Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Hurricane Hanna and Saturday game

Hanna was upgraded to a hurricane today, and according to the latest projections is expected to make landfall in SC on Friday. It's too far ahead to bet on that, so I've just made my "get out of Dodge plans" in case it comes further north, my family is sure not staying here at the beach. Regardless, it is looking like a wet Saturday night. Everyone use their collective will power to wish Hanna on a different track, so we can stay safe and watch some football.

Saturday game

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hanna was upgraded to a hurricane today, and according to the latest projections is expected to make landfall in SC on Friday. It's too far ahead to bet on that, so I've just made my "get out of Dodge plans" in case it comes further north, my family is sure not staying here at the beach. Regardless, it is looking like a wet Saturday night. Everyone use their collective will power to wish Hanna on a different track, so we can stay safe and watch some football.
    Why? Seems like we played rather well considering all the thunderstorm activity that was nearby on Saturday night. (tongue in cheek here folks-I was at least a bit scared watching the thunderstorm in person and on radar as it passed to our south and east around gametime).

Just ordered Duke rain ponchos for the entire family! Rain or shine, planning on being at WW for the game.

I will pack my soon-to-be-purchased rain gear in my Mini. I've always insisted that I will not, under any circumstances, sit in the rain for any team, ever. Funny how that changed Saturday!

well assuming they do play, it's going to wet and soggy. Going to favor the running game big time and slow down the game. Don't know enough about NU to say who then gets the advantage.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    I will pack my soon-to-be-purchased rain gear in my Mini. I've always insisted that I will not, under any circumstances, sit in the rain for any team, ever. Funny how that changed Saturday!
    HA! Got good practice didn't we? I bought 4 ponchos at Saturday's game, but we only used one to keep our camera dry. Nice timing for a storm too, we were coming inland anyways. Stay safe fellow beach comber.

HA! Got good practice didn't we? I bought 4 ponchos at Saturday's game, but we only used one to keep our camera dry. Nice timing for a storm too, we were coming inland anyways. Stay safe fellow beach comber.
    They were selling ponchos at the game?! Dang, I missed them. Are they Duke blue? Could you bring your 2 extras this week in case I don't find the proper shade of blue? We'll have a safe bag for the camera if you like.

Thanks! I'm off to check out the rip current while the sun's still shining

We got the cheapie kind that were clear and look like garbage bags..lol. For the 4 bux that they charged they should have been blue with a big "D" on the front. We are coming prepared this time with some real rain gear. (Blue, to boot!)

We got the cheapie kind that were clear and look like garbage bags..lol. For the 4 bux that they charged they should have been blue with a big "D" on the front. We are coming prepared this time with some real rain gear. (Blue, to boot!)
    Cool. Let me know where you find them. Guess I'll start at Wally World and Target

Projected path

Saturday's weather

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    Certainly both the path and the speed of travel aren't predictable this far out, but note that they show the center of the storm at the NC/VA boarder Saturday morning (and way north in New England on Sunday morning). In my mind, that means by Saturday afternoon the skies in Durham may well be clear (hopefully not leaving behind a trail of destruction). My bigger concern is the start time of my 9 a.m. golf tournament in Smithfield. If they delay that I could miss the Iron Duke tailgate, and I really don't want to do that.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Certainly both the path and the speed of travel aren't predictable this far out, but note that they show the center of the storm at the NC/VA boarder Saturday morning (and way north in New England on Sunday morning). In my mind, that means by Saturday afternoon the skies in Durham may well be clear (hopefully not leaving behind a trail of destruction). My bigger concern is the start time of my 9 a.m. golf tournament in Smithfield. If they delay that I could miss the Iron Duke tailgate, and I really don't want to do that.
    The trail of destruction is what I'm worried about. Yikes!

Better maps

You're definitely right that the forecasts at this point aren't worth much. If you want to see the results of the various computer models, go here:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...808_model.html

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If you're late for the tailgate, we'll save you some beer and food!

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    The trail of destruction is what I'm worried about. Yikes!
    While I'm sure we will beat Northwestern I think that is going a bit too far. Oh, that isn't what you meant. sorry.

Here's the latest from the NHC:

click to go to the forecast

The center of circulation is forecast to be on the NC/VA border, north of Winston-Salem at 8am on Saturday.

Hanna, game

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    Here's the latest from the NHC:

click to go to the forecast

The center of circulation is forecast to be on the NC/VA border, north of Winston-Salem at 8am on Saturday.
    And if it is 50-100 miles west, we should get just a few showers (and hopefully no tornadoes). And if it is 50-100 miles east, WW could be under 5-10 inches of water/rain and have serious tornado threats.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And if it is 50-100 miles west, we should get just a few showers (and hopefully no tornadoes). And if it is 50-100 miles east, WW could be under 5-10 inches of water/rain and have serious tornado threats.
    Actually, it is the east side of the hurricane that is the worst for wind and rain. The storm circulates in a counter clockwise direction. If you are east of the storm it is worse. So if the storm is west of Durham, it would mean more rain for Durham.

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Actually, it is the east side of the hurricane that is the worst for wind and rain. The storm circulates in a counter clockwise direction. If you are east of the storm it is worse. So if the storm is west of Durham, it would mean more rain for Durham.
    That's why I moved it 50-100 miles west. Several years ago, I think a tropical storm moved north through the area between W-S and Asheville and we got some rain in the Triangle but not monsoon-like quantities. Also it will depend on the footprint of the storm and if it is hundreds of miles across, it could move through the Triad and we would still be in danger in the Triangle. Right now, I'm just hoping for a tropical depression and several inches of rain to further ease the drought still present in the western part of NC and upstate SC and Georgia.

I'm not sold on this thing coming up the coast yet. There is still a chance that it goes right back out to see and never hit any of the 48 states....