Page 64 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1469
    I am thinking today that I wish James were still with us. He would definetly have some comments for my Pack, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm not surprised. AD Boo Corrigan used to be at Duke, that's all I'll say...
    Meaning what? He was an associate AD for a hot minute before going to West Point. I guess you take the good with the bad. Gene Corrigan, a Duke grad, was arguably the best ACC commissioner since the conference’s inception.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    It appears that four of the players tested positive for State were vaccinated, so I wouldn't be so sure. I know the New York Yankees had an outbreak among vaccinated players and personnel. So, it's not unheard of.

Again, all I ask is that if the NCAA is going to end the season of a team at the final four, they do the work to show that the tournament is safe to continue.

I also ask for the same treatment Clemson got when Trevor Lawrence tested positive. Shouldn't the sabe standard apply?

Transparency and equitable treatment is not to much to ask.
    PackMan97, I just heard on the Texas vs. Miss. St. broadcast that the entire Vandy team was indeed tested and all were cleared today.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    PackMan97, I just heard on the Texas vs. Miss. St. broadcast that the entire Vandy team was indeed tested and all were cleared today.
    Good.

More information has come out in the NC State side, a number of the unvaccinated players had covid this spring. The covid protocols the NCAA is following exempts vaccinated athletes OR athletes who have had Covid in the past 90 days. It looks like for many that 90 days recently ran out. So it isn't as socially irresponsible as to say they were risking dpreading the disease due to natural immunity. Now, as far as being aware of the NCAA protocol and missing that 90 day window and this being ruled ineligible due to contact tracing, that's an entirely different matter.

Vaccinations may have prevented this.

Unfortunate decision for NC State.
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...derbilt-finals

"Our coaching staff deserve better. Us players deserve better. Our fans deserve better. Everyone that believed in us deserve better. We all deserve better. @NCAACWS you have ruined the biggest moment of our player's lives so far. What a joke.''

Unbelievably selfish and dumb of NC State. It should be a requirement for any scholarship athlete Honestly, the coach and AD should lose their job over this. Inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Unbelievably selfish and dumb of NC State. It should be a requirement for any scholarship athlete Honestly, the coach and AD should lose their job over this. Inexcusable.
    I am uncertain as a public university, if NC state could mandate taking a vaccine that does not have full FDA approval. Just food for thought there.

I believe that it's optional for the military even though a whole host of vaccines are mandatory, largely for the reason the vaccines only have emergency approval.

I am uncertain as a public university, if NC state could mandate taking a vaccine that does not have full FDA approval. Just food for thought there.

I believe that it's optional for the military even though a whole host of vaccines are mandatory, largely for the reason the vaccines only have emergency approval.
    Yep. It can. "You ain't vaccinated -- you ain't practicing or playing."

From my decades in the nation's capital, I tend to believe that "evil intent" in the bureaucracy is more often "laziness and procrastination." That's why I believe direct orders from coaches would have prevented this awful outcome.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yep. It can. "You ain't vaccinated -- you ain't practicing or playing."

From my decades in the nation's capital, I tend to believe that "evil intent" in the bureaucracy is more often "laziness and procrastination." That's why I believe direct orders from coaches would have prevented this awful outcome.
    Brandon Beane GM for the Buffalo Bills said if there are two players left and one is vaccinated the other not he will cut the unvaccinated one.

Miss. State beat Texas 4-3 tonight to advance. The CWS will be Vanderbilt vs. Miss. State starting Monday at 6pm ET.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Brandon Beane GM for the Buffalo Bills said if there are two players left and one is vaccinated the other not he will cut the unvaccinated one.
    These are the first mRNA vaccines ever, and granted Emergency Use Authorization (i.e. they haven’t been fully vetted like other vaccines; the trials won’t end for several years). The risk of death from SARS-CoV-2 is vanishingly small for the young and healthy. It is not without complications, including myocarditis in young males. This has been politicized to the extreme. Just look at the embarrassing takes of the pathetic disqualification of State from the CWS.

Quote Originally Posted by triple duke View Post
    These are the first mRNA vaccines ever, and granted Emergency Use Authorization (i.e. they haven’t been fully vetted like other vaccines; the trials won’t end for several years). The risk of death from SARS-CoV-2 is vanishingly small for the young and healthy. It is not without complications, including myocarditis in young males. This has been politicized to the extreme. Just look at the embarrassing takes of the pathetic disqualification of State from the CWS.
    The risk of death from the vaccine is vanishingly small for everyone.

To throw another wrinkle in the mix, apparently it is advised you wait at lest 90 days after getting covid before getting a vaccine. Depending on the date some of State's players got sick with Covid, they could have been looking at getting a vaccine, it the second shot, in the middle of the post season, it could also be possible that given the 5 week window between first shot and full vaccinations status the calendar just didn't work out.

It's not as simple as it all sounds at first reports.

I have no idea where the truth lies.

To throw another wrinkle in the mix, apparently it is advised you wait at lest 90 days after getting covid before getting a vaccine. Depending on the date some of State's players got sick with Covid, they could have been looking at getting a vaccine, it the second shot, in the middle of the post season, it could also be possible that given the 5 week window between first shot and full vaccinations status the calendar just didn't work out.

It's not as simple as it all sounds at first reports.

It may not be as simple as it sounds, but it does seem like the NCAA followed the protocols that they had laid out and rightfully DQ’d NC State. It sucks for them and Duke fans feel their pain from the way our bball season ended, but those were the rules.

If they could have been vaccinated and weren’t, it’s all on them. If they couldn’t because of the 90 day window, we’ll, it sucks for them and it’s a tough break.

The truth lies here: due to health and safety protocols and action on the field, Vanderbilt will be playing Mississippi State for the NCAA Baseball Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Meaning what? He was an associate AD for a hot minute before going to West Point. I guess you take the good with the bad. Gene Corrigan, a Duke grad, was arguably the best ACC commissioner since the conference’s inception.
    I'm not talking about Gene Corrigan though...I'm talking about Boo with whom I had quite an interaction some years ago, leaving me completely unsurprised that he's in charge of this current hot mess.

Meanwhile, blistering USA Today article about State's coach...when he was asked about having his team vaccinated, he said that "isn't in my job description." Then when asked further about why they weren't vaccinated, he said "I don't want to talk politics."

Every vaccine has risks. Those risks are immensely smaller than the risk of dying from Covid. Even more so from the risk of transferring Covid to someone else who dies (or who transferred it to someone else, who dies). At the top of medical breakthroughs over the last 150 years is the discovery of vaccines. We stopped MMR and polio and tetanus and smallpox. Saving millions of lives.

Now we can stop Covid. 99% iof current hospitalizations are unvaccinated. Look at NE. Almost no transfer going on now, all thanks to a nearly 75% vaccination rate.

You want to talk about politicization? Look at the current counties with active spreading and hospitalizations and see who they voted for. This is 100% preventable. And maddening.

And yes, every employer with a heart should mandate that eligible people get the vaccine. So should all colleges. Not doing so is selfish and deadly. There is no other way to explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by triple duke View Post

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If someone is not vaccinated, whether through their personal choice or medical concerns, they are asked to continue to follow social distancing guidelines and wear a mask, which protects themselves and those around them. That's a proven fact.

Several NC State players and coaches obviously chose to do neither.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Several NC State players and coaches obviously chose to do neither.
    Avent was masked on Friday. I don't recall if he was on Monday, frankly didn't notice it.