Page 2900 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1900240028002850289028982899290029012902291029503000 ... LastLast
Results 57,981 to 58,000 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    When it is time for your robot vacuum to begin its appointed rounds, do you ever announce to the other residents of the household in your best Michael Buffer voice, "Let's get ready to Roooooooooomba!"?
    Sporked

If there can be silent lucidity, why can't there be silent stupidity?
    In my case, because I open my mouth and remove all doubt.

When it is time for your robot vacuum to begin its appointed rounds, do you ever announce to the other residents of the household in your best Michael Buffer voice, "Let's get ready to Roooooooooomba!"?
    Yeah. This was really good Ymo!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Your math checks out but you lost me at gin. Blech.
    Gin and tonics are way less good without the gin I find.

I have friends who routinely notify their dog. He's not a fan of that thing.

Your barkeep has a generous pour.
    our gin and tonics have been famous for years, house specialty, and three ounces of the best gin and tonic gin is what you get (which is another story in itself).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Gin and tonics are way less good without the gin I find.
    I just don’t like gin

I just don’t like gin
    Nobody’s perfect I guess

our gin and tonics have been famous for years, house specialty, and three ounces of the best gin and tonic gin is what you get (which is another story in itself).
    How does one make a famous Gin? Ingredients and method please.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    You throw some juniper berries at a bucket filled with equal part piss, grain alcohol and Shame.

You throw some juniper berries at a bucket filled with equal part piss, grain alcohol and Shame.
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Since you asked! Until the early 1980s (when, by the way, there were a lot fewer gins around) I"d make a good, basic G&T using one of the premium gins available at the time, either Beefeater or Tanqueray, the latter being a bit more floral due to different botanicals...then there was that fateful day!

The Boston Globe (1982 or so) did a fun survey of a bunch of their writers (not just the food snots, everyone...sports guys, tv writers, local reporters, etc). They blind tested a bunch of gins, maybe 10 or so IIRC for several categories: on the rocks, in a martini, and in a gin and tonic.

The results for the rocks and martini categories were as one might expect, Beefeaters and Tanqueray were dominant. But in the coveted G&T category, the prodigious runaway winner was little known (to me and them) Booth's gin. They raved about the crispness. So, skeptically, I tried it. The skepticism only mounted when I found it to be very inexpensive. (To this day, you can get the big 1.75 liter bottle for $14 at the New Hamster liquor stores for example). Gotta bend down low, it's WAY down on the bottom shelf.

For some reason, it produces a marvelously crisp G&T, really quite remarkable. I wasn't trying to enjoy it, but I certainly did, and still do. And in the ensuing 40 years, I must have converted at least 20 friends to using Booth's. (I heartily agree with the Globe writers, it's not good on the rocks or in a martini, its chosen mission in life is to make a truly splendid G&T.

So to finalize the answer: Get a Big glass (I like the large insulated kind), and fill it to the top with ice cubes, add three ounces of Booth's gin (bonus: it's 90 proof!), and finish it off with your chosen tonic...ours is still Schweppes (good grief, not the diet kind) though some these days favor stuff like Fever Tree..whatever you like. Just don't use the cheap crappy stuff like Polar or store brand...

And of course you definitely don't want to skip on fresh squeezed lime, all drinks get a full quarter of a lime...(bartenders who skimp on the lime shall be condemned to venues with loud, bad music). I usually add the lime after the gin, then pour the tonic to finish things off, get the best lime penetration. Try it!

p.s. Booth's is available in NC in the larger stores...

shots fired!

shots fired!
    I have strong gin-specific opinions. Gin is the AOC to my MTG. I struggle with why it exists at all.

I have strong gin-specific opinions. Gin is the AOC to my MTG. I struggle with why it exists at all.
    this aversion is often seen in folks who drank too much of it on a particular occasion. We are not those people. (we drink too much of it on many occasions). Vodka is for sissies who don't have taste buds.

this aversion is often seen in folks who drank too much of it on a particular occasion. We are not those people. (we drink too much of it on many occasions). Vodka is for sissies who don't have taste buds.
    Nope, not me. I’ve had too much to drink a few too many times but never on gin. I just do not like any of the guns I’ve had so far. Triggers an instinct dry heave.

Gin and turkey vibes here.

Since you asked! Until the early 1980s (when, by the way, there were a lot fewer gins around) I"d make a good, basic G&T using one of the premium gins available at the time, either Beefeater or Tanqueray, the latter being a bit more floral due to different botanicals...then there was that fateful day!

The Boston Globe (1982 or so) did a fun survey of a bunch of their writers (not just the food snots, everyone...sports guys, tv writers, local reporters, etc). They blind tested a bunch of gins, maybe 10 or so IIRC for several categories: on the rocks, in a martini, and in a gin and tonic.

The results for the rocks and martini categories were as one might expect, Beefeaters and Tanqueray were dominant. But in the coveted G&T category, the prodigious runaway winner was little known (to me and them) Booth's gin. They raved about the crispness. So, skeptically, I tried it. The skepticism only mounted when I found it to be very inexpensive. (To this day, you can get the big 1.75 liter bottle for $14 at the New Hamster liquor stores for example). Gotta bend down low, it's WAY down on the bottom shelf.

For some reason, it produces a marvelously crisp G&T, really quite remarkable. I wasn't trying to enjoy it, but I certainly did, and still do. And in the ensuing 40 years, I must have converted at least 20 friends to using Booth's. (I heartily agree with the Globe writers, it's not good on the rocks or in a martini, its chosen mission in life is to make a truly splendid G&T.

So to finalize the answer: Get a Big glass (I like the large insulated kind), and fill it to the top with ice cubes, add three ounces of Booth's gin (bonus: it's 90 proof!), and finish it off with your chosen tonic...ours is still Schweppes (good grief, not the diet kind) though some these days favor stuff like Fever Tree..whatever you like. Just don't use the cheap crappy stuff like Polar or store brand...

And of course you definitely don't want to skip on fresh squeezed lime, all drinks get a full quarter of a lime...(bartenders who skimp on the lime shall be condemned to venues with loud, bad music). I usually add the lime after the gin, then pour the tonic to finish things off, get the best lime penetration. Try it!

p.s. Booth's is available in NC in the larger stores...
    That’s much better than my “Have it make a sex tape” response.

Not I. Never been a fan. Would rather lick a pine tree.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Not I. Never been a fan. Would rather lick a pine tree.
    I have felt this way about IPAs for about 4 years now.