Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1469
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    This is a Jesse James style highway robbery for the NC State Wolfpack.
    It is too bad the Wolfpack handed Jesse the loaded gun.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Define responsibility. Legal? Probably not. Moral? Yes. If they think there is a high likely hood of their fans getting sick and getting seriously ill or dying as a result of attending an athletic contest then yes, they have a responsibility. If they don't think that is likely, then why do they think it is likely among baseball players in what is a very socially distant spot (aside from the folks at home plate). This is my point. I know, expecting consistency out of the NCAA is a bit like expecting UNC to stop cheating or State fans to quit blaming everyone else.
    Did you see the latest report that 8 players tested positive for the Delta variant? Does that change your mind?

This thread is one of the more absurd things I've witnessed on this board. If you go back and look at where it started and where it ended up, it's a real wormhole.

Perhaps we could make a separate thread for salty NCSU fans and we could go back to discussing Duke's inspiring late season run and what might be on the horizon for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This thread is one of the more absurd things I've witnessed on this board. If you go back and look at where it started and where it ended up, it's a real wormhole.

Perhaps we could make a separate thread for salty NCSU fans and we could go back to discussing Duke's inspiring late season run and what might be on the horizon for next year?
    good idea. Wasting time on State's self inflicted wound is a waste of time. SOOOO....who do we have coming in next year, and how likely is MLB to pilfer one or more of these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Did you see the latest report that 8 players tested positive for the Delta variant? Does that change your mind?
    I feel like you are getting at two different points, 1) what I think about the situation and 2) what I think about the NCAA's handling of the situation.

I don't think the US has been taking COVID-19 seriously. Not during the height of the pandemic and certainly not now. State could have avoided all of this (probably) by getting everyone vaccinated. They could have been helped by a country/state/university/culture that made it more acceptable to wear masks and make sensible choices during a pandemic. Whether or not the delta variant is able to break through vaccinations better then other strains is another issue of concern. Many countries are going back to social distancing and mask wearing to try and fight the delta variant (see Australia). At the very least *I* would remove fans from the ball bark and only allow parents to be in attendance. especially given that most fans in attendance will be from states with very low vaccination numbers. So, that's what I think of the situation.

However, I'm not in charge. Omaha, the state of Nebraska and the NCAA don't really care about the spread of COVID or the delta variant in the general population and in that regards, they shouldn't care about it among the COVID negative players for NC State. This isn't little league or high school. Every team in the CWS are teams full of adult men that can make their own choices. Get vaccinated, get protected. Don't get vaccinate, don't get protected. Get COVID-19 and sit out. A COVID-19 negative test a player has VERY little chance to pass on the virus if they are in the early stages of the illness. They have even less if the person they are in contact with is vaccinated. After 18 months of this pandemic, we all understand this to be true. If the Nebraska, the NCAA, and Omaha deem the risk of COVID low enough that they can pack 24,000 fans into their ball park without masks and without proof of vaccinations (when most fans will come from states with low vaccination rates) they can allow covid-19 negative players to play.

Yes, it's too different opinions but I'm not saying they should both happen. It's an either / or situation. Either care about COVID...or don't care. I just ask for some consistency.

Personally, if I were in charge of the NCAA, I would have mandated vaccinations for teams as well as fans as soon as they became available. but that's just a fantasy world.

this is my last post on the topic of the CWS and State's self inflicted wounds. We lose a lot next year to graduation and the draft. I'd be happy if you guys could repeat your ACC Title.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I feel like you are getting at two different points, 1) what I think about the situation and 2) what I think about the NCAA's handling of the situation.

I don't think the US has been taking COVID-19 seriously. Not during the height of the pandemic and certainly not now. State could have avoided all of this (probably) by getting everyone vaccinated. They could have been helped by a country/state/university/culture that made it more acceptable to wear masks and make sensible choices during a pandemic. Whether or not the delta variant is able to break through vaccinations better then other strains is another issue of concern. Many countries are going back to social distancing and mask wearing to try and fight the delta variant (see Australia). At the very least *I* would remove fans from the ball bark and only allow parents to be in attendance. especially given that most fans in attendance will be from states with very low vaccination numbers. So, that's what I think of the situation.

However, I'm not in charge. Omaha, the state of Nebraska and the NCAA don't really care about the spread of COVID or the delta variant in the general population and in that regards, they shouldn't care about it among the COVID negative players for NC State. This isn't little league or high school. Every team in the CWS are teams full of adult men that can make their own choices. Get vaccinated, get protected. Don't get vaccinate, don't get protected. Get COVID-19 and sit out. A COVID-19 negative test a player has VERY little chance to pass on the virus if they are in the early stages of the illness. They have even less if the person they are in contact with is vaccinated. After 18 months of this pandemic, we all understand this to be true. If the Nebraska, the NCAA, and Omaha deem the risk of COVID low enough that they can pack 24,000 fans into their ball park without masks and without proof of vaccinations (when most fans will come from states with low vaccination rates) they can allow covid-19 negative players to play.

Yes, it's too different opinions but I'm not saying they should both happen. It's an either / or situation. Either care about COVID...or don't care. I just ask for some consistency.

Personally, if I were in charge of the NCAA, I would have mandated vaccinations for teams as well as fans as soon as they became available. but that's just a fantasy world.
    And you consider the NCAA to be inconsistent? I don't understand how how can rag on the NCAA for allowing fans in the stadium (too lenient!) while complaining that they ended NCSU's promising run (too strict!). Even if you ignore that the NCAA has very little sway in Nebraska local guidelines for large gatherings, even if you ignore that the NCAA has a responsibility to care for the players, coaches, staff, even if you ignore that players are in showers, buses, locker rooms etc and fans are in an open air concourse...

I like you, PackMan97. But your take on this is wildly biased. The fact that this is the delta variant is incredibly relevant. It's more likely to spread as has much more unknown as far as long term effects. Also, I would argue that the fact that the NCAA shut down the Pack before knowing these details shows that the system does work.

As far as the NCAA requiring fans to have a vaccine before attending games... Well, I don't know what to tell you about that.

discussing Duke's inspiring late season run and what might be on the horizon for next year?
    I'm actually more excited for the long term trajectory of the program. I hope we can keep Coach Pollard another 9 years at least.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Ooooh, I like that idea! (And I liked it a few pages back, so I'm thinking it's not gonna happen, lol.)
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    All of the recent CWS posts should be moved to a new thread titled "State Totally Blows It", and leave the thread celebrating our ACC victory unsullied.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Mississippi State has their work cut out for them tonight to force a decisive game 3 of the CWS final. They’ll likely face Kumar Rocker on the hill for Vandy.

Rocker (no relation to John Rocker) has put up some eye popping stats in 2021.

The 6’5”, 245 lb 21 year old junior from Athens, Georgia is 14-3 with a 2.52 ERA. He’s struck out 173 batters in 117.2 innings pitched while walking just 37 batters. He’s surrendered just 69 hits and opponents are batting just .164 against him.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    good idea. Wasting time on State's self inflicted wound is a waste of time. SOOOO...who do we have coming in next year, and how likely is MLB to pilfer one or more of these guys?
    This is extremely complicated. MLB compressed the 2020 draft to five rounds. Which meant lots of people played college baseball in 2021 who thought they would be playing minor league baseball in 2021. Which means there are lots of players in the 2021 draft who expect to get drafted higher than they're going to be drafted.

Further complicating this is the extra year granted by the NCAA due to Covid.

Further complicating this are the new transfer rules.

Further complicating this is the later draft dates, which means players and coaches and parents are going to have a very compressed time line in which to make decisions.

Further complicating things is that any grad-student transfers would already have to be in school, or at least have been accepted. Duke keeps these things close to the vest and I've been too busy to ask.

I talked to Pollard about this stuff a few weeks ago for an article in Go Duke: the Magazine. Pollard is about the straightest shooter I've ever seen at Duke and he just doesn't know what his lineup will look like next season. And I don't think he's being coy.

Alex Mooney is the only signee likely to be drafted high enough to be tempted. Second round through fourth round. He's a shortstop from Michigan. Pollard thinks he's 50/50.

I haven't seen any of Duke's 2021 players mocked as top-five-round-picks. That said, I would be beyond stunned to see Joey Loperfido or Mike Rothenberg back. And Erickson Nichols used his extra year last year. But Ethan Murray, R.J. Shreck, Peter Matt, Chris Crabtree, Jack Carey, Cooper Stinson, I just don't know and I'm not sure anyone will until the dust settles after the draft. But Duke signed a bunch of prepsters with the assumption that roster spots would be available and you can't keep everyone. Some difficult decisions may have to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I haven't seen any of Duke's 2021 players mocked as top-five-round-picks. That said, I would be beyond stunned to see Joey Loperfido or Mike Rothenberg back. And Erickson Nichols used his extra year last year. But Ethan Murray, R.J. Shreck, Peter Matt, Chris Crabtree, Jack Carey, Cooper Stinson, I just don't know and I'm not sure anyone will until the dust settles after the draft. But Duke signed a bunch of prepsters with the assumption that roster spots would be available and you can't keep everyone. Some difficult decisions may have to be made.
    What is the current scholarship situation? How many guys get full rides? Used to be very limited with lots of split or partial scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    What is the current scholarship situation? How many guys get full rides? Used to be very limited with lots of split or partial scholarships.
    The NCAA limit is 11.7 per school; technically its 11 2/3. It is very rare for Duke to give anyone a full ride. Schools tend to be very, very tight-lipped about this because feelings get hurt. It's like finding out a co-worker who you think brings less value to the business makes more than you.

But that's what I was alluding to when I said some tough decisions might have to be made.

That's one of the reasons it's so hard for private schools to compete with state-supported schools. Imagine you're a top recruit from Huntersville or Mebane or Fuquay-Varina. Duke, Wake Forest, UNC, NC State and ECU all offer you a half scholarship.

"Hey Mom and Dad, I can go to Duke and you can pick up half of a Duke tuition. Or I can go to ECU and you can pick up half of in-state tuition."

Some families have the financial resources for that not to matter.

Some do not.

Mississippi State has their work cut out for them tonight to force a decisive game 3 of the CWS final. They’ll likely face Kumar Rocker on the hill for Vandy.

Rocker (no relation to John Rocker) has put up some eye popping stats in 2021.

The 6’5”, 245 lb 21 year old junior from Athens, Georgia is 14-3 with a 2.52 ERA. He’s struck out 173 batters in 117.2 innings pitched while walking just 37 batters. He’s surrendered just 69 hits and opponents are batting just .164 against him.
    State up 4-1 in the bottom of the 4th. I guess the Bulldogs didn’t read your post. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    State up 4-1 in the bottom of the 4th. I guess the Bulldogs didn’t read your post. 😉
    Rocker didn’t pitch, going tonight on 4 days rest.

State up 4-1 in the bottom of the 4th. I guess the Bulldogs didn’t read your post. ��
    After another rain-delayed start, Mississippi State paid Vanderbilt back with a 13-2 thrashing in Game 2. Rocker did not pitch for Vandy, so he's undoubtedly cued up for tonight's finale. The weather looks good for gametime.

And all hands on deck game! I like giving Rocker the extra day's rest. You could also get an inning or two out of Leiter theoretically.

Lol yeah they put it to Vandy last night and I liked to see that, but they’ll face Rocker tonight. Vandy didn’t throw him last night.

I have two cousins that went to Mississippi State. Dudy Noble Field is arguably the best college baseball venue in the country. Starkville (Stark Vegas as the locals call it) is a fine town. And the Left Field Lounge at Dudy Noble Field is what college baseball is all about. Fans gather there to tailgate and grill out during the game - and even offer the opposing team burgers and hot dogs after the game and to join them in eating. I am pulling for the “OmaDawgs” of Mississippi State. Although they have one of the top baseball teams in the NCAA, they are 1 of 3 power 5 schools nationally to not have a national championship in a team sport. The other two are Kansas State and our ACC’s very own, Virginia Tech.

Some prominent future big leaguers played at Mississippi State: Mr. “I have never done steroids … PERIOD.” himself Rafael Palmeiro donned the burgundy and white. As did Will “The Thrill” Clark, Jonathan Papelbon, Jeff Brantley, and many others.

I have two cousins that went to Mississippi State. Dudy Noble Field is arguably the best college baseball venue in the country. Starkville (Stark Vegas as the locals call it) is a fine town. And the Left Field Lounge at Dudy Noble Field is what college baseball is all about. Fans gather there to tailgate and grill out during the game - and even offer the opposing team burgers and hot dogs after the game and to join them in eating. I am pulling for the “OmaDawgs” of Mississippi State. Although they have one of the top baseball teams in the NCAA, they are 1 of 3 power 5 schools nationally to not have a national championship in a team sport. The other two are Kansas State and our ACC’s very own, Virginia Tech.

Some prominent future big leaguers played at Mississippi State: Mr. “I have never done steroids … PERIOD.” himself Rafael Palmeiro donned the burgundy and white. As did Will “The Thrill” Clark, Jonathan Papelbon, Jeff Brantley, and many others.
    There is a good ESPN 30 for 30 feature on that era. Available for purchase on Youtube or shown periodically on the ESPN and SEC channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f7c_VEJvIM

The best team never to win the College World Series? It might have been the 1985 Mississippi State Bulldogs, who produced four Major League Baseball All-Stars. Two of them, Bobby Thigpen and Jeff Brantley, became Relievers of the Year, while the other two, Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro, formed the imposing one-two punch known as “Thunder and Lightning.” As teammates at Mississippi State, they nearly propelled the Bulldogs to a College World Series title. Thirty years later, director Rory Karpf revisits those fabled Bulldogs, tracks the complicated relationship between Clark and Palmeiro, and brings closure to men who should be remembered for what they did, and not for what they didn’t do.

Loved Will the Thrill when he got picked up by my Cardinals - he was quite the character.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Lol yeah they put it to Vandy last night and I liked to see that, but they’ll face Rocker tonight. Vandy didn’t throw him last night.

You’ve got me worried about Rocker. That’s going to be a major challenge for the Bulldogs tonight.

I’ve been rooting hard for Mississippi State — other than when they faced my Texas Longhorns. My dad grew up in Drew, Mississippi (across the street from Archie Manning, who was several years younger than him, but they still played football together quite a bit because Archie was advanced for his age).

Go Bulldogs!