Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Alabama star Brandon Miller invovled in murder investigation

Whoa... this is gonna blow up!

Brandon Miller, a potential first team All-American and the best player on #1 ranked Alabama apparently provided the gun used in a murder.

https://www.al.com/news/2023/02/dari...source=twitter

Alabama’s freshman basketball standout Brandon Miller brought the gun used on the Tuscaloosa strip killing of a woman that led to capital murder charges for his now former teammate Darius Miles and 20-year-old Michael “Buzz” Davis, according to law enforcement testimony today.

Miles contacted Miller and asked him to bring his gun to where they were, according to police.

When Miller got to the scene, Miles told Davis, “The heat is in the hat.” Det. Branden Culpepper said that meant a gun was present.

Miles added, “There’s one in the head.” That, Culpepper said, meant a round was in the chamber.
    Meanwhile, Nate Oats thinks this is no big deal.

Alabama coach Nate Oats said Tuesday that Miller is “not in any trouble” as a result of his alleged involvement.

“We knew about that. Can’t control everything everybody does outside of practice. Nobody knew that was going to happen. College kids are out, Brandon hasn’t been in any type of trouble nor is he in any type of trouble in this case. Wrong spot at the wrong time,” Oats said.
    "Bring a gun" isn't an invitation for trouble!?!? Whew...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

^I’ve been trying to respond but that whole story and coach’s reaction has me speechless…
    Last edited by AGDukesky; 02-21-2023 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Brandon Miller, a potential first team All-American and the best player on #1 ranked Alabama apparently provided the gun used in a murder.

How is this not even a story on ESPN yet?!?!

[QUOTE=bshrader;1569114]How is this not even a story on

[QUOTE=ChrisP;1569115]
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    How is this not even a story on

I started to post about this earlier, but figured it was such a big story that surely, someone else that already beat me to the punch and I had just missed it up thread. Frankly, I am completely astounded at the coaches' blasé attitude about this situation.

Wow

Amazing, especially Oats's reaction.

Of course, as Groucho told us, in Alabama the Tuscaloosa.

Maybe it is just me, but if someone says, "I need you to come over here and bring your gun," the smart response is, "Nope."

If Nate Oats had a brain, he would be talking about "internal discipline" and "teaching Brandon important lessons he will need for the rest of his life" and stuff that at least makes it sound like Miller has faced some sort of punishment and learned some sort of lesson. "Wrong place, wrong time" is just the lamest response possible and a great way for Oats to blow this thing up into an even bigger story.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Maybe it is just me, but if someone says, "I need you to come over here and bring your gun," the smart response is, "Nope."

If Nate Oats had a brain, he would be talking about "internal discipline" and "teaching Brandon important lessons he will need for the rest of his life" and stuff that at least makes it sound like Miller has faced some sort of punishment and learned some sort of lesson. "Wrong place, wrong time" is just the lamest response possible and a great way for Oats to blow this thing up into an even bigger story.
    I dont know Alabama law, but I'm wondering if your firearm is used in the commission of a felony, is that a crime in the state of Alabama?

I cannot imagine this story playing out in a way that doesn't make Oats look really, really bad (cuz his response 100% stinks!)

As I recall, Miles, who was charged with murder, was referred to as a former member of the team before the articles were even written about the shooting. But of course, he wasn’t much of a contributor to the team.

But Brandon Miller is the best freshman in the country and star of the team. So there’s nothing to see here, according to Nate Oats.

It appears as though Oats will do nothing to jeopardize his chances at a national championship, which run through Brandon Miller. Unless the university or law enforcement take the decision out of his hands.

I dont know Alabama law, but I'm wondering if your firearm is used in the commission of a felony, is that a crime in the state of Alabama?
    The way I read the story, Miller was bringing Miles' own gun to him (Miles).

Ok, the replies are coming fast and furious enough so that this needs its own thread and not just be lumped in with Other People's Basketball...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Oh, well in that case allow me to revise my earlier comment...

Maybe it is just me, but if someone says, "I need you to come over here and bring my gun," the smart response is, "Nope.".

Per the District Attorney, according to the article, there is "nothing" they can charge Miller with.

Per the District Attorney, according to the article, there is "nothing" they can charge Miller with.
    I could be wrong but wouldn't it be 'aiding in the act of' or 'conspiracy to commit' a felony, in this case a murder?

Maybe it is just me, but if someone says, "I need you to come over here and bring my gun," the smart response is, "Nope.".
    Oh I agree 100% with you. Apologies for not making that crystal clear! I was simply trying to explain why there's (apparently) nothing with which the DA can charge Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I could be wrong but wouldn't it be 'aiding in the act of' or 'conspiracy to commit' a felony, in this case a murder?
    Maybe not for a star athlete in Tuscaloosa?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post

I am far outside the "gun community" but it does seem like if somebody asks for their own gun BACK (and doesn't specify why), I don't see why you wouldn't do that. They own the gun, it's theirs. The part that would raise the eyebrow is why Miller had Miles gun to begin with? Not giving the gun back. I think that this probably won't turn into anything based on these facts.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Not if it was Miles gun to begin with as someone said upthread and Miller was returning it to him. Miller didn't supply (read: purchase and own) the gun. He possessed Miles' gun for a period (I don't know why).

Edited to add: I should have read article. I didn't realize he was at the scene at the time the crime was committed. Probably doesn't change criminal "Facts" but certainly LOOKS bad. And based on what Miller said...sheesh. Sounds like he sure knew what it was going to be used for. "Wrong place wrong time" is a joke. Definitely not a laughing matter.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 02-21-2023 at 03:57 PM.

I guess in Alabama you can't be an accessory before the fact.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

So I understand that, apparently, there's nothing Miller can be charged with but what, in the coaches' eye is really the difference between Miller "transporting" the gun to Miles and then Miles "transporting" (i.e. handing it over to) the guy - Davis - who allegedly pulled the trigger?

Is Miles only kicked off the team because he's been charged with a crime by the cops? Seems slimey (at best) and reeks of unequal treatment of the "star" player vs. the benchwarmer.

Also, it seems very clear here that Miles asked Miller to bring him the gun on short notice (the night of the murder). In other words, it's not like he casually said, "Hey man, I'd like to get that gun back from you sometime soon when it's convenient". Seems to me that Miller had to understand there was a sense of urgency in Miles' request.