Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who were your top 10 least favorite Carolina players?

With all the talk about whether Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace are "stand up guys," it got me thinking about how many Carolina players I have pretty much despised over the years. Honestly, I could come up with more than 10. But here are mine:

10. Kris Lang - He was Hansbrough before there was Hansbrough. Big, horse-faced, clumsy, travelling white dude. Difference is, he's much less talented than Hansbrough, so he's also farther down this list. But his attitude stunk and he was on a UNC team that faced Duke in its down years.

9. Jason Capel - He was the "evil" Capel. Always scowling. Showing off after dunks. Dirty fouls. Where are you now, evil Capel? Oh, announcing basketball games. Great. Another UNC-biased commentator.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Capel

8. Dante Calabria - Stinkin, runty little Italian guy. Always hit the dagger three. Also was a hit with the ladies. Mostly hated him for his successes. And his stupid haircut.

7. Mahktar N'diaye - Hard to hate someone as bad at the game as he was, but he was just a downright mean guy. Dirty player, always trying to start trouble. Plus, his name conjures up images of Worf from "Star Trek: Next Generation."

6. JR Reid - Ah, kickin' it old school. I remember the dumb flat top and the thuggish style of play. Then I remember him thugging it out even more in the NBA. Maybe the "JR can't read" chants got to him...

5. Joe Forte - Cocky, classless. Thought he was a WAY better player than he really was (though he wasn't bad). Poor work ethic. Ball hog. Only redeeming value - he was a dud in the NBA. Welcome to irrelvance, Joe. Population: you.

4. Vince Carter - Tremendous leaper. Also a tremendous jerk. Volatile personality. Also tanked a season on purpose to get traded from Toronto.

3. Rashad McCants - Some defend his work ethic, but to me, when you sell out a coach who loved his school as much as Matt Doherty loved his school, then you suck. Poor attitude, appeared to play when he "felt like it", poor teammate, and ball hog. Maybe he's maturing now... but it's easy to be mature when you get shots and minutes in the obscurity of Minnesota. If that team ever gets better, and McCants finds out that you need to play defense to stay in a rotation, we'll see how mature he's become.

2. Rasheed Wallace - The tantrums. The whining. The constant "who me?" expressions. The funny little bald spot. The occasional laissez-faire approach to the college game. The arrests. The verbal threats to players and refs. Playing for the JailBlazers, then the Pistons. Acting like a jerk to me in Sears in Durham. Yea, I have a lot of reasons not to like this dude. It didn't help that he was a great player and always had his best games against Duke. You hate to see jerks like that succeed.

1. Jerry "Mortal Kombat" Stackhouse - Same kind of attitude as 'Sheed, but tended to have more bite than bark. Has been in more fights (at least 4) than all-star games (2). Dirty, dirty player who also whines about OTHER players playing dirty. There's a reason he's been traded so many times - because he's an azz. It was basically a toss up between him and 'Sheed.

Dis-honorable mention:
    Shammond Williams
    Donald Williams
    Jeff McInnis
    Rick Fox
    Brendan Haywood
    Julius Peppers (who I happen to like as a football player)
    Hansbrough (plays too hard to hate too much)
    Danny Green (working his way up the list)

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    7. Mahktar N'diaye - Hard to hate someone as bad at the game as he was, but he was just a downright mean guy. Dirty player, always trying to start trouble. Plus, his name conjures up images of Worf from "Star Trek: Next Generation."
    That made me laugh out loud.

I don't see how Hansbrough can't make a top ten 'Most Hated' list even though he's a more recent player.

Are we talking about hating them because they're dirty and mean, or hating them because they're good and play for UNC?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus000 View Post
    That made me laugh out loud.

I don't see how Hansbrough can't make a top ten 'Most Hated' list even though he's a more recent player.

Are we talking about hating them because they're dirty and mean, or hating them because they're good and play for UNC?
    Take your pick. You can hate em for whatever reason. Heck, I hated Calabria because chicks dug him.

As for Hansbrough, he's working his way up the list for me, but he plays his butt off, so it's tough to hate him too much. Plus I know he'll flame out in the NBA.

Matt Doherty.

Hated his cocky butt as a player.

But loved the turmoil that same cockiness sowed as a coach.

In no particular order:

Jeff McInnis
    Rashad McCants
    Shammond Williams
    Rasheed Wallace
    Kris Lang
    Jason Capel
    Joseph Forte
    Rick Fox
    Brendan Haywood
    Makhtar Ndiaye--I did a Google search to ensure accurate spelling and came across a story I hadn't heard of before--he sued an airline for giving him ice for his back that ultimately ran him out of basketball?!?!? Idiot.

http://carolinasucks.com/images/rsmakhtarndiaye.htm

I agree that Danny Green is climbing the list--did anyone notice if he did his ridiculous dance before the game in Cameron?

Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post
    In no particular order:

Makhtar Ndiaye--I did a Google search to ensure accurate spelling and came across a story I hadn't heard of before--he sued an airline for giving him ice for his back that ultimately ran him out of basketball?!?!? Idiot.

http://carolinasucks.com/images/rsmakhtarndiaye.htm

I agree that Danny Green is climbing the list--did anyone notice if he did his ridiculous dance before the game in Cameron?
    I also looked up his name for another thread and came across the same article. Hilarious!

Makhtar Ndiaye definitely leads my list (I'm more in the hate them because their behavior character than because they are good and play for UNC)

The rest of my list in no particular order:
    Rasheed Wallace
    Jeff McInnis
    Rashad McCants
    JR Reid
    Danny Green

These fall more into the whinny or weren't that good unless they were playing Duke Category:
    Scott Williams
    King Rice

I always called Hacktar a Milk Dud.

10. Kris Lang *dude sucked and that mouth piece got on my last nerve*
    9. Jerry Stackhouse *too much showboating*
    8. Vince Carter *wasn't known as a trash talker in HS but turned out to be*
    7. Brian Bersticker *grabbing your crotch after a dunk ticked me off to no end*
    6. Rick Fox
    5. Jeff McInnis *dude was a thug*
    4. Jason Capel *a moronic idiot that ran his mouth even when his team sucked*
    3. Danny Green *poppin yo jersey after a school showed class is pathetic and so is your dancing*
    2. Rasheed Wallace *primo trash talker and glad he never got a title*
    *1. Makhtar N'Diaye *dirty player, lied about a racial slur, stabbed his hear in front of the K family at the 98 ACC Final*
    *1. JR Reid *dude was overrated and Ferry out played him most of his career, but ran his mouth. Thank god he never got a title either.*

Ed Cota?

I'm assuming he's not on any of these lists thanks to his position in the Hall of Fame of Carolina Punk Players?

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    I'm assuming he's not on any of these lists thanks to his position in the Hall of Fame of Carolina Punk Players?
    I tried to edit my post to include him on my dishonorable mentions, but you can't edit after 15 minutes. Boo!

I also wanted to add Jawad Williams. And man, I had forgotten all about Brian Bersticker.

Angry An easy list to compile

10. Kris Lang: No talent, insisted on calling Shane "the golden boy". Skills deteriorated as his career went on. Made a mouthguard obnoxious.

9. Brendan Haywood: A 7-footer who could play 25 minutes and get no rebounds. An insult to the great players that Carolina has had over the years when he got a triple double with blocks by basically just holding up his hands. After the fact, boldly claims he predicted Duke's loss at UHall in 2001, as it's such a tough place to play, then UNC promptly loses at UHall themselves a week later.

8. Jason Capel: Claimed at the beginning of his senior season that he was going to be a first round NBA Draft pick. Ha ha ha

7. Jeff McGinnis: A+ whining after a hard foul by Jay Heaps in the '96 game in Cameron. Incredibly divisive hot-head.

6. Ed Cota: Claimed Will Avery wasn't that hard to guard, a few days later Avery puts up 25 points on the guy. Whined for the rest of his career about how good they'd be if "'Tawn and Vince hadn't left". Got out of shape and got a gut his senior year, when he was athletic enough to go pro if he'd worked on his shot instead of working on so many pizzas and burgers.

5. Tyler Hansbrough: Likes to dish out the punishment but can't take it--initiates more contact than anyone, then acts like he'll fight anyone who steps in the paint.

4. Shamond Williams: Good to cry in basketball if it's your after your last game and they have to pull the uniform off of you. Bad to cry if it's in the tunnel before the game. Also, attacked Krzyzewskiville campers.

3. Danny Green: Made the list the first time I saw his lame dance. Jersey pull three days ago is an "instant no-classic"

2. J.R. Reid: Disturbing lack of literacy for a college (well, UNC) student.

1. Maktar N'diaye: Easily tops the list for me. Amazing that this guy worked his way through three quality programs (Wake, Michigan, UNC). The very definition of "no class".

As much as this list amuses me, since your top ten most hated Carolina players, nicely corresponds with some of my all time favorites, I am completely bewildered why Danny Green popping his jersey teed people off so much. I have never understood why folks found people doing this disrespectful. If anything it is a very team oriented thing to do--pointing to the name of your school on the front rather than the name on the back.

Note I didn't find it disrespectful at all for Maryland players to celebrate wildly on the court at Carolina when they won and if they had wanted to pop their jerseys--more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by gethlives View Post
    As much as this list amuses me, since your top ten most hated Carolina players, nicely corresponds with some of my all time favorites, I am completely bewildered why Danny Green popping his jersey teed people off so much. I have never understood why folks found people doing this disrespectful. If anything it is a very team oriented thing to do--pointing to the name of your school on the front rather than the name on the back.

Note I didn't find it disrespectful at all for Maryland players to celebrate wildly on the court at Carolina when they won and if they had wanted to pop their jerseys--more power to them.
    I cringed when Bucknell and a few other low majors in the NCAA's started the trend, but at least it was a small school getting on the map and getting pub for their school. UNC doesn't need the pub and Green IMO was acting classless. We get it you won the game. You were #1 in the nation going into the game and everyone knows who UNC is. No need for that IMO. I thought Vasquez even if it was kinda funny mouthing off to UNC fans was in bad taste as well. Why ire the fans of a opposing team especially in their arena? You could start a fight or riot.

Quote Originally Posted by gethlives View Post

I've always been a proponent of the "act like you've been there before" credo. Yea, you won. Isn't that what was supposed to happen?

Popping the front of the jersey doesn't mean "hey, look at my school." It's a fad and a way to showboat.

And for me, it's not just the jersey pop. It's the post game comments about Paulus after he dunked on him, and how he hopes he makes Sportscenter. Yea, real team oriented there.

Without hesitation.....

Attachment 271

-EJ

Two more reasons to love Stack and 'Sheed

Don't forget about Donald Williams. I never saw a player look so incredulous after being called for a foul.

Also Ademole Okaliga (sp) - Something about the mouthpeice. Hard to hate him for his three point shooting which was somewhere around 10%...he bricked a few in Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    Don't forget about Donald Williams. I never saw a player look so incredulous after being called for a foul.

Also Ademole Okaliga (sp) - Something about the mouthpeice. Hard to hate him for his three point shooting which was somewhere around 10%...he bricked a few in Cameron.
    D-Will made the dis-honorable list.

I was neutral on Okulaja.

Rasheed Wallace was the worst for me - I absolutely could not stand that guy. Still can't.

The rest of my list (with the caveat that I'm sure I'm forgetting someone):

2. Mahktar N'diaye
    3. Rashad McCants
    4. Warren Martin
    5. J.R. Reid
    6. Brendan Haywood
    7. Jason Capel
    8. Kris Lang
    9. Jeff Lebo
    10. Ed Cota

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    With all the talk about whether Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace are "stand up guys," it got me thinking about how many Carolina players I have pretty much despised over the years. Honestly, I could come up with more than 10. But here are mine:

10. Kris Lang - He was Hansbrough before there was Hansbrough. Big, horse-faced, clumsy, travelling white dude. Difference is, he's much less talented than Hansbrough, so he's also farther down this list. But his attitude stunk and he was on a UNC team that faced Duke in its down years.

9. Jason Capel - He was the "evil" Capel. Always scowling. Showing off after dunks. Dirty fouls. Where are you now, evil Capel? Oh, announcing basketball games. Great. Another UNC-biased commentator.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Capel

8. Dante Calabria - Stinkin, runty little Italian guy. Always hit the dagger three. Also was a hit with the ladies. Mostly hated him for his successes. And his stupid haircut.

6. JR Reid - Ah, kickin' it old school. I remember the dumb flat top and the thuggish style of play. Then I remember him thugging it out even more in the NBA. Maybe the "JR can't read" chants got to him...

5. Joe Forte - Cocky, classless. Thought he was a WAY better player than he really was (though he wasn't bad). Poor work ethic. Ball hog. Only redeeming value - he was a dud in the NBA. Welcome to irrelvance, Joe. Population: you.

4. Vince Carter - Tremendous leaper. Also a tremendous jerk. Volatile personality. Also tanked a season on purpose to get traded from Toronto.

3. Rashad McCants - Some defend his work ethic, but to me, when you sell out a coach who loved his school as much as Matt Doherty loved his school, then you suck. Poor attitude, appeared to play when he "felt like it", poor teammate, and ball hog. Maybe he's maturing now... but it's easy to be mature when you get shots and minutes in the obscurity of Minnesota. If that team ever gets better, and McCants finds out that you need to play defense to stay in a rotation, we'll see how mature he's become.

2. Rasheed Wallace - The tantrums. The whining. The constant "who me?" expressions. The funny little bald spot. The occasional laissez-faire approach to the college game. The arrests. The verbal threats to players and refs. Playing for the JailBlazers, then the Pistons. Acting like a jerk to me in Sears in Durham. Yea, I have a lot of reasons not to like this dude. It didn't help that he was a great player and always had his best games against Duke. You hate to see jerks like that succeed.

1. Jerry "Mortal Kombat" Stackhouse - Same kind of attitude as 'Sheed, but tended to have more bite than bark. Has been in more fights (at least 4) than all-star games (2). Dirty, dirty player who also whines about OTHER players playing dirty. There's a reason he's been traded so many times - because he's an azz. It was basically a toss up between him and 'Sheed.

Dis-honorable mention:
    Shammond Williams
    Donald Williams
    Jeff McInnis
    Rick Fox
    Brendan Haywood
    Julius Peppers (who I happen to like as a football player)
    Hansbrough (plays too hard to hate too much)
    Danny Green (working his way up the list)
    All of the scholarship players on this year's team.

Seriously.

My hatred is reserved exclusively for direction toward this year's team. I've got no concern for the past.
    Last edited by The Gordog; 03-11-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    The Gordog

What a fun game! So many to choose from.
    I just can't put Hansbrogh on my list as I love his game. If he had on a darker shade of Blue, he might be my all time favorite player.
    In no particular order.

Ed Cota
    J.R. Reid
    Maktar N'Daiye
    KLang
    Jeff MckGinnis
    Brendan Haywood
    Ed Cota
    Rashad Mcants
    King Rice
    Joseph Forte

Can we do Maryland next, or maybe ACC (non-Carolina)?