Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    I’m smoking two baby back rib slabs today with the following rub: salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. My Brinkmann charcoal grill/smoker has seen better days but I am going to get a few more sessions out of it before it goes to the dump and is replaced.
    Bob Green

Jewish style brisket (braised in a sweet and sour sauce) going today. Bbq and smoking has really upped my rosh hashanah game. I cook the brisket to temp now (203 at thickest part of the flat) and let it rest at least an hour before slicing. Big improvement. Happy new year for anyone who celebrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I’m smoking two baby back rib slabs today with the following rub: salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. My Brinkmann charcoal grill/smoker has seen better days but I am going to get a few more sessions out of it before it goes to the dump and is replaced.
    Have you seen the req tech pellet s.oker grills . they look pretty good.
    A bit pricey.

Im going to smoke some beef ribs .
    And bacon wrapped scallops.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I always, always, always use a digital thermometer when cooking a steak, pork loin, etc. Doesn’t matter what method of cooking I choose. Thus, I don’t worry at all about trying to control my BGE or the oven. Cook to temp and you really can’t go wrong.

I did invest in a new thermometer, but haven't used it a whole lot.

https://www.thermoworks.com/shop/products/Thermapens

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hmmm, should I mention this here? My dilemma, thick (1 1/2") Prime ribeyes, how should I cook them? I had a discussion earlier this week. Charcoal - least control, gas grill - a bit more, oven then sear, or sous vide then sear (greatest control). Am I right in thinking about the heat control? And how should I cook the steaks?
    My go-to method is sous vide then sear. Perfection every time.

Added benefits are that you don't have to heat up the house or stand over a hot grill, you can do anything else while the meat bathes in the hot tub without tending to thermometers or fires, and the timing is not terribly precise so if there's something that causes a delay in the plans, it's no big deal. The active time spent cooking the meat is minimal. I'll usually do something stupid and spend any time savings on elaborate side dishes instead of just enjoying the day, but at least it freed up my time to do that!

Hmmm, should I mention this here? My dilemma, thick (1 1/2") Prime ribeyes, how should I cook them? I had a discussion earlier this week. Charcoal - least control, gas grill - a bit more, oven then sear, or sous vide then sear (greatest control). Am I right in thinking about the heat control? And how should I cook the steaks?
    I’m a big fan of reverse searing for thick ribeyes or strips. Slow cook to temp using your preferred method. I use a BGE with plate at 250 and pull them at an internal temp of 118. Let rest for 10 minutes while you turn the grill up to 500 and then sear to your liking (takes me about 60-90 seconds per side). I like the taste of the meat over charcoal but it also works well with a gas grill or even an oven and pan with butter.

I went the sous vide route today. Heavy rains and lots of lightning kept me in the house for the last few hours. Cooked for two hours at 130, lightly seasoned with salt and a little pepper. Seared in a cast iron pan for 90 seconds each side. Like most sous-vide items I've cooked before, tender and juicy. And consistent through the thickness of the cut of steak. Pet gave it two paws up. Tomorrow will be charcoal on a small kamado grill.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I’m a big fan of reverse searing for thick ribeyes or strips. Slow cook to temp using your preferred method. I use a BGE with plate at 250 and pull them at an internal temp of 118. Let rest for 10 minutes while you turn the grill up to 500 and then sear to your liking (takes me about 60-90 seconds per side). I like the taste of the meat over charcoal but it also works well with a gas grill or even an oven and pan with butter.

Something like this for the plate?

https://smokeware.com/products/plate-setter

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Jewish style brisket (braised in a sweet and sour sauce) going today. Bbq and smoking has really upped my rosh hashanah game. I cook the brisket to temp now (203 at thickest part of the flat) and let it rest at least an hour before slicing. Big improvement. Happy new year for anyone who celebrates.
    Not Jewish, but celebrating my Jewish friends today!

Something like this for the plate?

https://smokeware.com/products/plate-setter
    Yes! Alternatively called a plate setter or convEGGtor in Big Green Egg world. It protects the meat from direct heat and helps keep the temp low. Essential for smoking or indirect cooking with a Komodo style cooker.

I did invest in a new thermometer, but haven't used it a whole lot.

https://www.thermoworks.com/shop/products/Thermapens
    Lavatools Javelin is the best one I've found for the price.
    Had some cheap no name ones before and the probe wanted to pull loose from the housing.

For the smoker, a remote thermometer that gives you meat and chamber temps is very valuable.
    I have been using this one for three years now after my maverick one died. Works with bluetooth on your phone instead of having a remote unit.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MVVK5JK

For some reason, this link will give you a better price with a 35% discount.
    Last edited by BigWayne; 09-07-2021 at 04:25 AM.

So, I made the mistake yesterday of eating a 24 oz boneless Ribeye in one sitting. Woke up in the middle of the night, felt flushed and overall not well. First thought, did I finally catch Covid? Temp came out on the high side for me at 98.8F. Pulse was high at 82. Since I now have a pulse oximeter, that read low 90s. I usually show in the mid to upper 90s, 95 and up. I sat up for an hour like that(elevated heart rate and lower blood oxygen) and then it sunk in, oh no, maybe the "meat sweats"? At 6 am this morning, I checked again, everything back to normal, resting pulse of 60, pulse ox at 95 and 98.2 on the Kinsa thermometer. I'm rethinking portion sizes going forward.

Quick-smoked a salmon yesterday evening for anniversary dinner (had the restaurant celebration last Friday - this was with family). Cured overnight, washed and dried for two hours on the countertop, then smoked over apple wood for an hour at ~225. I made a shallot cream sauce to go with it, and my wife made wild rice and vaggies. Perfect. Sorry, no pics. Didn't think of it during the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Quick-smoked a salmon yesterday evening for anniversary dinner (had the restaurant celebration last Friday - this was with family). Cured overnight, washed and dried for two hours on the countertop, then smoked over apple wood for an hour at ~225. I made a shallot cream sauce to go with it, and my wife made wild rice and vaggies. Perfect. Sorry, no pics. Didn't think of it during the occasion.
    that sounds marvelous. A sauce I use for my smoked salmon (also 225 degrees) is a mixture of brown sugar (for heft), maple syrup and tarragon...I stole it from a French Canadian market that was kind enough to put the ingredients on the label.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Lavatools Javelin is the best one I've found for the price.
    Had some cheap no name ones before and the probe wanted to pull loose from the housing.

For the smoker, a remote thermometer that gives you meat and chamber temps is very valuable.
    I have been using this one for three years now after my maverick one died. Works with bluetooth on your phone instead of having a remote unit.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MVVK5JK

For some reason, this link will give you a better price with a 35% discount.
    I do have this but honestly haven't taken it out of the box yet:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GE77QT0...ogi&th=1&psc=1

I do have this but honestly haven't taken it out of the box yet:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GE77QT0...ogi&th=1&psc=1
    Well there's an excuse for finding a big chunk of meat to throw on the smoker this weekend.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Just an FYI to anyone that has a Harris Teeter close by, right now they have pork butts and rib roasts on sale. The ribeye (both sliced and bone-in roasts) are $7.99/lb. I bought our Christmas roast today since that deal is too good to pass up. (I also got two butts for a BBQ comp that I'm entering on Saturday.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Just an FYI to anyone that has a Harris Teeter close by, right now they have pork butts and rib roasts on sale. The ribeye (both sliced and bone-in roasts) are $7.99/lb. I bought our Christmas roast today since that deal is too good to pass up. (I also got two butts for a BBQ comp that I'm entering on Saturday.)
    Hey now. That's useful information!

Forgot to prep the steaks all day until about 30 minutes before dinner. Took them out for 15 minutes to let the temperatures moderate, then EVOO / S / P and into the air fryer for 9 minutes. Finished in a screaming hot cast iron - incredible outcome.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I had a fun day at work smoking the two butts I bought yesterday for the fundraiser cookoff this weekend.

BBQ2021.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."