Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FIBA U17 World Championship

The USA defeated Argentina 82-70 in their first game at the FIBA U17 World Championship being held in Hamburg, Germany. Here is the game recap and box score. The recap credits stifling defense including a full court press as the difference.

Mike Gilchrist led the way with an impressive 22 points and 15 rebounds.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The USA defeated Argentina 82-70 in their first game at the FIBA U17 World Championship being held in Hamburg, Germany. Here is the game recap and box score. The recap credits stifling defense including a full court press as the difference.

Mike Gilchrist led the way with an impressive 22 points and 15 rebounds.
    I haven't been able to see them yet, but according to many guys I talked to at the FIBA U-18 games, this is the most talented U-17 squad ever.

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/roster.html

USA improves to 2-0 with a 102-66 shellacking of Lithuania. Brad Beal and James McAdoo were the leading scorers with 16 points each. McAdoo led the team in rebounds with seven, while Quinn Cook dished out eight assists.

Our next game is on Monday against China. The game starts at 1645 Central European Time which is 1045 Eastern or 0745 Pacific.
    Bob Green

USA is up on Egypt 38-16 at the end of the 1st Quarter. Quinn Cook has six points and four assists. Brad Beal (Florida commit) is the leading scorer with 13 points. USA was 7/10 on 3-pointers during the first quarter.
    Bob Green

USA is up on Egypt 38-16 at the end of the 1st Quarter. Quinn Cook has six points and four assists. Brad Beal (Florida commit) is the leading scorer with 13 points. USA was 7/10 on 3-pointers during the first quarter.
    Brad Beal is the real deal. Florida could have been really good in the next few years if Austin had decided to stay with his original commitment. After watching Pat Young dominate in San Antonio, put him with Beal, Rivers, and two other 2010 commits Casey Prather and Cody Larson. That is a stacked squad for the 2011-2012 year.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Brad Beal is the real deal. Florida could have been really good in the next few years if Austin had decided to stay with his original commitment. After watching Pat Young dominate in San Antonio, put him with Beal, Rivers, and two other 2010 commits Casey Prather and Cody Larson. That is a stacked squad for the 2011-2012 year.
    Don't forget Erving Walker and possibly Kenny Boynton, also add in transfer Mike Rosario and I'm sure they will be fine without Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Don't forget Erving Walker and possibly Kenny Boynton, also add in transfer Mike Rosario and I'm sure they will be fine without Rivers.
    Good point. They are also on the short lists of Rakeem Christmas, Adonis Thomas, and Sam Thompson.

Quinn Cook ended up dishing out 10 assists in the USA 132-64 victory.
    Bob Green

There doesn't seem to be much interest in discussing the U17 World Championship on the board, however, I'll bump it back to the top once again. USA plays Australia in the Quarterfinals on Friday morning at 1045 Eastern. Our semi-final opponent will be the winner of the Canada/China game (yes, I'm guaranteeing a USA victory over Australia).

Quinn Cook averaged 7.8 assists and 9.2 points per game over the five games of the preliminary round. He is the starting point guard. Brad Beal (Florida), James McAdoo (UNC) and Michael Gilchrist (Kentucky) are the leading scorers.
    Bob Green

There doesn't seem to be much interest in discussing the U17 World Championship on the board, however, I'll bump it back to the top once again. USA plays Australia in the Quarterfinals on Friday morning at 1045 Eastern. Our semi-final opponent will be the winner of the Canada/China game (yes, I'm guaranteeing a USA victory over Australia).

Quinn Cook averaged 7.8 assists and 9.2 points per game over the five games of the preliminary round. He is the starting point guard. Brad Beal (Florida), James McAdoo (UNC) and Michael Gilchrist (Kentucky) are the leading scorers.
    Thanks for the reports. I am curious that M. Teague hasn't been getting more playing time and production for the U-17 team. I was under the impression that he was a top-5 recruit and some people ranked him ahead of Rivers in the backcourt. After hearing of Austin's outstanding performance at the U-18 championships, I would have expected Teague to be dominant at the U-17. Is he just not getting the playing time on a stacked team? Or...?

Hey, Bob, thanks for posting these accounts. I've been reading them and appreciate the info.

USA Basketball overall seems to be healthier than it has been in quite some time. Some of that credit should definitely go to Coach K and Jerry Colangelo.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I am curious that M. Teague hasn't been getting more playing time and production for the U-17 team....Is he just not getting the playing time on a stacked team? Or...?
    Quinn Cook is the starting point guard and has played 110 minutes in five games. Teague has played 94 minutes. A comparison of key stats:

Cook: 9.2 points, 7.8 assists, 2.8 turnovers, and 3.2 rebounds per game
    Teague: 7.2 points, 5.4 assists, 2.8 turnovers, and 2 rebounds per game

Here is a link to the USA Cumulative Stats. I believe Teague has been getting significant playing time, and he was instrumental off the bench against Serbia when the USA fell behind in the 1st Quarter, however, Quinn Cook is a dynamite point guard.

Edit: 3-point field goal percentages: Cook is shooting 52.9% on 3-pointers (9/17), while Teague is 0.0% (0/8).
    Last edited by Bob Green; 07-08-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Add 3-point field goal percentages
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Hey, Bob, thanks for posting these accounts. I've been reading them and appreciate the info.
    You're welcome! I really enjoy following and discussing USA Basketball. The young player's performances in these games are indicative of how they will perform at the collegiate level.
    Bob Green

USA will face Canada in the semi-finals after disposing of Australia 105-70. Quinn Cook finished with 2 points and 7 assists in only 16 minutes of action. Andre Drummond had a double-double of 10 points and 12 rebounds in 14 minutes. The big scorers were Brad Beal with 25 points (22 mins) and James McAdoo with 17 points (18 mins). Justin Anderson played 7 minutes and scored 5 points.
    Bob Green

Quinn Cook should very much be someone that we're paying attention to in this tourney. The coaching staff certainly is.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Quinn Cook should very much be someone that we're paying attention to in this tourney. The coaching staff certainly is.
    I hope this kids recruitment drags on until KI decides if he's staying or leaving. I think we'd have a great shot at him if KI does leave early.

I have been impressed that he has been starting ahead of Teague and playing very well. Did I read somewhere that Nate is at the tourney now?

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I have been impressed that he has been starting ahead of Teague and playing very well. Did I read somewhere that Nate is at the tourney now?
    Nationwide Nate has expanded to International Nate. He is our answer to Worldwide Wes.

Maybe he gets to keep his frequent flyer miles.

Nationwide Nate has expanded to International Nate. He is our answer to Worldwide Wes.
    I assume if we have an answer to Worldwide Wes, there will be no stopping us now.