Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    The question is why Holtmann would leave OSU for ND.
    Well, now with NIL money coaches can finally get paid.

Oh wait...

Providence coach talking to Georgetown. Is that a step up at this point?

https://es.pn/3ZxzrVC

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post

Also hearing Keatts may considered for Georgetown position.

Maybe in location? Georgetown has more history but it seems like a hard place to recruit.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Also hearing Keatts may considered for Georgetown position.
    That might be a blessing for State. I have never had the feeling that he's taking them to the next level.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That might be a blessing for State. I have never had the feeling that he's taking them to the next level.
    I mean they've gotten to the Sweet 16 three times since Jimmy V. Not sure who is going to get them to the next level.

Mike Brey expected to be named head coach at USF

https://usf.rivals.com/news/sources-...sketball-coach

Not what I expected. Then again, moving to Tampa from northern Indiana is very common for men his age.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

Not what I expected. Then again, moving to Tampa from northern Indiana is very common for men his age.
    I like this move for Mr. Brey.

A friend who is a huge Big East fan suggested this to me a week ago and I found it hard to believe, but clearly there is some basis for this rumor. Cooley grew up in Providence and has spent most of his life in RI/Mass. And this is a move within the conference, which makes it more interesting. My friend thought that Georgetown is more committed to basketball/spending on NIL than Providence. Also my friend said (not confirmed) that Cooley's daughter went to Georgetown and he has a place in DC, so there are some ties. I think he is also only about 53 - I thought he was much older.

USF's official colors are green and gold, which seems on brand for Mike Brey. But hold on a second, says an ESPN College GameDay (football) insider:

Pete Thamel @PeteThamel

Just spoke to USF AD Michael Kelly. He said former Notre Dame coach Mike Brey is a candidate and has interviewed for the USF basketball job, but there’s only been discussions. There’s been no offer and nothing has been formalized.

10:58 AM · Mar 20, 2023

Pete Thamel @PeteThamel

Here's the latest on Ed Cooley to Georgetown, with a deal expected to come together in the near future. W/@jeffborzello

(ESPN: Sources: Georgetown expected to hire Providence's Ed Cooley)

10:44 AM · Mar 20, 2023

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Good to hear this. Best wishes in his fresh start. (If it happens)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Good to hear this. Best wishes in his fresh start. (If it happens)
    Easier admissions and probably an easier path to the NCAA tournament even with very limited at large opportunity. Possibly more NIL support? That’s always the unknown these days.

Easier admissions and probably an easier path to the NCAA tournament even with very limited at large opportunity. Possibly more NIL support? That’s always the unknown these days.
    Not without being a Power 5, and the AAC is about to become less "powerful". Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF are bolting to the Big 12 come July. No big name schools are filling those spots, but it will be a 14 school conference.
    So whoever is coaching them, they'll likely have to be in the top three to make the dance, or win their tournament.

All the best to Mike Brey.

Not without being a Power 5, and the AAC is about to become less "powerful". Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF are bolting to the Big 12 come July. No big name schools are filling those spots, but it will be a 14 school conference.
    So whoever is coaching them, they'll likely have to be in the top three to make the dance, or win their tournament.
    But is finishing in the top 3 easier or more difficult than qualifying in the ACC? I guess we’ll see. Regardless it seems that he decided to walk before they got made him run at ND. Apologies to Keef.

But is finishing in the top 3 easier or more difficult than qualifying in the ACC? I guess we’ll see. Regardless it seems that he decided to walk before they got made him run at ND. Apologies to Keef.
    The ACC gets in at least 5, and that's on a bad year like this year. The AAC sent only two this year, and one of those was Houston, who won't be in the conference next season, and the other was tourney winner Memphis. Tulane came in third in the conference standings, and stayed home. So being "top three" is truly a stretch.
    Still, Brey is a proven coach, so wherever he lands, he's got a better than average chance of having a post-season.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Here's the latest on Ed Cooley to Georgetown, with a deal expected to come together in the near future. W/@jeffborzello

(ESPN: Sources: Georgetown expected to hire Providence's Ed Cooley)

10:44 AM · Mar 20, 2023
    It's final.
    Now Providence is looking for a new HC.
    Ed Cooley has accepted Georgetown's offer to be its next head coach, sources told ESPN.

Providence announced Monday it will begin a search for a new head coach following Cooley's departure.

With Iona job now available wonder if they go talk to Jim Boeheim n see if he’s interested in being their coach?

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    With Iona job now available wonder if they go talk to Jim Boeheim n see if he’s interested in being their coach?
    Would not surprise me in the least if Boeheim sought out a mid major (not speaking specifically about Iona), where he could pick up an easy 20-30 wins a year in his quest to catch K.