Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    OAD has always protected both current players and owners. Regardless of public rhetoric it serves neither to eliminate it.
    So disappointed in this news. Thought the commish was also in favor of eliminating the “19” rule, but guess he didn’t have the power to do much.

Mixed feelings on this. I still think, as mentioned above, that we will get among the top OADs, just not as many as Coach changes his recruiting approach. One adjustment is that, with G League and Overtime, we won’t get as large a pick of the litter. It’s also less likely that we will get those stalwart OADs as frequently as we have in the past, guys that from Day 1 are All-Americans and lottery picks. Seemed like at least every other year we get a Zion or Marvin or Tatum.

The OAD guys seem to disappear more and more come the last weekend of the season. Championship seem to be won lately by teams with experience. Lots of juniors and seniors in the FF this year. Outside of Miller, the attention this season wasn't on a lot of the guys who are in college for 7 months. It has been a fun season with the blue bloods taking a back seat. I like the direction Jon is taking the program. Mixing in some OAD's with an increasing emphasis on experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    The OAD guys seem to disappear more and more come the last weekend of the season. Championship seem to be won lately by teams with experience. Lots of juniors and seniors in the FF this year. Outside of Miller, the attention this season wasn't on a lot of the guys who are in college for 7 months. It has been a fun season with the blue bloods taking a back seat. I like the direction Jon is taking the program. Mixing in some OAD's with an increasing emphasis on experience.
    You meant "since 2015," when 60 of Duke's 68 points in the champioship were scored by freshmen, with only Grayson returning.

Last year, as it turns out, 45 of our 77 against NC were scored by Paolo, AJ, and Keels -- all OAD.

But that's just Duke, and you were making a different point I believe.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 03-31-2023 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added stuff

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    I was wondering how much Jon knew/had a good idea of the freshmen that could come back when he made that statement about getting “older”. Procter and Mitchell… and Young even if not a freshman last year still brings in a year of Duke culture experience next year.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Part of me thinks that they might want to avoid the pressure and the spotlight of following their dad's footsteps at Duke. G-league is our big competition.

However if we win the chip in the next two years, that should take away of a lot of the pressure on them to deliver.
    Spoken like someone who does not listen to the podcast

I spoke with Carlos just a couple weeks ago. He made it very clear that his sons are both "college guys" and they would not consider the G-League or OTE. Now, he said that if the OAD age limit was lowered, they would have to look at that but seeing as that did not happen I feel very confident the plan by the Boozer family is for both sons to go to college.

It is worth noting that Cayden, though still a 5-star prospect, is not as certain of being OAD as his bigger brother, Cameron, is. Most rankings have Cayden in the teens or low-20s. Everyone has Cameron at #1 in the class (with Cooper Flagg #2).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

By the way, while everyone is talking about the OAD rule remaining in place, lost in the shuffle is the fact that the new CBA opens up a third 2-way contract slot for each team. These 2-way deals are worth $500k+ per year and are a great way of teams developing young talent. Both Trevor Keels and Jack White are on 2-ways right now.

Having a third 2-way slot next year will have a serious impact on the basketball earnings of some guys who just miss out on being drafted. It is going to make summer league even more intense.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I don’t know if it’s so much a “we don’t fully trust our talent evaluation” so much as they’d rather have another year of basketball and physical development to evaluate before having to invest in these young players. More information is better than less.
    To-may-to, to-mah-to.