Willis Reed - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    And talent that roared!

The first time I saw Elton Brand his freshman year in Cameron, I said he reminded me of Willis Reed. I was right!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And talent that roared!

The first time I saw Elton Brand his freshman year in Cameron, I said he reminded me of Willis Reed. I was right!
    I'm with you -- something about their arms! Those Knicks, plus some Dr J, was when I paid most attention to the NBA.

That 1969-70 Knicks team was special... Reed, Frazier, Bradley, DeBusschere, Russell, Barnett...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    That 1969-70 Knicks team was special... Reed, Frazier, Bradley, DeBusschere, Russell, Barnett...
    Seriously. Awesome group of players.

The author of one of the great sports moments of all time...

"Wait, I think we see Willis..."

Attachment 15561

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Knicks.jpg

We "younger" Knicks fans have been chasing these ghosts ever since.

The last tie is the joy of listening to Clyde do color for most Knicks games every year. I hope he'll be on the broadcast tonight, hearing him talk about Willis always puts a lump in my throat. He revered him and was desperate to not let him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The author of one of the great sports moments of all time...

"Wait, I think we see Willis..."

Attachment 15561

Knicks.jpg

We "younger" Knicks fans have been chasing these ghosts ever since.

The last tie is the joy of listening to Clyde do color for most Knicks games every year. I hope he'll be on the broadcast tonight, hearing him talk about Willis always puts a lump in my throat. He revered him and was desperate to not let him down.
    Yes - the game tonight is written in ink on my calendar - I really hope Clyde is doing it. I love listening to him do Knicks games and he is not getting any younger. My son was studying vocabulary words while I was watching the game on Monday and I was joking that he could have just listened to some of the words Clyde uses. Those not used to Clyde's style (both in terms of broadcasting and dress) might find him a bit ridiculous but as a voice of the hometown network, he is great.

But more to the point, as you noted, he was very close to Willis and I'm eager to hear what he has to say. Those teams were shortly before I was born but their legend lives on here in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Yes - the game tonight is written in ink on my calendar - I really hope Clyde is doing it. I love listening to him do Knicks games and he is not getting any younger. My son was studying vocabulary words while I was watching the game on Monday and I was joking that he could have just listened to some of the words Clyde uses. Those not used to Clyde's style (both in terms of broadcasting and dress) might find him a bit ridiculous but as a voice of the hometown network, he is great.

But more to the point, as you noted, he was very close to Willis and I'm eager to hear what he has to say. Those teams were shortly before I was born but their legend lives on here in NY.
    You and Billy captured this NYer's thoughts completely. (I posted on the thread in the "off topic" board.)

The five in Billy's picture bring back great memories. Barnett (with that crazy leg kick jumper), Clyde, the Senator, DD (the last piece to the puzzle) and of course the Captain. A few years later we added Jerry Lucas and the Pearl, for number 2. (Remember how folks were saying that Frazier and Monroe (10 and 15) couldn't play together?)

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    You and Billy captured this NYer's thoughts completely. (I posted on the thread in the "off topic" board.)

The five in Billy's picture bring back great memories. Barnett (with that crazy leg kick jumper), Clyde, the Senator, DD (the last piece to the puzzle) and of course the Captain. A few years later we added Jerry Lucas and the Pearl, for number 2. (Remember how folks were saying that Frazier and Monroe (10 and 15) couldn't play together?)
    I went to the Garden several times to watch the Knicks (and Rangers) in 1968 - 1970 (14 to 16 years old). Took the LIRR in from Great Neck with my next door neighbor (a year younger than me but 6” taller). Parents let kids do that back then. Last time would have been Thanksgiving weekend in 1970. Knicks and Rangers on Saturday and the the Jets game on Sunday! 3 winners and a great visit “home” after we had moved to Ft. Lauderdale the previous August!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I went to the Garden several times to watch the Knicks (and Rangers) in 1968 - 1970 (14 to 16 years old). Took the LIRR in from Great Neck with my next door neighbor (a year younger than me but 6” taller). Parents let kids do that back then. Last time would have been Thanksgiving weekend in 1970. Knicks and Rangers on Saturday and the the Jets game on Sunday! 3 winners and a great visit “home” after we had moved to Ft. Lauderdale the previous August!
    That was an amazing year for New York sports with the Knicks, Mets and Jets all winning championships!

Some great Clyde quotes from the Athletic ($) profile of Willis from when he was named to the NBA 75th Anniversary team a few years back:

“The three guys considered to be the greatest Knicks of all time: myself, Willis and Patrick Ewing. If Willis Reed did not have the injuries that he had, it would not be, ‘Who’s the greatest Knick of all time?' I’m wearing two championship rings now. I would be wearing more if Willis Reed could have remained healthy. There would be no doubt about who’s the greatest Knick of all time. The way that this man played the game, the respect that he had, the leadership, we’ve never had another leader like Willis Reed. I always say he’s the greatest Knick of all time, because I learned from Willis Reed.”

“He was the backbone of the team. He led by example. He did it on the court. He worked diligently in practice. He always gave 110 percent. He would never let you get down. It’s like reminiscing about the good old days and the people that made you. You forget. Like Bob Marley said, ‘You can’t forget your past.’ This is my past before I was ‘Clyde.’ I owe a lot to that man.”

“I was a captain of the Knicks. But I wasn’t The Captain like Willis. Everybody didn’t follow me. Everybody didn’t respect me. We’ve had a lot of captains of the Knicks. But he is The Captain, still. After all these years, 50 years, he’s still The Captain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Some great Clyde quotes from the Athletic ($) profile of Willis from when he was named to the NBA 75th Anniversary team a few years back:

“The three guys considered to be the greatest Knicks of all time: myself, Willis and Patrick Ewing. If Willis Reed did not have the injuries that he had, it would not be, ‘Who’s the greatest Knick of all time?' I’m wearing two championship rings now. I would be wearing more if Willis Reed could have remained healthy. There would be no doubt about who’s the greatest Knick of all time. The way that this man played the game, the respect that he had, the leadership, we’ve never had another leader like Willis Reed. I always say he’s the greatest Knick of all time, because I learned from Willis Reed.”

“He was the backbone of the team. He led by example. He did it on the court. He worked diligently in practice. He always gave 110 percent. He would never let you get down. It’s like reminiscing about the good old days and the people that made you. You forget. Like Bob Marley said, ‘You can’t forget your past.’ This is my past before I was ‘Clyde.’ I owe a lot to that man.”

“I was a captain of the Knicks. But I wasn’t The Captain like Willis. Everybody didn’t follow me. Everybody didn’t respect me. We’ve had a lot of captains of the Knicks. But he is The Captain, still. After all these years, 50 years, he’s still The Captain.”
    Clyde's a mensch. I will try to see tonight's game just for the commentary on Willis. I haven't looked but eventually (tonight?) MSG will have to do a tribute to the Captain.

Knicks at Heat

Clyde holding back tears in the intro segment. The Heat honoring Willis with a moment of silence.

7847A67B-0958-4B74-AE5B-C8D2AA4818DB.jpg