Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Going to smoke something on my off-set barrel smoker this weekend for the first time in months. Debating on doing something classic like ribs, or something a little zany like jalepeno mozzarella stuffed meat balls. The audience that will be around will probably determine what I cook more so than what I actually want.

Anyone ever use Bradford pear chunks? I know that it is not a fruiting tree, but have been told it is similar to apple.

Asking, ‘cause I suddenly have some.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Anyone ever use Bradford pear chunks? I know that it is not a fruiting tree, but have been told it is similar to apple.

Asking, ‘cause I suddenly have some.
    No experience with that, but would doubt it will do very well. It's a fast growing tree, which is partly why they were so pervasive in the 90's in suburban areas. If it does work well for you, then you should be able to get an ample supply of it if you can convince your neighbors to follow this guys advice. The Curse of the Bradford Pear

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    No experience with that, but would doubt it will do very well. It's a fast growing tree, which is partly why they were so pervasive in the 90's in suburban areas. If it does work well for you, then you should be able to get an ample supply of it if you can convince your neighbors to follow this guys advice. The Curse of the Bradford Pear
    I'm getting ready to cut two down.heavy wind splits them badly.

too bad I can't use pine to smoke, i had to cut down 2.5 acres of 70 foot white pines after a wind storm...generational level of wood, great if you covet pine tar.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    too bad I can't use pine to smoke, i had to cut down 2.5 acres of 70 foot white pines after a wind storm...generational level of wood, great if you covet pine tar.
    George Brett says hello.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Geez, where's my chainsaw!? I hate these trees.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Geez, where's my chainsaw!? I hate these trees.
    We had one that split after a minor storm and fell across the driveway. Thank god no one hurt and nothing major damaged. They are awful, awful trees and deserve no hugs at all. So rather than pay hundreds of dollars to have it chained and braced, we ripped that sucker out. But it was a nuisance for years after because the stump was not ground down far enough and kept sprouting incessantly. The comparison to kudzu seems appropriate.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Now that we are into May, smoking season is kicking into high gear. I'll just leave this right here. Click for more detail/preparation.

chickens.jpg

Couple of spatchcock chickens on the BGE tonight...fam wanted healthy

Hawaiian burgers on the Davy Crockett smoker tonight. First time trying to do burgers on a pellet smoker so I'm somewhat skeptical. Will add pics and results later tonight.

Also making a homemade smoked ketchup recipe off the Traeger website. Sounds delicious. I must be hungry, I've looked at nothing but recipes for the last 20 minutes at work.
    Last edited by left_hook_lacey; 08-01-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the ketchup!

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Hawaiian burgers on the Davy Crockett smoker tonight. First time trying to do burgers on a pellet smoker so I'm somewhat skeptical. Will add pics and results later tonight.

Also making a homemade smoked ketchup recipe off the Traeger website. Sounds delicious. I must be hungry, I've looked at nothing but recipes for the last 20 minutes at work.
    sounds good, but I'd be worried that irate Mexicans would keep taking a run at the Davy Crockett smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    sounds good, but I'd be worried that irate Mexicans would keep taking a run at the Davy Crockett smoker.
    Remember the A la mode!!!!!

For the first time in my life, I cooked something medium well. It was odd, usually my plate is soaked in juice because I end up being on the light side of medium rare. Plate was mostly dry.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    For the first time in my life, I cooked something medium well. It was odd, usually my plate is soaked in juice because I end up being on the light side of medium rare. Plate was mostly dry.
    Intentionally?

Intentionally?
    Kind of, I stuck to times I came up with before starting. They were based on the last time I grilled. The difference was that those steaks were thicker than these.

Naw, you just forgot to account for Global Warming.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Kind of, I stuck to times I came up with before starting. They were based on the last time I grilled. The difference was that those steaks were thicker than these.
    My most valuable grilling tool is a wireless thermometer.

Yes, I guess I'm going to have to start using the one I got early this summer.

I second and third this. I'll also add in that one of your probes should be leading to an oven temp with stand so you can keep an eye on the temperature away from your grill's thermometer. Those things are not accurate and can mean 20-50 degrees difference sometimes, making it even less accurate to go by time alone.