Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    I hope that we can land a 4 star offense lineman or 2 - maybe thru the transfer portal.

Graham Barton has been recognized as Tennessee Region 6-6A Offensive Lineman of the Year.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    All of this. Even if Cut changes his mind, you have to find a player who would be an upgrade to our current roster,who wants to transfer to Duke, and who can qualify academically.
    The academic concern is a red herring. They’ve already graduated from college, perhaps in 3 years. They’ve already shown they attend class. Surely almost all of them would be a lower academic risk than many football recruits right out of high school. Duke’s great, but it’s not Caltech; there should be a niche somewhere on campus for bright, well-intended college grads.

K has the talent concern: very few potential senior transfers, if any, are good enough to get into our typical rotation. Basically, if they’re good enough to immediately help a 21st century Duke team, they’re also good enough to play in the NBA. But if somebody was located, K would fight for him.

The problem in football might be one of Cut’s strengths: loyalty to his guys. Bringing in 3-5 senior outsiders might feel like he’s renting players and undercutting the young men who’ve sweated with him. Heisman trophy candidates (or even definite future NFL guys) aren’t likely to want to come play in a half empty stadium, but guys half a notch below the super-elite level might be convinced that an MM from the Duke business school (or whatever else we can offer) is better than some bogus PE grad school offering wherever. For most sub-NFL players at the elite Land Grant universities, full stadiums don’t translate into good jobs; a Duke degree might.

I’d also guess that bringing in a few Jeremy Cash type guys might have the effect of showing the rest of the team the sort of athletic effort and discipline that is standard at the Alabamas and Oklahomas.

To get those guys, Cut would have to not wait for them to jump through the transom. He’d have to enlist a few Duke programs to be open to 1-2 year players (ie, we should have a program, not wait for players to reinvent the wheel), actively seek people in the portal, and then show them love and a life roadmap—how a year or two at Duke could change their careers, which would be true, regardless of whether they made the NFL (tho I’d certainly argue that the NFL will locate talent wherever, and Duke’s still a P5 school whose tape is easily available). It could even be a bragging point, especially if we could offer a two-year scholarship to finish the grad degree, even if they’re only playing one year.

It could even be combined with a summer program for all Duke athletes (? + regular students who apply): business of sport, or whatever, a sort of AB Duke track for people who can lift heavy things, and those who love them.

Maybe this approach is not worth Cut’s time, or maybe it’d risk the family vibe, but I’d bet it would improve the talent level of our top 35 players in November.
    Last edited by johnb; 12-12-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    The academic concern is a red herring. They’ve already graduated from college, perhaps in 3 years. They’ve already shown they attend class. Surely almost all of them would be a lower academic risk than many football recruits right out of high school. Duke’s great, but it’s not Caltech; there should be a niche somewhere on campus for bright, well-intended college grads.

K has the talent concern: very few potential senior transfers, if any, are good enough to get into our typical rotation. Basically, if they’re good enough to immediately help a 21st century Duke team, they’re also good enough to play in the NBA. But if somebody was located, K would fight for him.

The problem in football might be one of Cut’s strengths: loyalty to his guys. Bringing in 3-5 senior outsiders might feel like he’s renting players and undercutting the young men who’ve sweated with him. Heisman trophy candidates (or even definite future NFL guys) aren’t likely to want to come play in a half empty stadium, but guys half a notch below the super-elite level might be convinced that an MM from the Duke business school (or whatever else we can offer) is better than some bogus PE grad school offering wherever. For most sub-NFL players at the elite Land Grant universities, full stadiums don’t translate into good jobs; a Duke degree might.

I’d also guess that bringing in a few Jeremy Cash type guys might have the effect of showing the rest of the team the sort of athletic effort and discipline that is standard at the Alabamas and Oklahomas.

To get those guys, Cut would have to not wait for them to jump through the transom. He’d have to enlist a few Duke programs to be open to 1-2 year players (ie, we should have a program, not wait for players to reinvent the wheel), actively seek people in the portal, and then show them love and a life roadmap—how a year or two at Duke could change their careers, which would be true, regardless of whether they made the NFL (tho I’d certainly argue that the NFL will locate talent wherever, and Duke’s still a P5 school whose tape is easily available). It could even be a bragging point, especially if we could offer a two-year scholarship to finish the grad degree, even if they’re only playing one year.

It could even be combined with a summer program for all Duke athletes (? + regular students who apply): business of sport, or whatever, a sort of AB Duke track for people who can lift heavy things, and those who love them.

Maybe this approach is not worth Cut’s time, or maybe it’d risk the family vibe, but I’d bet it would improve the talent level of our top 35 players in November.
    My understanding from multiple sources is that prospective grad-student transfers have to have the ability to get into grad school at Duke on their own, i.e. in competition with the non-athletic applicant pool. That does significantly limit the pool.

It's going to take more than just going to class for 3/4 years.

I've cited baseball coach Chris Pollard as an example of a Duke coach who has made this work, largely by going after Ivy-League players. He did have a pitcher from Creighton but he was an academic all-American.

So, no, I do not think this is a red herring.

Graham Barton

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Graham Barton has been recognized as Tennessee Region 6-6A Offensive Lineman of the Year.
    Graham's high school team lost the 6-A championship in Tennessee last week but his play this year has been excellent. He actually played both ways during the year. He should be a big asset for Duke.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    WRAL has a story up about in-state recruiting. Thirteen players for 2020 and '21 are listed in Rivals' top 100. Unfortunately many of them have committed to or are strongly looking at Chapel Hill. Many have Duke on their offer sheets however.

https://www.highschoolot.com/13-foot...sses/18827440/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    WRAL has a story up about in-state recruiting. Thirteen players for 2020 and '21 are listed in Rivals' top 100. Unfortunately many of them have committed to or are strongly looking at Chapel Hill. Many have Duke on their offer sheets however.

https://www.highschoolot.com/13-foot...sses/18827440/
    Recruiting in state against Carolina is an uphill battle which probably became a bit steeper with the return of old what’s his name as Coach in Chapel Hill. Those of us who grew up in North Carolina (like CB&B) understand this. However, achieving success isn’t impossible as Duke has signed some quality local players in recent years.

Early signing day is next Wednesday so I am hopeful all our guys sign and we get some surprise signings.
    Bob Green

Recruiting in state against Carolina is an uphill battle which probably became a bit steeper with the return of old what’s his name as Coach in Chapel Hill. Those of us who grew up in North Carolina (like CB&B) understand this. However, achieving success isn’t impossible as Duke has signed some quality local players in recent years.

Early signing day is next Wednesday so I am hopeful all our guys sign and we get some surprise signings.
    I'm with you in hoping all our committed recruits sign and maybe we get some surprise signings. Like you and CB&B I grew up here in the Piedmont when most of my friends were Cheat fans. There were some State fans, a few Wake fans and even fewer Duke fans. For as long as I can remember, Cheat U always seemed to get the instate football players. Maybe it started with the Charlie Choo-Choo Justice days. He was the most well known player and most talked about player in my home town. It had to help that many of the instate journalist were Cheat graduates and they got most of the press. I'm thankful that Coach Cut has been able to make some inroads with some of our high school players but I don't think Duke will ever be able to build a team with mostly NC high school players.
    GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm with you in hoping all our committed recruits sign and maybe we get some surprise signings. Like you and CB&B I grew up here in the Piedmont when most of my friends were Cheat fans. There were some State fans, a few Wake fans and even fewer Duke fans. For as long as I can remember, Cheat U always seemed to get the instate football players. Maybe it started with the Charlie Choo-Choo Justice days. He was the most well known player and most talked about player in my home town. It had to help that many of the instate journalist were Cheat graduates and they got most of the press. I'm thankful that Coach Cut has been able to make some inroads with some of our high school players but I don't think Duke will ever be able to build a team with mostly NC high school players.
    GoDuke!
    Agree with all you said and I’d add the obvious; far too many WalMarts in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Agree with all you said and I’d add the obvious; far too many WalMarts in NC.
    ...you forgot the prefix...."...and in a related story...."

Coach Cutcliffe and staff are working hard as Signing Day approaches. Here are some prospects they are pursuing:

WR Jontavius Robertson

https://www.si.com/college/duke/foot...vis-robertson/

ATH Da’Quan Johnson

https://www.si.com/college/duke/foot...aquan-johnson/

LB Ryan Smith

https://www.si.com/college/duke/foot...ma-ryan-smith/
    Bob Green

Coach Cutcliffe and staff are working hard as Signing Day approaches. Here are some prospects they are pursuing:

WR Jontavius Robertson

https://www.si.com/college/duke/foot...vis-robertson/

ATH Da’Quan Johnson

https://www.si.com/college/duke/foot...aquan-johnson/

LB Ryan Smith

https://www.si.com/college/duke/foot...ma-ryan-smith/
    Great info Bob. I also saw on twitter that we are trying to flip a three star Texas center commitment of Boston college.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I also saw on twitter that we are trying to flip a three star Texas center commitment of Boston college.
    Addison Penn (6’4” 280) from Southlake, TX.
    Bob Green

They’re maybe not as highly ranked or recruited as we would like but need bodies at this phase. Any idea how it’s going

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    They’re maybe not as highly ranked or recruited as we would like but need bodies at this phase. Any idea how it’s going
    This is a big weekend for on campus visits. Watch the next week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    These guys are miles ahead of the Franks recruits; back then we were competing against Toledo and Ball State for players.

Recruiting in football is alot different than basketball. Some of our members fail to realize that a 2 or 3 star recruit will be under Cut's tutelage for 4yrs. Good teaching and good students turn into good football players.
    Thanks to Bob Green for his input.

These guys are miles ahead of the Franks recruits; back then we were competing against Toledo and Ball State for players.
    And losing.

Strawman argument. Shouldn’t settle for worse than mediocracy. If schools like Wake can be on an upward trajectory and schools like BC are pouring money into the program, along with Northwestern winning their division the other year (know Duke did this back in ‘13 as well) there shouldn’t be an excuse for a terrible program. It’s a mindset shift needed in the organization and parts of the fan base.

Some of these recruits might have potential and I’d be happy for them to commit - that said their offer sheets and star rankings aren’t above average. Cut has turned people with similar profiles into stars. There have also been a ton of Duke commits with that profile who didn’t see the field or didn’t perform to ACC expectations.

I hope that we don’t settle for 2 stars just because we need bodies. I would rather save the scholarships for later rather than using on long shots. All of the private schools except Notre Dame had a down year but I think kids will want to play and will more likely be transferring from schools than sitting. There will be plenty of options if we proactively seek transfers. Cutcliffe has plenty of friends in the coaching profession that could help direct players to Duke. I know our baseball coach has had great success in getting transfers.