Mason Plumlee makes NBA All Rookie First Team!

http://www.netsdaily.com/2014/5/22/5...kie-first-team

Ryan Kelly also got some votes, but just missed 2nd team. Would have been 3rd team, if there was one.

I still do not understand why GMs took an unproven guy as #1 and skipped MP2 in the last draft. If you need a big, Noel and Mason were the only two options, Cody's D was questionable at that time. Are most GMs from schools like UNC?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this makes three straight years that Duke has produced a first-team all-rookie pick -- Kyrie in 2012, Kyle in 2013 and now Mason in 2014.

Good chance to make it four in a row with Jabari -- the most NBA ready player in the draft -- in 2015.

edit: I just checked and Kyle only made second team in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by bbosbbos View Post
    I still do not understand why GMs took an unproven guy as #1 and skipped MP2 in the last draft. If you need a big, Noel and Mason were the only two options, Cody's D was questionable at that time. Are most GMs from schools like UNC?
    I remember a few years ago one of the local radio guys, Adam Gold maybe, said "1 Zeller was worth more than 3 Plumlee's" or something to that affect.

I wonder if he feels the same way now?

Mason

I watched him play in a few games and didn't see much production. I think he has the tools to work into his role over time and maybe he will find a mid range shot going forward. He is big and athletic so I would say his future looks bright. Maybe this also bodes well for Marshall who is also big and fairly athletic, but slow to blossom.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I watched him play in a few games and didn't see much production. I think he has the tools to work into his role over time and maybe he will find a mid range shot going forward. He is big and athletic so I would say his future looks bright. Maybe this also bodes well for Marshall who is also big and fairly athletic, but slow to blossom.
    Living in NYC, I saw a number of Nets games. Mason showed a lot this season. When Lopez and Garnett were out, there were some really dominant games where he was a great contributor to the team. Showed his athleticism including some highlight reel plays. Also contributed great energy and drive. I think if you saw those games you might have concluded differently. In all, I think a strong rookie year for him with a seemingly bright future.

Nice blue planet video, with a MP1 cameo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcmNY...=youtube_gdata

I always that MP2 was a very underrated passer as a big man at Duke and would have liked to have seen Duke run more offense through him in the high post. Of course it would have been much more effective if Plumlee had a reliable jumper from 15-feet. Anyway for those of you who keep up with the NBA, how is Plumlee progressing as a passer?

Only watched a few games

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Living in NYC, I saw a number of Nets games. Mason showed a lot this season. When Lopez and Garnett were out, there were some really dominant games where he was a great contributor to the team. Showed his athleticism including some highlight reel plays. Also contributed great energy and drive. I think if you saw those games you might have concluded differently. In all, I think a strong rookie year for him with a seemingly bright future.
    I didn't see enough to tell and the games I watched he was so so. His main strength offensively seems to remain the dunk. In the NBA that seems to be more available. His U tube video showed some nice blocks as well.