Page 1101 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 10160110011051109110991100110111021103111111511201 ... LastLast
Results 22,001 to 22,020 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Trump has not petitioned for certiorari (i.e. asked for an appeal) from the Third Circuit's decision against him. One would think that would be ready to go and have been filed over the holiday weekend if the effort to go to the Supremes was serious.
    I don't think he wants to get in front of the Supremes. Americans, rightly or wrongly, see the Supreme Court as the final arbiter. If Trump brings any of these legally flawed (that's about as generous a way to describe them as possible) lawsuits in front of the High Court, all the folks who follow this stuff agree that the suit will lose "bigly." Much of America, even Trump's most loyal fans, would see that as the end to this effort**. What's more, I would not be surprised to see some or maybe all of the conservatives on the court sign on to a decision that tore apart the arguments and statements of the Trump legal team, much in the way lower court judges have blasted the Trump legal efforts thus far. That kind of dressing down and dismissal might actually sway even more of the die-hards who believe Trump really won.

In short, unless he has a case that has a chance of winning, Trump wants no part of getting in front of the Supreme Court. I doubt you see any of the lawsuits filed thus far appealed to SCOTUS.

-Jason "**-- and, obviously, the end of the fundraising for the legal fight too" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Dude is going to be 75 soon, he just soundly lost the biggest election one could possibly lose, and he could very well have a significant setback (health-related or otherwise) at any time. Seems tenuous at best; definitely doesn’t sound like the profile of a long-term leader of the GOP.

So if not Trump, then who? Who is second in line to the throne? Because that question might demand an answer before you know it.
    Oh I never thought this was rational or a winning strategy. I simply think Republicans have no way out for 20 years or so. Trump and Don Jr are 1 and 1A in the party. No one else registers. McConnell has his fiefdom in the Senate. But 0% control of the party.

Clemmons = Alexander Hamilton? Or, Austin Rivers?
    I'm not gonna miss my shot! Although I may actually have missed. Leaning Hamilton. I know me.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    This is a great history lesson. Does this mean we actually have 3 legitimate parties right now?.
    Or four? If Biden tacks to the middle in an attempt to bring in disaffected anti-Trump Republicans, does he risk losing the progressive wing of the Democratic Party? It's one thing to build a broad coalition to win an election, something else holding that coalition together after winning that election.

Speaking of Georgia, the "plan" is to have the recount finished today. (Or should I say tricount?)

Five weeks until the Senate runoff. Then I can turn my television back on.
    Re-Recount.

diGenova and Krebs

One of Trump's attorney, Joe diGenova, has attacked the former head of election security at DHS, saying he should be drawn and quartered and shot. Really horrible stuff:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/a...s-good-lawyers

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I don't think he wants to get in front of the Supremes. Americans, rightly or wrongly, see the Supreme Court as the final arbiter. If Trump brings any of these legally flawed (that's about as generous a way to describe them as possible) lawsuits in front of the High Court, all the folks who follow this stuff agree that the suit will lose "bigly." Much of America, even Trump's most loyal fans, would see that as the end to this effort**. What's more, I would not be surprised to see some or maybe all of the conservatives on the court sign on to a decision that tore apart the arguments and statements of the Trump legal team, much in the way lower court judges have blasted the Trump legal efforts thus far. That kind of dressing down and dismissal might actually sway even more of the die-hards who believe Trump really won.

In short, unless he has a case that has a chance of winning, Trump wants no part of getting in front of the Supreme Court. I doubt you see any of the lawsuits filed thus far appealed to SCOTUS.

-Jason "**-- and, obviously, the end of the fundraising for the legal fight too" Evans
    Trump also said the other day that he had a great case for the Supreme Court, but that the case would probably never get there. He thinks his chances would be great if they took the case, because he has such great lawyers. Of course, he doesn't understand that it takes just as great a lawyer to put together a viable petition for certiorari as it does to win the case once it gets there. And, of course, there's this delusion about the greatness of his lawyers . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    One of Trump's attorney, Joe diGenova, has attacked the former head of election security at DHS, saying he should be drawn and quartered and shot. Really horrible stuff:

That seems to be a very unacceptable thing to say.

Jason, I think Trump wants to avoid SCOTUS more for the fundraising implications than actual lawsuit implications.

And I maintain Trump has ZERO actual interest in running for President. None. He just wants to fundraise.

This may have already been logged but WI has certified. Believe it was the last of the states in contention to do so. Breather until December 8?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This may have already been logged but WI has certified. Believe it was the last of the states in contention to do so. Breather until December 8?
    I think a new lawsuit was brought against WI for certifying, although AFAIK it is a rehash of that which has already failed.

The goal, I assume, is to tie things up somehow so that one of the last three deadlines has an unclear or controverted result:

1. States certify their elector slates to the Electoral College on the Safe Harbor date (12/8);
    2. The Electoral College meets and votes (12/14); or
    3. Congress certifies the results of the Electoral College vote (1/6/21).

Theoretically, absent judicial intervention, those are the last three chances Trump has to derail the election results as presently certified or expected to be certified.

A good read from Politico on the process from here and Trump's last nonjudicial chances: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...college-441459

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

Aren't US lawyers subject to some sort of ethics regulations? Does the ABA have any sanctions for this sort of behavior?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    That seems to be a very unacceptable thing to say.

Jason, I think Trump wants to avoid SCOTUS more for the fundraising implications than actual lawsuit implications.

And I maintain Trump has ZERO actual interest in running for President. None. He just wants to fundraise.
    And to be showered with attention. He'll never experience a rush like he gets at his rallies in any other setting.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Re-Recount.
    Pat Riley says “Three-count”

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Pat Riley says “Three-count”
    But he trademarked it so you have to pay him to use it

I think a new lawsuit was brought against WI for certifying, although AFAIK it is a rehash of that which has already failed.

The goal, I assume, is to tie things up somehow so that one of the last three deadlines has an unclear or controverted result:

1. States certify their elector slates to the Electoral College on the Safe Harbor date (12/8);

Theoretically, absent judicial intervention, those are the last three chances Trump has to derail the election results as presently certified or expected to be certified.

A good read from Politico on the process from here and Trump's last nonjudicial chances: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...college-441459
    I should have added, legal ways to derail. Trump's Schrödinger lawyer/notlawyer Lin Wood has apparently taken out a large ad, and posted on Twitter, that Trump should declare martial law and order a new election. So, there's that too I guess.

Went for that article but stayed for the one below, which was a reflection from a rural WI independent-turned-democrat on the state of political affairs in rural America. A thoughtful piece.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/12/01/democrats-rural-vote-wisconsin-441458

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Kraken has been released and the astounding ineptitude of it all is mind boggling. Maybe she hired a few of her football player alumni to assist with the writing.

https://thebulwark.com/the-kraken-la...yz7oVKtAYQ6wz4
    Gets even better. Can't make this **** up.

A witness in a lawsuit from allies of President Donald Trump trying to overturn democracy in Michigan said that the vote count in Edison County "are cause for concern and indicate fraud" because President-elect Joe Biden won "more than 100% of the votes."

There's just one problem: There is no Edison County in Michigan, the Detroit Free Press pointed out.

In fact, there is no Edison County in the entire United States of America.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...gkk?li=BBnb7Kz

And we Dukies always thought it was bad that Richard Nixon was a Duke law grad. uNC has trumped us once again with Sidney Powell.

AG Bill Barr told the AP today that neither he nor the Justice Department have seen evidence of widespread voter fraud.

So, expect a retraction or a "you misquoted me" as soon as Trump gets off the phone with him.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    And we Dukies always thought it was bad that Richard Nixon was a Duke law grad. uNC has trumped us once again with Sidney Powell.
    Nice try, but you aren't fooling anyone.

AG Bill Barr told the AP today that neither he nor the Justice Department have seen evidence of widespread voter fraud.

So, expect a retraction or a "you misquoted me" as soon as Trump gets off the phone with him.
    Nah. Think Barr is ready to go golfing. Too late in the game for a retraction.