Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post
    In this story, the role of “Brando” or “Bando” is actually played by long-time sports announcer Kevin Harlan. Whom I think is actually better than Tim Brando.
    Ah, thanks for the correction! Apologies to Harlan.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Did they swap out Kenny Smith for Wally? That is a great trade! Wally does various work with the Knicks and I like him.
    At least Wally watches CBB throughout the year. He's on the CBS Sports Network college show quite a bit.

Perhaps Kenny declined further tournament work. Seems like a Carolina habit.

9F

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    At least Wally watches CBB throughout the year. He's on the CBS Sports Network college show quite a bit.

Perhaps Kenny declined further tournament work. Seems like a Carolina habit.

9F
    Plus Wally is my favorite ever Hurricane...er Redhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I went to high school with someone where his acting in the AT&T March Madness ads were his big break. He went on to SNL for 8 years afterward. I actually think the AT&T ads that year did have some more variety and they also had them in the lead up to the tournament. Getting kids to sit at a table and answer questions is probably a lot cheaper than what they have to pay Barkley, Lee and Jackson.
    Beck Bennett was great in those commercials. He was so deadpan that I was sure he would eventually get the Weekend Update desk once "Saturday Night Live" hired him. Instead he sort of got stuck doing end-of-the-episode sketches with Kyle Mooney. His talent was somewhat wasted there, I thought.

That said, I remember his AT&T ads differently. For months the campaign was about Beck Bennett interacting with children, but they went next level during March Madness by keeping the classroom set, but replacing the children with NBA legends. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's YouTube account (!) has a video of outtakes.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Awful Announcing: Your 2023 NCAA Tournament First Four and First Round announcing schedule

You can click the link to see who covers what game. I'm just going to list this week's announcing teams by location.

FIRST FOUR
    Dayton: Tom McCarthy, Avery Johnson, Jon Rothstein

THURSDAY/SATURDAY
    Birmingham: Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson
    Des Moines: Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson, Allie LaForce
    Orlando: Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner, Stan Van Gundy, Lauren Shehadi
    Sacramento: Brad Nessler, Brendan Haywood, Dana Jacobson

FRIDAY/SUNDAY
    Albany: Spero Dedes, Deb Antonelli, AJ Ross
    Columbus: Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas, Jamie Erdahl
    Denver: Lisa Byington, Steve Smith, Avery Johnson, Andy Katz
    Greensboro: Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Evan Washburn

In past years the site will rank each announcing team after the second round is complete. Their top 4 does not usually match up with the 4 announcing teams that get assigned to call the Regionals.
    Awful Announcing: Rate the 2023 NCAA Tournament announcers

They've put up a poll -- really, a Google Form where you assign each announcing team a letter grade. Unfortunately, they only list the names of the announcers, and not the location or games they were assigned. So...

Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson (Allie LaForce): Des Moines
    Kansas/Howard, Arkansas/Illinois, Kansas/Arkansas; Texas/Colgate, Texas A&M/Penn State, Texas/Penn State

Lisa Byington, Avery Johnson, Steve Smith (Andy Katz): Denver
    Baylor/UCSB, Creighton/NC State, Baylor/Creighton; Gonzaga/Grand Canyon, TCU/Arizona State, Gonzaga/TCU

Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas (Jamie Erdahl): Columbus
    Purdue/FDU, Memphis/Florida Atlantic, FDU/Florida Atlantic; Michigan State/USC, Marquette/Vermont, Michigan State/Marquette

Spero Dedes, Deb Antonelli (AJ Ross): Albany
    Miami/Drake, Indiana/Kent State, Miami/Indiana; St. Mary's/VCU, Connecticut/Iona, St. Mary's/Connecticut

Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel (Evan Washburn): Greensboro
    Kentucky/Providence, Kansas State/Montana State, Kentucky/Kansas State; Iowa State/Pittsburgh, Xavier/Kennesaw State, Pittsburgh/Xavier

Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner, Stan Van Gundy (Lauren Shehadi): Orlando
    Duke/Oral Roberts, Tennessee/Louisiana, Duke/Tennessee; SDSU/Charleston, Virginia/Furman, SDSU/Furman

Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill (Tracy Wolfson): Birmingham
    Alabama/TAMCC, Maryland/West Virginia, Alabama/Maryland; Houston/Northern Kentucky, Iowa/Auburn, Houston/Auburn

Brad Nessler, Brendan Haywood (Dana Jacobson): Sacramento
    Missouri/Utah State, Arizona/Princeton, Missouri/Princeton; Northwestern/Boise State, UCLA/UNC Asheville, Northwestern/UCLA

Voting ends Friday. Grading each team is important. For Brendan Haywood, this may be the closest he will ever get to an official transcript.

Awful Announcing: Rate the 2023 NCAA Tournament announcers

They've put up a poll -- really, a Google Form where you assign each announcing team a letter grade. Unfortunately, they only list the names of the announcers, and not the location or games they were assigned. So...

Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson (Allie LaForce): Des Moines
    Kansas/Howard, Arkansas/Illinois, Kansas/Arkansas; Texas/Colgate, Texas A&M/Penn State, Texas/Penn State

Lisa Byington, Avery Johnson, Steve Smith (Andy Katz): Denver
    Baylor/UCSB, Creighton/NC State, Baylor/Creighton; Gonzaga/Grand Canyon, TCU/Arizona State, Gonzaga/TCU

Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas (Jamie Erdahl): Columbus
    Purdue/FDU, Memphis/Florida Atlantic, FDU/Florida Atlantic; Michigan State/USC, Marquette/Vermont, Michigan State/Marquette

Spero Dedes, Deb Antonelli (AJ Ross): Albany
    Miami/Drake, Indiana/Kent State, Miami/Indiana; St. Mary's/VCU, Connecticut/Iona, St. Mary's/Connecticut

Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel (Evan Washburn): Greensboro
    Kentucky/Providence, Kansas State/Montana State, Kentucky/Kansas State; Iowa State/Pittsburgh, Xavier/Kennesaw State, Pittsburgh/Xavier

Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner, Stan Van Gundy (Lauren Shehadi): Orlando
    Duke/Oral Roberts, Tennessee/Louisiana, Duke/Tennessee; SDSU/Charleston, Virginia/Furman, SDSU/Furman

Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill (Tracy Wolfson): Birmingham
    Alabama/TAMCC, Maryland/West Virginia, Alabama/Maryland; Houston/Northern Kentucky, Iowa/Auburn, Houston/Auburn

Brad Nessler, Brendan Haywood (Dana Jacobson): Sacramento
    Missouri/Utah State, Arizona/Princeton, Missouri/Princeton; Northwestern/Boise State, UCLA/UNC Asheville, Northwestern/UCLA

Voting ends Friday. Grading each team is important. For Brendan Haywood, this may be the closest he will ever get to an official transcript.
    Thanks for the list. I was wondering who Lisa Byington was. I like her as play-by-play.

NCAA: Tip times and announce teams set for NCAA tournament Sweet 16 coverage

Following are the tip times and commentator assignments for Thursday and Friday’s Regional Semifinal games. Game matchups for Saturday’s Regional Finals – beginning at 6 PM, ET on TBS – will be announced on Thursday after the conclusion of the night’s games. Sunday’s Regional Finals – beginning at 2 PM, ET on CBS – will be announced on Friday after the conclusion of the night’s games.
    EAST (New York City): Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson, Allie LaForce
    (3) Kansas State vs. (7) Michigan State, (4) Tennessee vs. (9) Florida Atlantic
    Starts Thursday at 6:30pm ET on TBS

WEST (Las Vegas): Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner, Stan Van Gundy, Lauren Shehadi
    (4) Connecticut vs. (8) Arkansas, (2) UCLA vs. (3) Gonzaga
    Starts Thursday at 7:15pm ET on CBS

SOUTH (Louisville): Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Evan Washburn
    (1) Alabama vs. (5) San Diego State, (6) Creighton vs. (15) Princeton
    Starts Friday at 6:30pm ET on TBS

MIDWEST (Kansas City): Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson
    (1) Houston vs. (5) Miami, (2) Texas vs. (3) Xavier
    Starts Friday at 7:15pm on CBS

This year’s NCAA Men’s Final Four National Semifinals on Saturday, April 1, along with the National Championship on Monday, April 3, will air on CBS. 
    The Final Four announcing team should be obvious. Jim Nantz is a Houston guy (he graduated from UH in 1981 and played varsity golf for the Cougars) and he's retiring.

NCAA: Tip times and announce teams set for NCAA tournament Sweet 16 coverage

EAST (New York City): Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson, Allie LaForce
    (3) Kansas State vs. (7) Michigan State, (4) Tennessee vs. (9) Florida Atlantic
    Starts Thursday at 6:30pm ET on TBS

WEST (Las Vegas): Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner, Stan Van Gundy, Lauren Shehadi
    (4) Connecticut vs. (8) Arkansas, (2) UCLA vs. (3) Gonzaga
    Starts Thursday at 7:15pm ET on CBS

SOUTH (Louisville): Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Evan Washburn
    (1) Alabama vs. (5) San Diego State, (6) Creighton vs. (15) Princeton
    Starts Friday at 6:30pm ET on TBS

MIDWEST (Kansas City): Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson
    (1) Houston vs. (5) Miami, (2) Texas vs. (3) Xavier
    Starts Friday at 7:15pm on CBS

The Final Four announcing team should be obvious. Jim Nantz is a Houston guy (he graduated from UH in 1981 and played varsity golf for the Cougars) and he's retiring.
    So we don’t have to listen to the vapid and thoroughly grating Debbie Antonelli anymore for at least 8 months? Proof there is a God …

But we still need Gus ….

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    So we don’t have to listen to the vapid and thoroughly grating Debbie Antonelli anymore for at least 8 months? Proof there is a God …

But we still need Gus ….
    The games should be better if for nothing else we don't hear Antonelli, Bilas, and Corey Alexander. No reason to use the mute button.

GoDuke!

Great footage of Kevin Harlan/Stan Van and Bonner calling the end of Virginia/Furman
    https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/...551954434?s=20

https://youtu.be/MMPKSZjGB4E

Around the 5 minute mark Bilas calls out the refs in the Tennessee Duke game for letting it be a rugby match. He is such a homer.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    https://youtu.be/MMPKSZjGB4E

Around the 5 minute mark Bilas calls out the refs in the Tennessee Duke game for letting it be a rugby match. He is such a homer.
    I would have been very interested to see how he would have called that game live if it was on ESPN. I wouldn't him want to take a stance that Duke was getting screwed over. Luckily, I don't think I ever have to worry about him saying anything like that. I think a lot of DBR people that have taken that stance sound like Carolina fans after a loss to Duke. Greenberg seemed to have the best take, saying it was a horribly officiated game, but within that horrible officiating, Tennessee won fair and square. Saying that if things were called tighter, Duke would have won is a bunch of coulda, woulda, shoulda. Yeah, if we shot 100% from 3, we would have won too. Who cares?

Anyway, I wonder how far he would have gone in-game to critique the officiating. ESPN showed a replace of Bacot shoving his forearm into Lively's throat during a game this year, and Bilas was completely silent, so I can't picture Bilas saying during the game that the officials are doing anything wrong. I see him taking more of an analytical approach like he did after the game and saying "when a flagrant foul wasn't called here, that set the tone for how the game would be called." I respect that approach entirely. It's not really his job to critique the officials. It is his job to explain to the viewers how the officiating decisions impact the game. The part I have a problem with is that he seems very willing to critique the officiating when it goes in Duke's favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Great footage of Kevin Harlan/Stan Van and Bonner calling the end of Virginia/Furman
    That's great, thanks for posting!

Van Gundy looks absolutely stunned. Like he just saw a ghost or something.

Harlan is definitely... excited

9F

9F
    I love the hands out there, to signal to his co-hosts to just let the crowd noise carry the moment. Great awareness.

9F
    So far, the play of the NCAA Tournament
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I feel sorry for Dan Bonner after seeing that. As a Virginia player and grad he had to be numb.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

This thread doesn't cover much radio announcing, so here you go.

Sporting News: How FAU radio narrowly avoided disaster after losing power prior to final call of Elite Eight win vs. Kansas State

Florida Atlantic secured a historic victory over Kansas State on Saturday, with the Owls earning the program's first trip to the Final Four in the process. And the team's radio announcer nearly missed it.

Ken LaVicka, who was calling the game on the FAU Radio Network, relayed afterward how he narrowly averted disaster in the waning moments to salvage the final call.
    Awful Announcing: FAU announcer shares how he almost lost Final Four call due to power outage

Following the game, LaVicka spoke with Andy Katz and described what happened.

“All of the ethernet along this front row here at Madison Square Garden went out with 18.6 seconds left. And we actually got saved by a Kansas State layup and a timeout called by Jerome Tang. That gave me time to scramble. And you saw me, Andy. It was getting a little rough. A life’s dream is crumbling before me. I grabbed from that second table an ethernet cord, plug it into my broadcast equipment. One of my teammates from ESPN West Palm in West Palm Beach sitting next to me, held the comrex unit while I called the final 15 seconds of the game and the day was saved.”
    Get this man an assistant! He's broadcasting the Final Four next week!

I really, really like Stan Van Gundy as an announcer. Sees and communicates the game from a coach’s perspective and does so without shtick or hyperbole but still he’s loose and entertaining. Has a pretty good rapport with Bonner and Harlan. Overall, I like this group more than the Nantz-Hill-Raf group. Feels more organic and less mechanical especially Nantz and Grant. Those guys are fine, but I think SVG is a star.

SVG doesn't say much but makes pithy observations, something every other color commentator should aspire to do

Spanarkel is the best.