Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Long Strange Trip

Just finished the 4 hour documentary about the Grateful Dead on Amazon Video. I thought it was great, but happy Amazon has it divided into a series.

The music was awesome, with some of my favorite Dead songs. The video brought back great memories of my youth - I was never a DeadHead, in the true sense of the word, but saw them twice, once at Cameron, once in Charlotte.

Really well done. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 100%. IMDB 8.2

~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Just finished the 4 hour documentary about the Grateful Dead on Amazon Video. I thought it was great, but happy Amazon has it divided into a series.

The music was awesome, with some of my favorite Dead songs. The video brought back great memories of my youth - I was never a DeadHead, in the true sense of the word, but saw them twice, once at Cameron, once in Charlotte.

Really well done. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 100%. IMDB 8.2

Well if you like that, you might like this. Spoiler alert: Garcia does a windmill or two near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlwMmfLIkVE

Howard

They're a band beyond description...
    Like Jehovah's favorite choir....

Jerry Garcia was a true musical genius capable of incredible performances. On those rare occasions, when everything came into alignment, The Grateful Dead were purely amazing. The rest of the time, we road tripped across America chasing the sound. What a long strange trip it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    The rest of the time, we road tripped across America chasing the sound. What a long strange trip it was!
    Well, not just America. I saw about 10 shows on the Europe 1990 tour as well. For weeks I had this strong feeling they would play Johnny B. Goode in Berlin, as I could not think of anything more appropriate. Nope, but still some excellent shows.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    Well, not just America. I saw about 10 shows on the Europe 1990 tour as well. For weeks I had this strong feeling they would play Johnny B. Goode in Berlin, as I could not think of anything more appropriate. Nope, but still some excellent shows.

Howard
    True, there was the occasional international tour. I chose to stay home and catch the most shows possible per dollar and time off. I definitely lacked green during six years of college.

The boys hardly ever played the appropriate location tune (no Terrapin @ U. of MD, no Dixie in Richmond, etc.). However, they did seem to breakout tunes at preferred locations.

The boys hardly ever played the appropriate location tune (no Terrapin @ U. of MD, no Dixie in Richmond, etc.). However, they did seem to breakout tunes at preferred locations.
    One of the last shows of that Europe tour (maybe the last show?) was in London on Halloween and they did play Werewolves of London. But if i remember correctly Garcia's voice was shot and he basically croaked his way through. So half a mark at best

Hiward

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    One of the last shows of that Europe tour (maybe the last show?) was in London on Halloween and they did play Werewolves of London. But if i remember correctly Garcia's voice was shot and he basically croaked his way through. So half a mark at best

Hiward
    Yep, I prefer the Red Rocks version.

IMO, the boys peaked, the last time, with Brent. I loved every show I saw from the summer of 1988 through the summer of 1990. Brent was very good for Jerry.
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 07-06-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: multi-tasking

I always meant to see a Dead show purely for the spectacle but honestly never understood the attraction to their music. Listening to them fart around playing a 5 minute tune for 20 minutes doesn't apeal to me at all. Same goes for Wide Spread Panic and Phish. Just not my thing. Ian McLagan said it best:

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/05/368737...st-ian-mclagan

"MCLAGAN: Well, I didn't actually decline the chance - it was a chance, I wasn't given the gig. A friend of mine, who was a friend of Jerry Garcia's said they're looking for a - their current keyboard player has died and they're looking for someone else. He said you could - you want to - they want you to play to a tape and submit it, you know? And he said you'd make a quarter of a million a year, you know? You could live anywhere you want, blah, blah, blah. And I was actually on vacation at the time in San Diego with my wife and our dogs. And I went out and bought a Grateful Dead CD. And my wife went out to do some shopping and came back to the hotel room and I was sitting in a blue funk in a brown study in a green swarm of hell and she said what's the matter? I said I can't play this music, it sucks. I mean, just my personal taste, I couldn't - didn't understand it, didn't get it, you know, still don't really. I mean, I know they make a lot of money; they got a lots of fans. Sorry if I've upset anyone but, you know?

DAVIES: Wasn't your cup of tea?

MCLAGAN: Wasn't my cup of tea. No more than Phish or that jam band. That's so tediously boring. But, you know, I like a tune. I like a tune and a singer and a solo and now more of the tune. You know, I just couldn't even do it, you know?"

Ummmm....wrong forum?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Ummmm...wrong forum?
    Nah, they played at CIS. Probably more than once.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Mrs. OPK affirmatively dislikes the Dead. But liked this documentary.

I of course am a big fan of both.

And I'll say -- if you've streamed any of John Mayer with Dead & Co. this last tour, you already know -- The Beast is playing with as much energy as it did in the Spring '90 tour (which I would argue was the last really good tour). Phil Lesh said that they became "ossified" at the end, and sometimes it takes a fresh few voices to realize that the old trip's gone stale.

Stream it if you are a fan. You won't be disappointed.

Saw them roughly a dozen times in the '70s and '80s. Netscape went public the day Jerry died, marking the start of the dot com era. Bay Area changed forever that day.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post

"MCLAGAN: Well, I didn't actually decline the chance - it was a chance, I wasn't given the gig. A friend of mine, who was a friend of Jerry Garcia's said they're looking for a - their current keyboard player has died and they're looking for someone else. He said you could - you want to - they want you to play to a tape and submit it, you know? And he said you'd make a quarter of a million a year, you know? You could live anywhere you want, blah, blah, blah. And I was actually on vacation at the time in San Diego with my wife and our dogs. And I went out and bought a Grateful Dead CD. And my wife went out to do some shopping and came back to the hotel room and I was sitting in a blue funk in a brown study in a green swarm of hell and she said what's the matter? I said I can't play this music, it sucks. I mean, just my personal taste, I couldn't - didn't understand it, didn't get it, you know, still don't really. I mean, I know they make a lot of money; they got a lots of fans. Sorry if I've upset anyone but, you know?
    Yesiree, this was the devastating approach to replacing a vital band member (Brent). In 1990, The Grateful Dead were playing exceptionally well and grossing more than $30 million in annual ticket sales. Sadly, the band members did not want to be bothered finding an appropriate replacement for Brent. IMO, Bruce Hornsby was a blessing and a curse when he kindly volunteered to temporarily help fill the void. The Hornsby release valve enabled the band members to slack off and not conduct a proper talent search. As a result, IMO, they made a poor selection.

Jerry's friend would have failed miserably as a headhunter. In 1990, this position was a million dollar a year opportunity. Jerry Garcia, and, thus, all other band members, generously took the same ticket sales percentage as the new keyboardist. IMO, in 1990, the real winners were the key roadies who made almost a quarter of a million a year. Jerry Garcia shared at a level that would probably give Mick Jagger, Don Henley, and, even Bruce Springsteen a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Spring '90 tour (which I would argue was the last really good tour).
    Strongly agree! IMO, Fall '89 and Spring '90 were the two best tours during The Grateful Dead's final 15 years (1980-1995). IMO, Brent was a key reason why.

I always meant to see a Dead show purely for the spectacle but honestly never understood the attraction to their music. Listening to them fart around playing a 5 minute tune for 20 minutes doesn't apeal to me at all. Same goes for Wide Spread Panic and Phish. Just not my thing. Ian McLagan said it best:

DAVIES: Wasn't your cup of tea?

MCLAGAN: Wasn't my cup of tea. No more than Phish or that jam band. That's so tediously boring. But, you know, I like a tune. I like a tune and a singer and a solo and now more of the tune. You know, I just couldn't even do it, you know?"

Regarding Ian McLagan: Anyone who takes a 5 word thought, "wasn't my cup of tea.", and spreads it out over 200 words, can easily take a 5 minute tune and spread it out over 20 minutes.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Mrs. OPK affirmatively dislikes the Dead. But liked this documentary.

I of course am a big fan of both.

And I'll say -- if you've streamed any of John Mayer with Dead & Co. this last tour, you already know -- The Beast is playing with as much energy as it did in the Spring '90 tour (which I would argue was the last really good tour). Phil Lesh said that they became "ossified" at the end, and sometimes it takes a fresh few voices to realize that the old trip's gone stale.

Stream it if you are a fan. You won't be disappointed.
    Mayer kills it. Phil's wife was ruining the band, and Oteil Burbridge is a freaking monster. They put on a really good show. I like Mayer better on lead guitar than I liked Trey, and I love Trey. He just plays, without worrying about being too reverential to Jerry and the rest of the gang as a whole like Trey seemed to at the Fare Thee Well shows.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Yesiree, this was the devastating approach to replacing a vital band member (Brent). In 1990, The Grateful Dead were playing exceptionally well and grossing more than $30 million in annual ticket sales. Sadly, the band members did not want to be bothered finding an appropriate replacement for Brent. IMO, Bruce Hornsby was a blessing and a curse when he kindly volunteered to temporarily help fill the void. The Hornsby release valve enabled the band members to slack off and not conduct a proper talent search. As a result, IMO, they made a poor selection.

Jerry's friend would have failed miserably as a headhunter. In 1990, this position was a million dollar a year opportunity. Jerry Garcia, and, thus, all other band members, generously took the same ticket sales percentage as the new keyboardist. IMO, in 1990, the real winners were the key roadies who made almost a quarter of a million a year. Jerry Garcia shared at a level that would probably give Mick Jagger, Don Henley, and, even Bruce Springsteen a heart attack.
    Yeah in the same interview McLagan talks about recording and touring with the Stones on the Some Girls record and tour and Jagger trying to squeeze him

"Mick had a conversation with me about money over a game of pool. And he - not really a drinker, Mick, you know, and I am a professional drinker. And so we had a beer together. And the reason he came over to the house was to discuss business and I didn't know, I just thought he wanted a game of pool. Well, he got more and more drunk and he said so how much do you want? And I said well, how long you want to record? And he said two weeks. I said 15 grand. And he said I'm not paying you 50. He thought I'd said 50 instead of 15. He said I'll give you 20, and that's the end of it. And I said OK. But, of course, the next day he completely forgot about this conversation. And then, you know, we screwed around for several days with his employees, as to, you know, deciding what will I be paid, and eventually I did get my 15 but not after a lot of argument (laughter)."

Yeah in the same interview McLagan talks about recording and touring with the Stones on the Some Girls record and tour and Jagger trying to squeeze him

"Mick had a conversation with me about money over a game of pool. And he - not really a drinker, Mick, you know, and I am a professional drinker. And so we had a beer together. And the reason he came over to the house was to discuss business and I didn't know, I just thought he wanted a game of pool. Well, he got more and more drunk and he said so how much do you want? And I said well, how long you want to record? And he said two weeks. I said 15 grand. And he said I'm not paying you 50. He thought I'd said 50 instead of 15. He said I'll give you 20, and that's the end of it. And I said OK. But, of course, the next day he completely forgot about this conversation. And then, you know, we screwed around for several days with his employees, as to, you know, deciding what will I be paid, and eventually I did get my 15 but not after a lot of argument (laughter)."
    Who cares? Ain't nobody wanna talk about the Rolling Stones. They're so boring.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Who cares? Ain't nobody wanna talk about the Rolling Stones. They're so boring.
    Yeah those amateurs can barely sell out a high school gym. Someone should let Mick and Keif know this rock and roll thing's prolly not going to work out for them.