Page 1706 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 70612061606165616961704170517061707170817161756180622062706 ... LastLast
Results 34,101 to 34,120 of 67405
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Could be. There's an Amish Capybara farm not far from here. Foxes always be breaking in, much to the fist-shaking lament of the farmers.
    I love that they still refer to us as the English. We haven't been around long enough for them to be sure we are going to make it as a country. Baller move by the Amish.

Nostalgia was once thought of as an actual affliction and a uniquely Swiss one at that. In fact, the German's had a word for it: Schweizerheimweh. It means Swiss homesickness.

Nostalgia was once thought of as an actual affliction and a uniquely Swiss one at that. In fact, the German's had a word for it: Schweizerheimweh. It means Swiss homesickness.
    In my travels, one of my favorite places to visit is Reading Terminal Market in Philly. Just an absolutely amazing place for food lovers. I love to sit and watch the Amish and Mennonite folks come and unload their wares. In my mind the Amish hate the Mennonites and think they dress like hookers.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Yeah. I was in Reunion arena for that one.
    So was I!

Does the fratricide continue?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Does the fratricide continue?
    Ummmmmmmm...

Ummmmmmmm...

I'll take that as a yes and stay away from there.

Fox in my front yard carrying something dead through the snow. I missed the best pic. It heard my dog barking and trotted right up to our front porch and looked in the window with whatever snow-caked dead thing it had.

Attachment 12455
    Nice picture! If you have enough property to roam on, have you ever followed the foxes back to their den? We've had a den complex behind our home for decades now, various entry points, and in the winter it's easy to (literally) track their comings and goings...(sometimes the den is not occupied for a year or two, then a new squad of foxes moves in)...our dogs love to sniff the den entrances, free entertainment...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'll take that as a yes and stay away from there.
    I am a moron. Always remember that. Except about meat.

In my travels, one of my favorite places to visit is Reading Terminal Market in Philly. Just an absolutely amazing place for food lovers. I love to sit and watch the Amish and Mennonite folks come and unload their wares. In my mind the Amish hate the Mennonites and think they dress like hookers.
    When I was in school there, I'd love going to the market..they had several elderly women there who were said to be the only people in Philly who could cut the somewhat redundant "boneless shad filets." (Shad have so many intricate bones that even the basic filets had bones)...Shad is a real treat if you like fish, as are the roe available in spring...fry 'em up with some prosciutto and capers, big yum on that.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Nice picture! If you have enough property to roam on, have you ever followed the foxes back to their den? We've had a den complex behind our home for decades now, various entry points, and in the winter it's easy to (literally) track their comings and goings...(sometimes the den is not occupied for a year or two, then a new squad of foxes moves in)...our dogs love to sniff the den entrances, free entertainment...
    We have a few acres that back up to a private woods. We have a few woodchuck complexes on the property. Those can get converted but I think the foxes must be back in the woods. We hear their eerie murder love calls a lot.

We have a few acres that back up to a private woods. We have a few woodchuck complexes on the property. Those can get converted but I think the foxes must be back in the woods. We hear their eerie murder love calls a lot.
    that's a scary sound indeed...in the Spring we love when they come out with the young ones...

You are nervous about the SB, huh DinK?
    Most definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Most definitely.
    Pulling for your boys! Good luck! It us kind of nice to watch sports with no rooting interest. I grew up a Cowboys fan in the 70s-mid 90s until their owner drove me away. I loathe Jerry Jones. I decided I would become a Panthers fan...didn't happen. I was unable to forge a relationship despite my efforts. It is actually fun to dispassionately watch every season I find.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    When I was in school there, I'd love going to the market..they had several elderly women there who were said to be the only people in Philly who could cut the somewhat redundant "boneless shad filets." (Shad have so many intricate bones that even the basic filets had bones)...Shad is a real treat if you like fish, as are the roe available in spring...fry 'em up with some prosciutto and capers, big yum on that.
    Not surprisingly, Reading is having a tough time at the moment. We lived out of there last January and have tried ordering food through a couple of our spots for delivery out our way (just baked goods).

Not surprisingly, Reading is having a tough time at the moment. We lived out of there last January and have tried ordering food through a couple of our spots for delivery out our way (just baked goods).
    I was just thinking about this. Thanks for sharing and I hope all those folks are going to be okay.

Since we're talking about the Amish . . .

This has been on my mind since my trip to Ocracoke last November. While on the Springer Point trail, we met a young Amish couple with their baby. On the beach, we saw the whole group. Over a dozen Amish folk, fishing from the shore. Men and women getting soaked. We figured they were probably camping, but my question: How did they get there? Do they allow themselves to drive on a trip? Do they allow horses and buggies on the ferry? I know there is a newer sect of Mennonites who drive two-ton pickups and dress more casually, but I have not heard of Amish who drive. I guess they COULD have been Mennonites, but they were dressed awfully conservatively to be driving. If anyone can offer an explanation, I would love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    This has been on my mind since my trip to Ocracoke last November. While on the Springer Point trail, we met a young Amish couple with their baby. On the beach, we saw the whole group. Over a dozen Amish folk, fishing from the shore. Men and women getting soaked. We figured they were probably camping, but my question: How did they get there? Do they allow themselves to drive on a trip? Do they allow horses and buggies on the ferry? I know there is a newer sect of Mennonites who drive two-ton pickups and dress more casually, but I have not heard of Amish who drive. I guess they COULD have been Mennonites, but they were dressed awfully conservatively to be driving. If anyone can offer an explanation, I would love to hear it.
    Interesting. When my wife and I were here (Ocracoke) in November, there was what appeared to be an Amish family on island as well. They were working on a house (there's lots of construction going on obviously). Almost certainly the same folks.

Not here at the moment, unless they are lying very low. Imt fairly certain I have seen every person who is on the island right now at least twice already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Interesting. When my wife and I were here (Ocracoke) in November, there was what appeared to be an Amish family on island as well. They were working on a house (there's lots of construction going on obviously). Almost certainly the same folks.

Not here at the moment, unless they are lying very low. Imt fairly certain I have seen every person who is on the island right now at least twice already.
    Did you see their horses? I am intrigued as to how they got there.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Did you see their horses? I am intrigued as to how they got there.
    Nope. If they weren't working, I would have happily engaged them in conversation.