Page 27 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I doubt the academic requirements have changed much. But it is possible that the amount of time taken up by the basketball program has increased.
    If anything, I'd guess that the amount of time taken up by the basketball program has decreased. The NCAA has added more restrictions on the amount of time teams can take of their players. My guess is it's at most roughly the same bball workload.

Anyway - I am absolutely not intending to insinuate anything at all about Roach's academic profile. I just haven't heard a peep about anything on the academics of any of our players (or other players) in roughly that same 20 year span.
    Oh I hope I didn't come off as suggesting you were insinuating anything about Roach. Your posts definitely didn't give that vibe so I do hope I didn't give you the vibe that I thought otherwise.

Savarino graduated in 3 years. Nobody talked about it, perhaps because he was not a recruited player. But clearly it can be done. Honestly the only person for whom we got forewarning about the 3-year plan was Jason/Jay Williams. I don't know if anyone other bball players besides Williams and Savarino have graduated from Duke in 3 years.

All three were 20 years ago.
    I forgot to put in FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    First article I've seen highlighting Duke's freshman decisions from Adam Finkelstein.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...ect-207007233/

High level, thinks Lively/Whitehead are gone, Mitchell comes back, Flip tests waters, and Proctor borderline, but says Proctor has chance to be lottery pick next year. Also says that Proctor, had he chose to stay in 2024 class, may have ended up as the #1 ranked player in the class.
    Proctor could be the long lost Australian Jones brother. Taller and a cooler accent, but similar in controlled pace, excellent assist-to-turnover potential, capable but not fantastic 3-point shooter, outstanding free throw shooter, mostly stoic and calm, clutch, more Tre level defender. I think after his sophomore year he could move way up the draft board.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    If anything, I'd guess that the amount of time taken up by the basketball program has decreased. The NCAA has added more restrictions on the amount of time teams can take of their players. My guess is it's at most roughly the same bball workload.
    I don't know the details but I believe the team has several academic coordinators who keep track of class schedules, assignments and overall progress. I'm not implying they do any of the work for the players, but they do make sure that they stay on course, especially when the team travels and they need to get class notes/recordings and administer exams. The players just need to allot the requisite time it takes to read, watch and complete homework assignments/exams. The average student athlete should be able to keep up with it if they choose to do so. In my college years, as a 4-year student-athlete, I never had any of that. I'm glad that Duke does, which takes some of the pressure off and allows them to dedicate more energy to the basketball program.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Oh I hope I didn't come off as suggesting you were insinuating anything about Roach. Your posts definitely didn't give that vibe so I do hope I didn't give you the vibe that I thought otherwise.

Savarino graduated in 3 years. Nobody talked about it, perhaps because he was not a recruited player. But clearly it can be done. Honestly the only person for whom we got forewarning about the 3-year plan was Jason/Jay Williams. I don't know if anyone other bball players besides Williams and Savarino have graduated from Duke in 3 years.
    Didn't Gminski?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The basketball players, I thought, are attending summer sessions every year. JWill walked with class; Dunleavy graduated a couple of years later; Boozer just finished. All three played three years.
    But to the Mtn man's point, of those 3 only JWill had actually finished his degree in 3 years. I suspect that Dunleavy and Boozer were each at least 3 credits shy of graduation (you could walk if you were within 2 credits of graduating), so at least a semester away. Boozer didn't finish his degree until after he retired from the NBA. I don't know if Dunleavy did (never saw any info on him). But neither was on track to finish their degree in 3 years.

So far, I think we know of just 2 players who graduated in 3 years: Williams and Savarino. So I don't know if it's reasonable to assume that Roach is on track to do so. It's possible, but it would be unusual in at least the last 20 years at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Didn't Gminski?
    Gminski graduated high school early, but he played 4 years at Duke and graduated after his 4th year.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Kyle would benefit most from increasing his vertical leap and explosiveness around the rim. He got his shot blocked too often by smaller players, which would only get worse at the next level.

Additionally, his fumblitis turnovers when he dribbles and spins into traffic should get corrected with more discipline and more focus on his handle.

He's got a good outside shot. More reps will improve that.

But he's seen as a stretch 4 in a 5's body, but without the wingspan and leaping ability to be a 5. So he's a bit of a tweener. His perimeter D and lateral quickness held up this year. But he needs to improve his vertical, second jump and general explosiveness.
    One can improve a lot of things, but I’m wondering how possible it is to improve vertical explosiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I don't know the details but I believe the team has several academic coordinators who keep track of class schedules, assignments and overall progress. I'm not implying they do any of the work for the players, but they do make sure that they stay on course, especially when the team travels and they need to get class notes/recordings and administer exams. The players just need to allot the requisite time it takes to read, watch and complete homework assignments/exams. The average student athlete should be able to keep up with it if they choose to do so. In my college years, as a 4-year student-athlete, I never had any of that. I'm glad that Duke does, which takes some of the pressure off and allows them to dedicate more energy to the basketball program.
    I agree. But to date, we've had just two players that I'm aware of who graduated in 3 years. Which is the point Mtn Devil is making: it's pretty rare that a player has graduated in 3 years (one of whom was a walk-on who was also the grandson of the coach, so a pretty unique case), so it's probably not reasonable to assume that any player is on track to graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    One can improve a lot of things, but I’m wondering how possible it is to improve vertical explosiveness.
    Gotta be the shoes Marty

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I think most of it is natural, but small improvements can be made in terms of strength and timing. For basketball, most of it can be achieved in basketball activities (practice and games) but moderate weight training is also helpful. I recall that Zion was not encouraged to do much weight training at Duke since he already had incredible strength and quickness. Some players are better at 1-leg leaps and some with 2-legs. The great leapers are good at both.

I'm guessing Whitehead, Lively, Flip and Mitchell are all gone.

I'm hoping Proctor returns along with Roach. My heart tells me Roach comes back but my head tells me he will go pro, even if its not the NBA.

Genuinely curious... why do more people see Lively leaving than Flip? Even after Lively got healthy, he wasn't much of a scorer, and it isn't like the NBA fully appreciates defense. All things considered, I'd think Flip would be closer to being NBA ready than Lively. I personally think both could stay and develop a bit further before departing, and would help their stock rise, but that's not my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Proctor could be the long lost Australian Jones brother. Taller and a cooler accent, but similar in controlled pace, excellent assist-to-turnover potential, capable but not fantastic 3-point shooter, outstanding free throw shooter, mostly stoic and calm, clutch, more Tre level defender. I think after his sophomore year he could move way up the draft board.
    I see a lot of similarities to Austin Rivers - not an explosive athlete but good length for a guard. Not a pure shooter but a crafty scorer with a great mid range game and able to hit from tough angles going to the hoop. I think Proctor is a better point guard and has potential to be better overall.

I doubt the academic requirements have changed much. But it is possible that the amount of time taken up by the basketball program has increased.

Anyway - I am absolutely not intending to insinuate anything at all about Roach's academic profile. I just haven't heard a peep about anything on the academics of any of our players (or other players) in roughly that same 20 year span.
    I had a kid recently graduate in 3.25 years (1 course senior year), so I know the rules pretty well:

*Course Credits required have increased from 32 to 34
    *AP Credits are limited to 2, with only scores of 4 and 5 counting
    *If you intend to graduate 1 semester early, AP credits can increase to 4. 2 semesters early, 8
    *Most Duke students who are not engineers or pre-med can graduate in 3 years

But, most Duke students neither want nor plan to graduate early. Mine was trying to register for another semester when "You have completed all the requirements for graduation" popped up (Thank you Duke Registrar!!). Basketball players MAY not come in with usable AP credits, but with 4 summers, excellent advising, registration preferences and significant monetary incentives, it is quite possible.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I see a lot of similarities to Austin Rivers - not an explosive athlete but good length for a guard. Not a pure shooter but a crafty scorer with a great mid range game and able to hit from tough angles going to the hoop. I think Proctor is a better point guard and has potential to be better overall.
    Proctor reminds me of Tyrese Maxey of Kentucky/Sixers who is an explosive scorer on breaks and has developed a very good mid-range and long-range game. Maxey is more animated but has a similar cool demeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Devil View Post
    I had a kid recently graduate in 3.25 years (1 course senior year), so I know the rules pretty well:

*Course Credits required have increased from 32 to 34
    *AP Credits are limited to 2, with only scores of 4 and 5 counting
    *If you intend to graduate 1 semester early, AP credits can increase to 4. 2 semesters early, 8
    *Most Duke students who are not engineers or pre-med can graduate in 3 years

But, most Duke students neither want nor plan to graduate early. Mine was trying to register for another semester when "You have completed all the requirements for graduation" popped up (Thank you Duke Registrar!!). Basketball players MAY not come in with usable AP credits, but with 4 summers, excellent advising, registration preferences and significant monetary incentives, it is quite possible.
    There exists ANOTHER Mountain Devil??!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    There exists ANOTHER Mountain Devil??!
    What? You thought there was only one Bigfoot?

Quote Originally Posted by g4orce View Post
    Genuinely curious... why do more people see Lively leaving than Flip? Even after Lively got healthy, he wasn't much of a scorer, and it isn't like the NBA fully appreciates defense. All things considered, I'd think Flip would be closer to being NBA ready than Lively. I personally think both could stay and develop a bit further before departing, and would help their stock rise, but that's not my decision.
    For me it’s a matter of who has an NBA skill on day 1. Lively’s defense is already at an NBA level, but I don’t think Flip’s offensive skills are there yet. He doesn’t have great post moves and his 3 point percentage isn’t great. His ball handling needs to get better if he’s going to be a threat to drive. He obviously has tons of potential but still has some work to do before he’s a meaningful contributor IMO. Lively can make a difference for you right away.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    What? You thought there was only one Bigfoot?
    I must confess that I did; clearly, I was mistaken. 😮