Page 51 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 414950515253611011515511051 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    ... and bulldogs (UGA slobbers too much). Any word on Samoyeds?
    You only see UGA drooling b/c he's out in the Georgia heat. My guy only drools when overly exerted, or after drinking.

If you want a samoyed, I hope you like the thought of white fluff covering every surface of your house. I used to housesit for one, learned quickly to not wear anything darker than tan while visiting. Oh, and it ate its own hair. Weird dog. Would just turn around and grab a bite of white fluff from his shank, and start munching. Eww.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    We are there. Post #1000. Commas are lame.
    Just for good measure, I'll claim reply #1000 as well. Thine PW champ has been crowned.

Nevermind, DA got there first

No PWing going on here.

longest

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Post totals aside, this thread has more dog avatars than any other thread!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Hey, quit barking at us

Onward!

Not to lose steam (and so those silly PPB Huck fighters won't catch up) --

a new topic!

What phrase or common saying really irks you?

For me, it's when someone says: "It's always in the last place you look."

Of course it is! Why would you keep looking, once you found the missing item?

Discuss.

ooh, new possible goal -- have the total number of posts in the thread meet or exceed the highest non-mod poster total post count? (I think that's Throaty right now... hmm, that's a long ways to go.)
    Last edited by DevilAlumna; 02-01-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: oh, wait, Throaty's a mod -- sorry! BB?

Talking Cute, white, fluffy, not tiny

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

a new topic!

Discuss.
    Umm... I was actually serious about the dog thing. The Samoyed you sat may have had a few personality issues. That doesn't typify the breed, does it?

Any suggestions for something similar to a Samoyed?

Woof,
    Lavabe

ooh, new possible goal -- have the total number of posts in the thread meet or exceed the highest non-mod poster total post count? (I think that's Throaty right now... hmm, that's a long ways to go.)
    That will be hard to do if I keep PWing in here.

Wink Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    That will be hard to do if I keep PWing in here.
    ... and elsewhere (see PPB threads).

"I always feel like, somebody's watching me."

Cheers,
    Lavabe

a new topic!

Discuss.
    I saw a letter to Dear Abby when I was in high school asking why you always found something in the last place you look. Abby cordially responded, because once you've found it you stop looking.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I saw a letter to Dear Abby when I was in high school asking why you always found something in the last place you look. Abby cordially responded, because once you've found it you stop looking.
    You could totally ruin that assertion by one time continuing to look even after you found it. Then it's no longer true, and you win!

"My bad." I hate that phrase!

I've mentioned this before, but I hate it when people say, "It is what it is." Also when people overuse such phrases as "more or less," "in a sense," etc. Qualifiers weaken your language and your ideas.

"They are who we thought they were." Instant classic!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    If I get a dog, and it's a big if, I want a small one that doesn't shed. After 13 years of changing diapers, I'm really not into the idea of cleaning up after a dog, so, small dogs = small poops, at least I hope that's true. I've heard Shih Tzu's are great with kids, don't need huge amounts of exercise, and don't shed. Now, if she'll sit on the couch next to me while I knit without messing with my yarn, that would be perfect.

Hmmm, expressions that bug, "Go Heels" is all I can come up with right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    If I get a dog, and it's a big if, I want a small one that doesn't shed. After 13 years of changing diapers, I'm really not into the idea of cleaning up after a dog, so, small dogs = small poops, at least I hope that's true. I've heard Shih Tzu's are great with kids, don't need huge amounts of exercise, and don't shed. Now, if she'll sit on the couch next to me while I knit without messing with my yarn, that would be perfect.

Hmmm, expressions that bug, "Go Heels" is all I can come up with right now.
    Beagles are small, don't shed, and are great with kids. They can exercise or not, happy either way. But they can get fat if you feed them too much and don't exercise (just like us).

The only downside with Beagles is they are hard to train and hard to contain.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Beagles are small, don't shed, and are great with kids. They can exercise or not, happy either way. But they can get fat if you feed them too much and don't exercise (just like us).

Thanks Fish, I think you did miss that part about lying on the couch while I knit. I realize the kind of dog I want might not exist. I love dogs, but I feel about them the way a lot of people feel about babies, cute to cuddle with and make over but hand them back when it's time for any messy stuff. Plus I have no desire to walk them outside at 5am in 10 degree weather. So, I'm probably better off without one. The kids say they will help take care of said dog, but I don't trust them.

Now, if she'll sit on the couch next to me while I knit without messing with my yarn, that would be perfect.
    I've trained my cats not to mess with my yarn while I'm knitting. Though the new one is still in training. The other two will curl up next to me while I knit and not play with the yarn. I think I've even boinked one on the head a time or two with needles. He never flinched, bless his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post

They are the worlds greatest dogs.

Mini-schnauzers and mini-poodles also fit the small dog, no-shed rule. Our mini-schnauzers (we had three - one at a time - over the course of my childhood) were great with us kids, even considering the torment we could lay out.

If you truly want a less-energetic dog, I'd also recommend finding a local dog breed rescue group and consider adopting. Sometimes they get in adult dogs that for some reason can't be kept in their original homes (sick owner, moving owner, etc.) You don't have to deal with the puppy phase; the rescue group usually screens dogs for behavior issues prior to placement, etc. A breed-specific rescue group also usually gets in more pets that have been well-cared for, because people with the dogs know enough to get them to the right places for re-homing.

Reason for this recommendation is that doggy puppy-dom, while cute, can be a terror -- lots of chewing, extra energy, time spent training, etc. It can be fun (I loved it! minus the chewing), but only if you're truly into that sort of thing.