Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    I think I'll have to try this. I usually get my own brisket and brine it for a week. Using corned beef would make it a lot easier and not force me to think a week ahead!

I use this spice rub:
    28g fresh coarsely ground black pepper (4 Tbs)
    12g coriander (2 Tbs)
    2g mustard powder (1 tsp)
    14g brown sugar (1 Tbs)
    7g paprika (1 Tbs)
    5g garlic powder (2 tsp)
    5g onion powder (2 tsp)

Note: I build my rubs by measuring into a bowl on a scale instead of using all the measuring spoons in the kitchen, hence the measurements in grams with volume measurements to help me gauge how much to shake into the bowl. I use whole peppercorns and whole coriander and whizz all the spices together in a spice/coffee grinder. It really makes a difference! Get the coriander pretty fine, then add the black pepper and grind it until the pepper is still fairly coarse. Freshly ground spices take this to another level.

I do a hot smoke to internal temp of 150F with hickory and apple. I usually have a nice, black bark. Then I steam it for about 3 hours. Sous vide also works pretty well, too, but steaming is the best. I got a little carried away with this particular one and left too much fat on it. I was too excited to get it into the brine, and then from the brine to the smoker.

Attachment 12732
    If you try it with a corned beef, let me know if you taste a difference v. self-brining.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If you try it with a corned beef, let me know if you taste a difference v. self-brining.
    I'll certainly report back!

I do a hot smoke to internal temp of 150F with hickory and apple. I usually have a nice, black bark. Then I steam it for about 3 hours. Sous vide also works pretty well, too, but steaming is the best. I got a little carried away with this particular one and left too much fat on it. I was too excited to get it into the brine, and then from the brine to the smoker.

Attachment 12732
    Thinking about steaming or sous videing mine this time. When you use the sous vide, what temp are you running?

When I search for pastrami and sous vide, it seems most of them are cooking it in the water bath first and then smoking it, but mine are already in the smoker now.
    Last edited by BigWayne; 03-19-2021 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Thinking about steaming or sous videing mine this time. When you use the sous vide, what temp are you running?

When I search for pastrami and sous vide, it seems most of them are cooking it in the water bath first and then smoking it, but mine are already in the smoker now.
    I did the sous vide after smoking. Apparently I didn't write it down...I think I used Serious Eat's recommendation of overnight at 155F for a brisket, going for the fall-apart tenderness, though I've seen most recipes using 132-137F. I found the steaming to be superior for serving immediately, like a flank steak (a low carb sandwich, haha). For sliced pastrami for a sandwich (hot or cold, with delicious, high carb bread), the unattended babysitting of sous vide is pretty much identical to steaming.

Ok I'm going for broke. I just saw a recipe for smoked watermelon ham.
    You basically take a watermelon brine score and smoke it like a ham .

Either it will be sweet smokey goodness or garbage can.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Ok I'm going for broke. I just saw a recipe for smoked watermelon ham.
    You basically take a watermelon brine score and smoke it like a ham .

Either it will be sweet smokey goodness or garbage can.
    Was interesting .sweet and smokey.

Had the texture of a mushy oyster . Not very good.but not horrible.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Not very good.but not horrible.
    Critiques of last year's football team belong in the EK forum.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Today I got myself a new project to work on over the next few weeks. Has lots of rust, a few holes, but overall the foundation is there and it's sturdy. And it made it the 30 mile highway trip home without falling into pieces.

Smoker.jpg

Smoker2.jpg

I did promise my girlfriend that once it is functional, I'll sell one of my other grills. (Grumble, grumble, grumble)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Can’t have too many grills, smokers, and the like!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Can’t have too many grills, smokers, and the like!

-jk
    That's what I say! GF however disagrees. The one that I'm going to sell is one that I like, but I won't really miss. It's not quite big enough for a whole pig, and it's propane. I've used it to cook our entire Thanksgiving dinner before, and a few other parties, but I'm just not a fan of gas grills. Not enough cave man action.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's what I say! GF however disagrees. The one that I'm going to sell is one that I like, but I won't really miss. It's not quite big enough for a whole pig, and it's propane. I've used it to cook our entire Thanksgiving dinner before, and a few other parties, but I'm just not a fan of gas grills. Not enough cave man action.
    I live in a compact suburban neighborhood. I’m happy with my modest gas grill. I’ll leave the hardcore cooking to others.

-jk

I did the sous vide after smoking. Apparently I didn't write it down...I think I used Serious Eat's recommendation of overnight at 155F for a brisket, going for the fall-apart tenderness, though I've seen most recipes using 132-137F. I found the steaming to be superior for serving immediately, like a flank steak (a low carb sandwich, haha). For sliced pastrami for a sandwich (hot or cold, with delicious, high carb bread), the unattended babysitting of sous vide is pretty much identical to steaming.
    I ended up getting it to ~155 on the smoker, refrigerating overnight, and then steaming for about 3 hours. Came out really nice. It was labeled as "round tip" from Safeway at $1.88/lb.

[IMG][/IMG]

Yes but that gas is stable/steady if your cooking and driving .

always good to remember that if you want your grilled meat to arrive in a warm state, you can wrap it in foil and put it on top of your car engine! Smells very nice, too...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    always good to remember that if you want your grilled meat to arrive in a warm state, you can wrap it in foil and put it on top of your car engine! Smells very nice, too...
    What if you're driving to Vermont?

What if you're driving to Vermont?
    you can put it on the roof along with the dog crate (and dog).

Not sure where my copy went, but it's the definitive guide for this sort of thing.
    One of my fishing buddies that has an inboard engine does this regularly when we are out fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Not sure where my copy went, but it's the definitive guide for this sort of thing.
    One of my fishing buddies that has an inboard engine does this regularly when we are out fishing.
    There ya go! SO many valuable tips out there (I remember seeing the recipe for dishwasher bluefish, just wrap it in foil, press the button.)

I know it's not smoked meat per se, but today we kick off our 2021 smoking season, going with a warm smoked salmon, with chef's special maple syrup/tarragon glaze...must decide on type of wood chips, alder, apple or hickory...

There ya go! SO many valuable tips out there (I remember seeing the recipe for dishwasher bluefish, just wrap it in foil, press the button.)

I know it's not smoked meat per se, but today we kick off our 2021 smoking season, going with a warm smoked salmon, with chef's special maple syrup/tarragon glaze...must decide on type of wood chips, alder, apple or hickory...
    Salmon season starts Saturday the 3rd, but I rarely have any that lasts long enough to make it to the smoker. It's going to be a crazy day because only my local area will have an open season until the end of June. We will have a lot of people coming in from other areas that wouldn't usually.

Back in the day. We used to wrap hotdogs
    And put them on top of 3208 caterpillar engines .as we ran heavy equipment . So they were cooked For lunch .
    It will heat up a can of chunky soup too.