Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Michael Chandler Recruiting Thread

I'm not sure how many of you guys have seen film of Chandler, but IMO the kid can flat out play. I know he has been mentioned a few times under the 2011 Recruiting thread but (also IMO) he needs his own thread.

Chandler was committed to Lousville but on April 16th he decided to re-open his recruiting, “I mean I feel as though I’m still committed to Louisville. But I’m open for other schools to recruit me. Sort of like the Austin Rivers situation.”

Just like Austin, we are at or near the top of his list. I know there is a thread about O'Bryant being the "next Duke Big Man" but the more I study Chandler and O'Bryant I think that Chandler has a much bigger upside. He can really play and also has a big interest in us, something that O'Bryant has yet to really show.

Check out some video:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...41&season=2011

ya like chandlers game and body type... kinda a longer more physical version of lance... i heard that he was interested in duke but whenever i look at his profile on scout or rivals we arent even on his list. i see that espn has us right under louisville on his profile but i dont really trust espn when it comes to recruiting info. anyone else have links of him talking about duke or evidence of coaches intrest in him?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    ya like chandlers game and body type... kinda a longer more physical version of lance... i heard that he was interested in duke but whenever i look at his profile on scout or rivals we arent even on his list. i see that espn has us right under louisville on his profile but i dont really trust espn when it comes to recruiting info. anyone else have links of him talking about duke or evidence of coaches intrest in him?
    I'm never sure about Scout, they ALWAYS seem behind. They actually list him as having no interest in Lousville when he has been quoted as saying he feels, "as though I’m still committed to Louisville. But I’m open for other schools to recruit me."

Duke is also listed on yahoo which is sponsored by rivals:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/b...Chandler-86161

Academics are a big concern with Chandler. Since he's been committed to Louisville, there hasn't been much contact with him from Duke. Austin asked Duke to begin recruiting him and as far as I know, no such request ever came from Chandler's camp.

We have since moved on to other targets including Tyler Adams, Amir Williams, Desmond Hubert, and to some degree Johnny O'Bryant.

Seriously, you saw a video of this guy and he can play.

Let me ask you, how many videos have you seen in your life time that shows a person's weaknesses? I laugh at people who make those comments, videos are created only as a highlight real, to show one off. Their weakness are never shown.

Might I ask you to consider King's and Czyz's videos. They were great but they only showed their upside and never their down side. Did you ever see King's inability to play defense on video? Did you ever see what Czyz could do against top notch players on video?

Sorry but referring to some video only shows your weakness. I have a great video of a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Actually, to consider a player you should look at there weaknesses more than their strengths. Their weaknesses are the telling story behind the player. King could score but he couldn't play defense. Czyz could jam the ball better than anyone, against lesser players.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post

Let me ask you, how many videos have you seen in your life time that shows a person's weaknesses? I laugh at people who make those comments, videos are created only as a highlight real, to show one off. Their weakness are never shown.

Might I ask you to consider King's and Czyz's videos. They were great but they only showed their upside and never their down side. Did you ever see King's inability to play defense on video? Did you ever see what Czyz could do against top notch players on video?

Sorry but referring to some video only shows your weakness. I have a great video of a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Actually, to consider a player you should look at there weaknesses more than their strengths. Their weaknesses are the telling story behind the player. King could score but he couldn't play defense. Czyz could jam the ball better than anyone, against lesser players.
    The video I saw is of an entire with his HS team Lawrence North. It is pretty easy to watch a player's strengths and weaknesses on a video of an entire game.

Maybe you should ask for all the facts before you make assumptions. That just shows your weakness.

Dude, you need to chill out. No need to be rude.

And yes, you can see weakness in every player's videos. Even their highlight reels. You just have to know what you are looking for. King's would be that you never saw him drive by anyone or do anything athletic. Czyz's videos would show you that he was playing the role of a swing 4 at only 6'6". His videos were all dunks. Always a bit worried about guys like that.

[QUOTE=dukeimac;401703]Seriously, you saw a video of this guy and he can play.

I did not see the video of Chandler and I agree that these videos are all highlight reels. But, in Dukeimac's defense, occasionally you can just tell that a guy is a superior talent from these videos. For example, check out any of John Wall's YouTube vids. The first time I watched them, I immediately realized that he would be freakishly good. OK, now I'll go check out Changler's video...

Wow, everyone seems a little on edge around here lately. Smile, in case you've already forgotten, we just won the NCAA championship

Marin, Johnnie D, Hurley for 3!

Seriously, why are you being so rude, Dukeimac? You could make your points without attacking our friend.

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Orange&BlackSheep View Post
    Seriously, why are you being so rude, Dukeimac? You could make your points without attacking our friend.
    Chill out Dukiemac; there's no need to jump on each other when folks (especially fellow Duke fans) are just giving their thoughts, which is what this forum is all about. Saying that, I thought Big Pappa held his own and pushed back nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    Dude, you need to chill out. No need to be rude.
    I appreciate the support guys.

I am all for a big man with a post game! I think this part of our offense has been missing for some time.

[QUOTE=Coballs;401708]

I did not see the video of Chandler and I agree that these videos are all highlight reels. But, in Dukeimac's defense, occasionally you can just tell that a guy is a superior talent from these videos. For example, check out any of John Wall's YouTube vids. The first time I watched them, I immediately realized that he would be freakishly good. OK, now I'll go check out Changler's video...
    I meant, in Big Pappas defense of course

Not to pile on here, but there is plenty you can discern from highlight videos if you understand some nuances of the game. It's certainly not a be-all-end-all, but you can tell a lot about a player's size, strength, quickness, athleticism, aggressiveness around the rim, footwork and court awareness from comparing even brief videos.

For example, it's evident from their videos that Chandler plays stronger around the rim, has better footwork and touch, and basically is more comfortable with the ball than Amir Williams. This would lead me to hope the staff at least looks into him. To assume videos show nothing to anybody and don't even warrant posting on a CBB board in late April is silly.

But anyway, it's too bad about the academics. IMHO, Chandler will end up a better prospect than Williams, Adams and Plumthree, and given that O'Bryant isn't interested, it would be nice if we could pursue him.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Not to pile on here, but there is plenty you can discern from highlight videos if you understand some nuances of the game. It's certainly not a be-all-end-all, but you can tell a lot about a player's size, strength, quickness, athleticism, aggressiveness around the rim, footwork and court awareness from comparing even brief videos.

For example, it's evident from their videos that Chandler plays stronger around the rim, has better footwork and touch, and basically is more comfortable with the ball than Amir Williams. This would lead me to hope the staff at least looks into him. To assume videos show nothing to anybody and don't even warrant posting on a CBB board in late April is silly.

But anyway, it's too bad about the academics. IMHO, Chandler will end up a better prospect than Williams, Adams and Plumthree, and given that O'Bryant isn't interested, it would be nice if we could pursue him.
    I agree, Kyrie's highlight of making Kendall Marshall fall at the Jordan Brand Classic indicates a high level of skill.

And at this point I think it's best if we all just monitor the kid and continue to update this thread. I see where BP is going with this and this could end up one of those good threads we get to close.

So Big Pappa - what do you like about the kid? I haven't really seen anyone speak of his actual skills.

Does he hustle down the court?

Does he do a little showboating?

Is he a leader?

Is he vocal?

Sounds like he's a back to the basket kinda guy. Lots of post moves? Polished or no?

By the way - a longer more physical version of Lance sounds a lot like Marcus Camby I suppose. Chandler does remind me of Camby...

Regarding the earlier discussion...

A few of the most important things when looking at a big man recruit, IMO, are:

1. Size/body type
    2. Mobility/speed
    3. Athleticism/jumping ability
    4. Hands/shooting touch
    5. Footwork/"quick feet"

Some highlight videos can actually give a good sense of most of the things on the list.

Things that are hard to judge from short video clips are things like a guy's "motor," aggressiveness, ability to take over/dominate, intelligence, and attitude, which are all very important and can be the difference in just a good versus a great player.

Because I'm tired of little pions trashing Coach about his decisions to play guys and not others and guys making HUGE deals out of videos.

No one has talked to the guy or watched video after video of the guy or saw any of his practices so you have noooooo clue on how good he is or what type of a guy he is. But you saw one video and he is the real deal.

I'll bet anyone that Coach saw video after video of Wall and talked to the guy multiple times and he still gave up on the guy, why do you think he did that? Cause, you know, those videos showed how good he was gonna be.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Because I'm tired of little pions trashing Coach about his decisions to play guys and not others and guys making HUGE deals out of videos.

No one has talked to the guy or watched video after video of the guy or saw any of his practices so you have noooooo clue on how good he is or what type of a guy he is. But you saw one video and he is the real deal.

I'll bet anyone that Coach saw video after video of Wall and talked to the guy multiple times and he still gave up on the guy, why do you think he did that? Cause, you know, those videos showed how good he was gonna be.
    I hear you, but you can make a point with civility and without attacking a new member. Big Pappa is new here, is a nice guy, has brought good conversation in several threads and does not deserve to be attacked like that. The guy is just trying to fit in. He saw a player that he feels may end up being a good one and offered up 1 video for the board to have a look at. Nothing wrong with that at all.

You have every right to make your point, but not the way you chose to make it. But on your 2nd point about who coach plays in games, BP's post had nothing to do with that, so why lump him into a group he is not even in?

Referring to him as a "little pion" only makes the original attack worse.

Give the guy a break... he hasn't done anything to deserve being attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I agree, Kyrie's highlight of making Kendall Marshall fall at the Jordan Brand Classic indicates a high level of skill.

And at this point I think it's best if we all just monitor the kid and continue to update this thread. I see where BP is going with this and this could end up one of those good threads we get to close.

So Big Pappa - what do you like about the kid? I haven't really seen anyone speak of his actual skills.

Does he hustle down the court?

Does he do a little showboating?

Is he a leader?

Is he vocal?

Sounds like he's a back to the basket kinda guy. Lots of post moves? Polished or no?

By the way - a longer more physical version of Lance sounds a lot like Marcus Camby I suppose. Chandler does remind me of Camby...
    The biggest thing to like is his back to the basket game. He is a player that possesses a 5-7 really good post moves, his game is somewhat of a dying breed in college basketball.

He is an elite shot blocker for his age, both on the ball and off it. He has an adequate shot from the elbow but his game is mainly paint-oriented. He's big at 6'10" but has the very rare combination of being able to run the floor effectively and finish with contact inside.

I agree that you can tell a good amount from a highlight video if you know what you are looking for, and (as I said) I watched a whole game of his on ESPNU - Lawrence North against Bishop Luers. He thoroughly dominated the game inside on both ends.