Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    GT fires Pastner

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    GT fires Pastner
    He seemed to be reading the writing on the wall lately…Tech admittedly had a decently strong second half to this season (at least in comparison to their lackluster first half), but to hear him tell it on Atlanta radio of late, they’d morphed into the ‘96 Bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Duke's sister school in NY, St. John's, doesn't technically have an opening yet, but it sounds like there's some buzz building for Pitino there: https://nypost.com/2023/03/09/rick-p...rce=NYPTwitter

If he wins there - and if he gets the job, he will win there - he'll wake the sleeping giant and get more fawning NY media coverage than anyone this side of whichever coach gets the Knicks their next title in the year 2934. The Post will start covering them home and away again and they'll play most of their home games at MSG. He will make them an "it" team and be an "it" coach again. He likes playing fast and loose at Iona, which has never had any scruples, and giving a middle finger to the NCAA. But he can't handle being an afterthought. He'll be back on center stage at least until the next scandal, but no one will care when that happens because St. John's will have finally played on Friday at the Big East tournament and likely won a few NCAA games at long last.

I'm a little surprised this might be happening with or without Lou's blessing. But it's one thing to turn away Tim Cluess because he quit on Lou in the 80s, or to cut out Calipari because he once told a recruit Lou was dying (just a rumor, but it definitely sounds like something Cal would do). Maybe at nearly a century, Lou is willing to sign off on Pitino. But if you're St. John's, you have to do it even if he's not.
    Pitino will turn 71 before the start of next season.

Does he really want a rebuild project at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Pitino will turn 71 before the start of next season.

Does he really want a rebuild project at this point?
    With the portal and NIL, it can be done immediately. It's not a project.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    Duke's sister school in NY, St. John's, doesn't technically have an opening yet, but it sounds like there's some buzz building for Pitino there: https://nypost.com/2023/03/09/rick-p...rce=NYPTwitter

If he wins there - and if he gets the job, he will win there - he'll wake the sleeping giant and get more fawning NY media coverage than anyone this side of whichever coach gets the Knicks their next title in the year 2934. The Post will start covering them home and away again and they'll play most of their home games at MSG. He will make them an "it" team and be an "it" coach again. He likes playing fast and loose at Iona, which has never had any scruples, and giving a middle finger to the NCAA. But he can't handle being an afterthought. He'll be back on center stage at least until the next scandal, but no one will care when that happens because St. John's will have finally played on Friday at the Big East tournament and likely won a few NCAA games at long last.

I'm a little surprised this might be happening with or without Lou's blessing. But it's one thing to turn away Tim Cluess because he quit on Lou in the 80s, or to cut out Calipari because he once told a recruit Lou was dying (just a rumor, but it definitely sounds like something Cal would do). Maybe at nearly a century, Lou is willing to sign off on Pitino. But if you're St. John's, you have to do it even if he's not.
    Amen. Pitino back in the Garden would be EPIC. As long as this dude is healthy, he'll be on a sideline. He isn't interested in doing anything else, and he may be the best ever to do it. I am not talking about the best at running a program, I am talking about putting a team on the court with a plan to beat your team, and the in-game implementation of that plan and the necessary adjustments as the game moves on...and doing so at the level in which national championships are won, not some backwater. Who is better?

Jon the only Jewish head men’s basketball coach in the ACC now?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    No. Pearl and Goldin are 2 right off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    …[Pitino] may be the best ever to do it. I am not talking about the best at running a program, I am talking about putting a team on the court with a plan to beat your team, and the in-game implementation of that plan and the necessary adjustments as the game moves on...
    …at least as long as the adjustments don’t require guarding the inbound pass…

GT fires Pastner
    When you can buy tickets on gameday to a Duke game, you need to make a call to U-Haul or PODS. GT is going to have to hit lightning in a bottle as they will hire on the cheap. They just spent a ton to fire Collins.

How wild is it that 3 teams have parted ways with their HC and none of them are the team that went 4-28?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Amen. Pitino back in the Garden would be EPIC. As long as this dude is healthy, he'll be on a sideline. He isn't interested in doing anything else, and he may be the best ever to do it. I am not talking about the best at running a program, I am talking about putting a team on the court with a plan to beat your team, and the in-game implementation of that plan and the necessary adjustments as the game moves on...and doing so at the level in which national championships are won, not some backwater. Who is better?
    I ain't gonna argue with you. His track record is darn impressive. Sure, his age may mean that you only get him for 5 years or so, but those 5 years would be pretty good, I bet. If you are a program that just wants to get back to being a little bit relevant, he's a good hire for sure.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    No. Pearl and Goldin are 2 right off the top of my head.
    CD said ACC. Pearl and Golden are SEC.

Jon is also likely the only ACC men's basketball coach who also has Israeli citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    How wild is it that 3 teams have parted ways with their HC and none of them are the team that went 4-28?
    Well, he is in his first year. He was terrible this year, no doubt, but you can't give up on him that fast. If nothing else, there is a serious financial cost to doing so.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, he is in his first year. He was terrible this year, no doubt, but you can't give up on him that fast. If nothing else, there is a serious financial cost to doing so.
    Louisville was also a complete trainwreck when Kenny Payne came in. They are going to have to give him time.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Louisville was also a complete trainwreck when Kenny Payne came in. They are going to have to give him time.
    I feel sorry for Nolan Smith.

GT fires Pastner
    I think he lost the team when he insisted on coaching in this, when nobody else was:

https://twitter.com/rushthecourt/sta...26777384128513

Also, being below .500 for his GT career with one NCAAT appearance just didn't cut it. With the talent that comes out of Atlanta, that program should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post

Also, being below .500 for his GT career with one NCAAT appearance just didn't cut it. With the talent that comes out of Atlanta, that program should be better.
    When was the last time it actually was, though? Hewitt mixed a few good years in there with a fair number of mediocre ones. Pastner won a ACCT in a screwy year. They haven’t been consistently good since Cremins though - and he lost the plot his last few years. GT is approaching NC State levels of “none of the current players were alive to remember when they were a power”.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    When was the last time it actually was, though? Hewitt mixed a few good years in there with a fair number of mediocre ones. Pastner won a ACCT in a screwy year. They haven’t been consistently good since Cremins though - and he lost the plot his last few years. GT is approaching NC State levels of “none of the current players were alive to remember when they were a power”.
    Huh, the Pack last won the ACC BBall tourney in 1989 and ACC football in 1987. You mean none of the current Pack players are 34+?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Huh, the Pack last won the ACC BBall tourney in 1989 and ACC football in 1987. You mean none of the current Pack players are 34+?
    Have questions about Burns - but no.

I can’t believe schools are considering Petino and Beard, world class jerks.