Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    What style smoker do you use?
    Big Green Egg. Need to get a real smoker but this does for a family of four. You?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Attachment 10535

SonPK’s first brisket, a 15-pound wagyu. Been smoking since about 11 pm last night,

About to decide between burnt ends or just carving up that end as fat slices.
    Let's see, it's ~300 miles from my home to your undisclosed area, meaning, if I left now, I could be there well before dinner...

Oh, and BTW, I wanna see some photos of OPK as a teen. I think the resemblance is uncanny.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Yup. I used to be a strict “bbq is pork butt” guy until I tried my first brisket smoke. Bang.

A fair bit more finicky than a pork butt for sure, but magic when it works.
    BBQ is​ pork butt. Brisket is brisket. You were right all along

Big Green Egg. Need to get a real smoker but this does for a family of four. You?
    I have an offset barrel smoker and a pellet smoker. I use the pellet smoker the most since I'm usually just cooking for our family. I use the off set if I'm cooking for a big party.

I have an offset barrel smoker and a pellet smoker. I use the pellet smoker the most since I'm usually just cooking for our family. I use the off set if I'm cooking for a big party.
    Are you happy with how pellets work, as opposed to wood charcoal?

Attachment 10535

SonPK’s first brisket, a 15-pound wagyu. Been smoking since about 11 pm last night,

That looks amazing! Nicely done. I'm not thrilled with this thread. Making me hungry and I can't immediately solve that problem with the answer this thread suggests.

Attachment 10535

I would go fat slices, too much carbonization is not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I would go fat slices, too much carbonization is not a good thing.
    May be true. But the flat cooked much quicker than the point, so separated them and did the ‘ends.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    May be true. But the flat cooked much quicker than the point, so separated them and did the ‘ends.
    Mmm...meat marshmallows.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Are you happy with how pellets work, as opposed to wood charcoal?
    Very much so. There's always a tradeoff, but the ease of pellets and how clean it burns makes it worth it. When I first started using pellets, I thought the pellets would cost me a fortune. But after using it a while, I soon realized pellets go a lot farther than coal or wood, and much much less ash to clean up. A 12 hour pork butt cook will yield a few tablespoons of ash.

I also like the flexibility of using different woods easily. I have 4 bins in my shed, one has apple wood pellets, one mesquite, one hickory, and one blend.

The biggest knock on pellet grills is that the smoke flavor isn't as intense as traditional wood smokers. I cant really tell a huge difference, but I'm no pitmaster either. So who knows. I'm glad I bought my pellet smoker, it has made the process much easier and more flexible.

I also want an egg or komodo joe. I think I'm going to end up like one of those you tube guys that has literally every type of grill known to man in their backyard. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Mmm...meat marshmallows.
    Best description ever . . . Can’t spork unfortunately.

Hope all is well, stay safe.

The biggest knock on pellet grills is that the smoke flavor isn't as intense as traditional wood smokers. I cant really tell a huge difference, but I'm no pitmaster either. So who knows. I'm glad I bought my pellet smoker, it has made the process much easier and more flexible.
    I bought one of those pellet smoking tubes and load that up when I'm doing something large. I'm not sure that it makes a huge difference but certainly no one is complaining either way. I would never give up my pellet smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by GDT View Post
    I bought one of those pellet smoking tubes and load that up when I'm doing something large. I'm not sure that it makes a huge difference but certainly no one is complaining either way. I would never give up my pellet smoker.
    I've heard of people doing that. But to your point, my crowd fights over leftovers, so I havent bothered with doing any upgrades. 😀

You'd think this thread would be a bit busier...

do 22 ounce ribeyes count for this category...they loom, right after cocktail hour which is even loomier...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    do 22 ounce ribeyes count for this category...they loom, right after cocktail hour which is even loomier...
    Sounds tasty!

home smoked (warm) salmon with tarragon maple glaze is in the on deck circle...tasty either warm or cold...

My comments aren't a perfect fit here but no way am I posting in that 5 Tarheels you don't like thread. That's some boo-shi*.

Tried shaving butter into my ground sirloin this evening for the first time, along with the usual spices. Also roasted some garlic in a touch of olive oil. My wife went for a sliver of blue cheese, roasted garlic, and red onion on her burger. I went with pimento cheese, roasted garlic, and a special sauteed hot pepper mix on mine. Toasted the buns w/ a little mayo. VERY happy with that burger prep approach though it's going to be a monthly, not weekly, protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    My comments aren't a perfect fit here but no way am I posting in that 5 Tarheels you don't like thread. That's some boo-shi*.

Tried shaving butter into my ground sirloin this evening for the first time, along with the usual spices. Also roasted some garlic in a touch of olive oil. My wife went for a sliver of blue cheese, roasted garlic, and red onion on her burger. I went with pimento cheese, roasted garlic, and a special sauteed hot pepper mix on mine. Toasted the buns w/ a little mayo. VERY happy with that burger prep approach though it's going to be a monthly, not weekly, protocol.
    What is the fat % of the ground beef you are using? Sounds tasty but not sure if you are just changing one type of fat for another?

Will have to give that a try!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

Ha! Here's my response in the Ymm, Beer thread:

"I'll not respond to that thread on the EK Forum for fear of "permanent and irrevokable disqualification from Mount Hatemore."

I got nuttin' for smoked meats and BBQ tonight as last night it was boiled shrimp and a couple sides and tonight it was baked salmon and a couple sides with each meal being accompanied by half a bottle of a double gin barrel aged saison from Mother Earth Brewing.

I now return y'all to your regularly scheduled cardiology advertisement thread...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.