan when Vic Bubas was coach.

Fond memories of those childhood times..
    RIP Coach..

Bubas still holds the record for highest winning percentage in ACC tournament play at 22-6 (.786).

My first Duke basketball memory was attending the 1960 ACC tournament.
    What an introduction! RIP coach. Duke's expectations for success began with you.

I am honored I got to meet him after a reunion event in Cameron, what a kind gentleman to a stranger. And an autograph to boot. Huge fan from their NBA days of Mullins and Marin. RIP.

That 1966 team was the year I started following Duke basketball as an elementary school student. Bob Verga, #11, was my favorite Duke player for years. Thanks Coach Bubas.
    Tom Mac

I went to school with Vikki, I can't remember if it was at Duke Preschool or kindergarten, and I vaguely remember carpooling with the Bubas's. My first Duke basketball memory was watching them lose to UCLA in the 1964 NCAA final on a black and white TV.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Ain't it duh truth...one of the all time great coaching staffs anywhere at any level.

RIP Coach Bubas

I remember

I was fortunate to have experienced Vic’s last two years as Duke’s Head Coach. I didn’t really know him, but I experienced the magic of our big victory over Davidson and Lefty in Cameron, Indoor Stadium as it was called back then, only to be followed up in the last game of the year against UNC, back before they resorted to cheating, the famous triple overtime game with Freddy Lind being the storybook hero. I was hooked. i got to meet all three of Vic’s daughters.

I got to hear one of Vic’s pep talks which was recorded surreptitiously by one of the players during his last year. It may have been the home SC game. I remember being mesmerized by his speech and apparently so was the team since we played well and dispatched the hated Gamecocks.

I never heard a disparaging word about Vic Bubas. May he Rest In Peace.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    RIP Coach Bubas! It really is a shame that Bubas didn't remain as Duke's Head Coach until the torch was passed to one Coach K. Had that happened the history of Duke Basketball would be even greater than it is. Perhaps significantly better. Perhaps the dominance of Dean'sMyth in the 70's would not have been quite so dominant. Perhaps not even dominant at all. We were blessed to have had him for the brief time that we did.

A sad time for the program and university.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Bubas was only 32 when named the Duke coach by Eddie Cameron.

He told the story of playing in the first game ever at Reynolds Coliseum and crashing the boards in an attempt to score the first basket. I can't remember if he succeeded.
    He did.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by SF Dukie View Post
    I went to school with Vikki, I can't remember if it was at Duke Preschool or kindergarten, and I vaguely remember carpooling with the Bubas's. My first Duke basketball memory was watching them lose to UCLA in the 1964 NCAA final on a black and white TV.
    That was the first year I remember following & loving Duke basketball. I loved Jeff Mullins...As a small child I remember shedding a few tears over the 1964 Final to UCLA.