Page 1065 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 65565965101510551063106410651066106710751115116515652065 ... LastLast
Results 21,281 to 21,300 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    While this might be a Septemberfest spoiler, cracked open my first Octoberfest of the year.

Smells like malted barley, looks like grade B maple syrup in the glass.

Gloriously unbalanced and malty.
    Chewy mouthfeel reminiscent of caramel, and just enough hops to lightly tickle your tongue at the end.

Has me pondering, is there a better style suited to year round consumption than Marzen/Octoberfest?

It’s heavy enough to provide some comfort in winter months while also being a beer you could drink in the summer heat.
    Love it! I also picked up a few Oktoberfests today to start preparing for 9/21. Tony at Stella told me he loves Oktoberfests so much he tries to make sure he doesn't die this time of year.

accfan, Stella also had discounted their Delirium Tremens by 50 cents a can. So I got that covered! Good thing too, now I don't have to fly to Belgium (er Total Wine).

St. Bretta Citrus Saison - Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project - 5.2 % ABV -

Pour was golden yellow with thin white head. It looked a little limey. It smelled citrus with a little brett funk appreciable.

It tasted like orange with slight pepper, but dominated by lemon tartness. It was grassy, but I couldn't really appreciate coriander and really not that much brett flavor that I could tell. It was smooth and moderately carbonated - good feel.

I was underwhelmed, but maybe just flavors were not for me. Fuse Category 1.

Note: this is not part of the Crooked Stave sour series that I did manage to find at Stella. Those are still in the fridge, with tasting and reviewing to come. This was more of a summer beer in the fridge that I'm trying to clear out.

While this might be a Septemberfest spoiler, cracked open my first Octoberfest of the year.

Smells like malted barley, looks like grade B maple syrup in the glass.

Gloriously unbalanced and malty.
    Chewy mouthfeel reminiscent of caramel, and just enough hops to lightly tickle your tongue at the end.

Has me pondering, is there a better style suited to year round consumption than Marzen/Octoberfest?

It’s heavy enough to provide some comfort in winter months while also being a beer you could drink in the summer heat.
    Which one?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The beers of Wicked Weed I miss:

Black Angel
    Genesis
    Medora
    Silencio
    Angel of Darkness
    Red Angel
    El Paraiso
    Xibalba
    Coolcumber
    Montmarretto
    Serenity
    French Toast

submitted in no particular order and by reviewing the WW website.

Everybody gets excited about Lieutenant Dank and Pernicious. I think they are good, and not really where Wicked Weed shines.

I can’t even tell you what of the above WW even brews anymore.

I owe mattman a big tip of the cap for shipping me Wicked Weed beer when everyone was raving about it, and it wasn’t generally available in the Triangle. My face on opening the package was like Christmas. Good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Love it! I also picked up a few Oktoberfests today to start preparing for 9/21. Tony at Stella told me he loves Oktoberfests so much he tries to make sure he doesn't die this time of year.

accfan, Stella also had discounted their Delirium Tremens by 50 cents a can. So I got that covered! Good thing too, now I don't have to fly to Belgium (er Total Wine).
    Hope you bought him a case...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hope you bought him a case...

I'm not trying to put him into delirium tremens! That's strong stuff.

(actually I did pick up a 4 pack)

Looking forward to it...

The beers of Wicked Weed I miss:

Black Angel
    Genesis
    Medora
    Silencio
    Angel of Darkness
    Red Angel
    El Paraiso
    Xibalba
    Coolcumber
    Montmarretto
    Serenity
    French Toast

submitted in no particular order and by reviewing the WW website.

Everybody gets excited about Lieutenant Dank and Pernicious. I think they are good, and not really where Wicked Weed shines.

I can’t even tell you what of the above WW even brews anymore.

I owe mattman a big tip of the cap for shipping me Wicked Weed beer when everyone was raving about it, and it wasn’t generally available in the Triangle. My face on opening the package was like Christmas. Good memories.
    I'll guess I've only had two or three from your list above.

Sour Rose - Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project - 4.5 % ABV - American Wild Ale fermented in Oak with Raspberries and Blueberries

Pour is a beautiful dark pink, more yellow-pink on close inspection. Aroma is sour brett.

The taste flavors interplay very nicely - first raspberry, then touch of oak and blueberry. The most dominant taste though is the sour wild yeast, like a kettle sour. And I'm fine with that. The finish is dry and nice. Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.

Overall - that's more like it. This is a very good beer that I would enjoy again and again. Outstanding really. Fuse Category 2 all the way.

($3 can, again not from the special sour series I'm looking forward to)
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 09-02-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Had a Wiseman Blackberry Raspberry Berliner Weiss with lunch today.

Looked like a raspberry smoothie. A really nice blend of fruit and sour.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Which one?
    Nah, that would be telling... 😜

Cerveza Sin Frontera en barrique de Cognac - Collaboration with Jester King and Crooked Stave - 7.8 % ABV - "showcases unique mixed culture of yeast and brewing bacteria used at Brasserie Trois Dames. Beer rested in Cognac barrels for 8 months prior to bottle conditioning. Each brewery brewed the same beer with their own mixed culture and Cognac barrels.

"Bottled spring 2017. Best before 3/2020."

It pours brown like a very light cola. You smell the cognac and sour, and you know you're in for something special.

Then you taste. OMG. Holy F words. Fuse Category 3. They really should barrel age more beer with cognac. It's stunning.

The taste is cherry, maybe even some tomato with beautiful oak wood, intense but nice sour, and the cognac bigtime adds to the flavor profile. I'm sure there is a lot going on, but it's delicious and quite drinkable. The cognac adds light sweetness that pairs so nicely with the sour - you know that immediately when you smell it.

Did I mention Fuse Category 3? Worth seeking out.

Cerveza Sin Frontera en barrique de Cognac - Collaboration with Jester King and Crooked Stave - 7.8 % ABV - "showcases unique mixed culture of yeast and brewing bacteria used at Brasserie Trois Dames. Beer rested in Cognac barrels for 8 months prior to bottle conditioning. Each brewery brewed the same beer with their own mixed culture and Cognac barrels.

It pours brown like a very light cola. You smell the cognac and sour, and you know you're in for something special.

Then you taste. OMG. Holy F words. Fuse Category 3. They really should barrel age more beer with cognac. It's stunning.

The taste is cherry, maybe even some tomato with beautiful oak wood, intense but nice sour, and the cognac bigtime adds to the flavor profile. I'm sure there is a lot going on, but it's delicious and quite drinkable. The cognac adds light sweetness that pairs so nicely with the sour - you know that immediately when you smell it.

I didn’t even get past your first sentence before I expected fireworks.

Wish we had more Jester King coming our way. I’ve seen collaboration beer with JK, not sure they distribute to NC, or at least I don’t recall seeing it in stores.

What a review, I am over here drooling.

I didn’t even get past your first sentence before I expected fireworks.

Wish we had more Jester King coming our way. I’ve seen collaboration beer with JK, not sure they distribute to NC, or at least I don’t recall seeing it in stores.

What a review, I am over here drooling.
    I let my wife taste it and she smiled and said, "ooohhh that's really fun." Then as I was drinking she wanted some more. And she truly hates beer. This was that good.

I am kicking myself that I only got that one bottle, because I wish I'd picked up a few more to share. They're long gone at Stella. Hopefully Tripping William got the rest. I would have bought every bottle they had too if I'd tasted this sooner. At the time I wasn't even sure I was getting this one because it was $10 for an 11.2 oz bottle. And it wasn't one of the Crooked Stave series they were telling me about. It was just over there in that section. I'll look for more Jester King and request they get more if possible.

I let my wife taste it and she smiled and said, "ooohhh that's really fun." Then as I was drinking she wanted some more. And she truly hates beer. This was that good.

I am kicking myself that I only got that one bottle, because I wish I'd picked up a few more to share. They're long gone at Stella. Hopefully Tripping William got the rest. I would have bought every bottle they had too if I'd tasted this sooner. At the time I wasn't even sure I was getting this one because it was $10 for an 11.2 oz bottle. And it wasn't one of the Crooked Stave series they were telling me about. It was just over there in that section. I'll look for more Jester King and request they get more if possible.
    Alas .... no.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I've never had a Jester King beer, except perhaps a collaboration a few years ago.

This sounds amazing.

From last PM-got lost in the Tasseography Project, which is far better than the Blair Witch Project:

Dank's Revenge (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

An American IPA pint treat from our older son-in-law.

Pour was a fairly clear sunshine yellow with a faint orange tint and a modest, creamy head. I'm still tired of regular/traditional IPAs but this was a nicely balanced one with a resiny/citrusy nose that led to some pine on the palate with a pleasant grapefruity-rindy counterweight and mild, caramel-y sweetness. I'll guess the IBUs were 60-70 and the chalkboard claimed ABV at 7.4%. Fuse Cat 2 and would recommend/sip again.

Salty Turtle is however going to have to raise their game a bit as I had already tasted 6 of the 10 beers that were tapped yesterday with repeats going back to our first visit sometime in March, IIRC. They've all been good to very good, especially a couple of the high gravity ones I tried on two other visits.

Open invite to the locals and not-so-locals to our tailgate on Saturday before the A&T home opener. The menu looks great, the beer tasters never fail to disappoint and I think Ozzie will be washed/showered and clean shaven. PM me for details/"guidelines"/suggestions/format/additional info.

Picked up another Octoberfest.

Clawhammer remains...elusive.

Picked up another Octoberfest.

Clawhammer remains...elusive.
    Not elusive at our local Harris Teeter. Didn't even make a feeble attempt at escaping my grocery basket . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."