Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Looks like the recruits went to the Crazies but not sure who is who

not a bunch of huge take aways from this scrimmage--had a feel of an all-star game and first night nerves resulting in not a lot of meaningful ball movement at times and a LOT of jacked up shots out of rhythm of the offense. Carey was the best thing out there tonight, nice finishing moves, good body control and a three. Might need to work on rebounding. Moore didn't do well with outside shots, a couple of nice drives. Hurt hit a three, got more into the inside stuff as the game wore on. Stanley showed his athleticism. Goldwire made the most of what nature has given him as he always does. Robinson had a nice game. O'Connell was opportunistic and showed the benefit of experience. Defense still a work in progress. Tre, Jack, Javin, Joey nothing special on display tonight. K looked nice and rested.

Tre, Hurt, and Carey are locks for the starting lineup, IMO. I could see AOC and one of Jack/Javin filling out the other two spots.

J-Rob could get some burn this year, man.

Vernon Carey. I’m a believer. Elton Brand with a jumper? Hoping he will be half the rebounder Elton was.

If Tre has improved his jumper, no evidence tonight.

AOC and Hurt and Moore all with solid games.

Expecting those 5 to start.

Mt. Vernon is a beast. Like the fluid low post moves, and can step out and shoot. I think Hurt showed flashes and will be really good once his role is defined and can settle in. Moore reminds me of Winslow. Not impressed with Tre Jones at all. Javin still brought good energy and bounce, same for Robinson. A work in progress with lots of potential.

Agree that this looked more all-star game-ish than past blue-white games, though I think that was likely by design. You could see when they ramped up the D in the last two minutes how much the defense is ahead of the offense. Now some of that is probably because these likely aren’t the lineups they’re running in practice as they’re trying to figure out game rotations and the squads we saw tonight were definitely aimed at competitive balance.

All these kids have NBA guys they watch and try to replicate and have a suspicion that Vernon Carey’s guy is Joel Embiid (not a bad person to pick for someone his size), but they way he floats around the top of the key reminds me a lot of how Embiid operates on offense. I’ll also be interested to keep an eye on the motor and conditioning concerns that Spatola talked about. Obviously the split squad meant heavy minutes, but he was breathing heavy by the end of that. My gut says at least early in the season that barring foul trouble concerns and assuming they don’t run “big” lineups with both out there, you’ll see 20-25 minutes from Carey and 15-20 from Javin.

I don’t think Kyle Singler retiring this week was a coincidence either, as I suspect he put on a mask and is playing as Matthew Hurt! All kidding aside, that’s who Hurt reminded of tonight, especially on the offensive end. Whether that’s just in my head because of Singler’s retirement or he looks completely different going forward, who knows. He looked comfortable operating anywhere on the court depending on what his matchup dictated, whether it was low post high post, wing, perimeter. He was everywhere. He doesn’t have the size to go through people, or the speed to blow by them, or the athleticism to finish over the top, but he’s willing to use his length to try and finish around people, and isn’t afraid to get knocked over and go to the line doing so. He looks to have good touch and seemed to be willing to make the proper plays, even if they aren’t fancy.

Hard to really see too much though, when you have a game where Javin feels free to take multiple three pointers. That tells you all you need to know about the tone. I was really hoping to see Tre and Jordan really go at each other defensively, but that’s never what we were going to get, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, I know he’s not supposed to be a shooter, so I’m not concerned or anything, but at least one (can’t remember if it was all of em) of Moore’s jumper was so quick and short-armed it looked like a t-rex was shooting the ball

I’d start

Jones
    O’Connell
    Moore
    Hurt
    Carey

Javin being the first guy off the bench

At the game tonight. Carey is very skilled and plays with confidence. He is going to be excellent. Hurt is also skilled but needs to get stronger. I was impressed with Stanley- great athlete and a decent midrange game. Tre had an awful night but I am not too worried. My biggest concern is that there are no reliable shooters. Maybe AOC - Baker did not look like he was ready to be even Freshman JJ. This will be a fun team to see develop- they could be good on D in time but this team is going to need a shooter if they want to win the league. We will see in a couple weeks when the starters get more minutes together.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Baker did not look like he was ready to be even Freshman JJ.
    "Freshman JJ" started 30 games and played 30+ mpg. He was 3rd-team All-ACC (as well as ACC All-Freshman). He led the ACC in three-pointers made and FT%, and scored 15 ppg (9th in ACC). He was 3rd in the ACC in true shooting percentage, 8th in the ACC in win shares, and top 20 in the ACC in FGs made, assists per game, and steals.

Did you really think Joey Baker might be ready to do all that? Seems like an unfairly high bar to me.

My eye test told me that Goldmire had a better game than Tre tonight.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    "Freshman JJ" started 30 games and played 30+ mpg. He was 3rd-team All-ACC (as well as ACC All-Freshman). He led the ACC in three-pointers made and FT%, and scored 15 ppg (9th in ACC). He was 3rd in the ACC in true shooting percentage, 8th in the ACC in win shares, and top 20 in the ACC in FGs made, assists per game, and steals.

Did you really think Joey Baker might be ready to do all that? Seems like an unfairly high bar to me.
    And he annihilated NC State in the ACC finals. 30 points in 34 minutes.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The best five players appear to be Carey, Hurt, Jones, Moore, and Stanley. The question is whether a Jones/Stanley/Moore perimeter can shoot enough to play together. But I feel like we need at least two of them on the floor together as much as possible from a talent and playmaking perspective. I could see one of them having to come off the bench (or sub out quickly) to get another shooter out there.

Jones, Carey, and Hurt seem like no-doubt starters. I would guess one of Moore/Stanley would start too, and then it is up for grabs for a shooter.

Really liked what I saw from Carey. His post moves looked really good.

Hurt sure can shoot it, and having Carey and DeLaurier at center should help him not get beaten up inside.

I liked what I saw from Stanley and Moore too. It is just the aforementioned concern that neither is a shooter and neither is Jones. Conversely, none of the shooters on the team appear to offer enough elsewhere to necessarily push one of those guys to the bench.

I was hoping for more from Jones. Didn’t see it tonight, but there is a long way to go yet. Hopefully it was just an off-night.

Looking forward to the season. Clearly a step down in talent from last year, but hopefully we can make up for it with versatility. I am very interested to see how this year’s group is molded.

Watching on delay. AOC needs a hair consultation.

Stanley has a lot of potential but AOC looked good tonight and should provide better outside shooting. I expect he’ll start early in the year and PT will be based on how the two perform. AOC has also always rebounded his position well. Couldn’t tell from tonight if he’s improved his D but the added muscle should help.

Watched the player intros. Gonna root my rear off for the seniors this year. Good group. Wish we had Bolden, but alas.
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 10-18-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post

I didn’t even think Freshman JJ would do that. I was hoping to see a more confident shooting stroke from deep and in that sense only I was hoping to see more. Given this is his second year- I am not sure I saw a player ready to be the 40% from three guy the team needs. He can be a solid player. My concern is shooting and I can’t identify the guy you can depend on to knock down shots. Maybe Hurt will be that guy in time.

Just looked over the box score. The vets mostly performed to spec, except Jones. Is he ill? I thought he would set the place on fire with assists, but no. Javin performed as expected (which is fine for a first sub), Jack White was aggressive, but still can't hit a three. Goldwire was solid, AOC (our AOC!) looked stronger and better. Performed as I thought he would last year. The frosh, though not runaway all stars like last year, looked good. I would think by January, we may have a very good team, but it may be a rough ride to get there. Just my two cents.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post

I don’t think Kyle Singler retiring this week was a coincidence either, as I suspect he put on a mask and is playing as Matthew Hurt! All kidding aside, that’s who Hurt reminded of tonight, especially on the offensive end. Whether that’s just in my head because of Singler’s retirement or he looks completely different going forward, who knows. He looked comfortable operating anywhere on the court depending on what his matchup dictated, whether it was low post high post, wing, perimeter. He was everywhere. He doesn’t have the size to go through people, or the speed to blow by them, or the athleticism to finish over the top, but he’s willing to use his length to try and finish around people, and isn’t afraid to get knocked over and go to the line doing so. He looks to have good touch and seemed to be willing to make the proper plays, even if they aren’t fancy.
    This is a killer point. If Hurt contributes even 50% of what Singler did, he will be great, and we will have a fabulous team. I continue to think that the the three esses (Singler, Scheyer, and Smith) were maybe the best trio Duke ever fielded (well, they won a natty -- not too shabby).
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    This is a killer point. If Hurt contributes even 50% of what Singler did, he will be great, and we will have a fabulous team. I continue to think that the the three esses (Singler, Scheyer, and Smith) were maybe the best trio Duke ever fielded (well, they won a natty -- not too shabby).
    Woah. That’s one of my favorite duke teams ever but Hurley, Laettner, and Hill would gobble them up.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Just looked over the box score. The vets mostly performed to spec, except Jones. Is he ill? I thought he would set the place on fire with assists, but no. Javin performed as expected (which is fine for a first sub), Jack White was aggressive, but still can't hit a three. Goldwire was solid, AOC (our AOC!) looked stronger and better. Performed as I thought he would last year. The frosh, though not runaway all stars like last year, looked good. I would think by January, we may have a very good team, but it may be a rough ride to get there. Just my two cents.
    Tre just looked sped up, to my eye. I think he was amped to get this show on the road and just was a hair off all night. His quickness was obvious and he looked like one of the best players on the floor in terms of skill. He just didn't play very well.

I think he will be fine. But will see.

- Chillin