Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think there will be one of these “I’m sorry” threads for Tyrese Proctor pretty soon….

Sometimes situations require proper motivation, because we all knew what he was capable of and more -- and we really want to see him go high in the draft and have an amazing NBA career (and if he wins a championship for Duke along the way -- yay!). In this day and age of too much emotional coddling, tough love is sometimes more effective. No apologies. Any lingering issues can be taken out aka redirected on the next opponents, and the next, and then next.

I think most posters dissed the recruiting sites more than they did Derrick.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by 91devil View Post
    I think there will be one of these “I’m sorry” threads for Tyrese Proctor pretty soon….
    And if there is, I'll be the first to apologize.

Regarding Lively, I hope this is his "Zoubek vs Maryland" game. Zoubek was always solid analytically, but the eye test only matched that during and post-Maryland game.

If Lively can stay on the court, he's a maaaaaaaasive plus to this team.

I am no longer on the "Young > Lively" bandwagon. Lively's defense and opportunistic offense is so critical for this team.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Regarding Lively, I hope this is his "Zoubek vs Maryland" game. Zoubek was always solid analytically, but the eye test only matched that during and post-Maryland game.

I am no longer on the "Young > Lively" bandwagon. Lively's defense and opportunistic offense is so critical for this team.
    Yeh, it looks like that ship has sailed.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I think most posters dissed the recruiting sites more than they did Derrick.

GoDuke!
    Exactly. I’ve felt the sites saw Chet Holmgren and just said “Dereck is close enough.”

I loved seeing DL’s joy following the UNC game. He has a unique playing style and presence. Beautiful Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    I loved seeing DL’s joy following the UNC game. He has a unique playing style and presence. Beautiful Stuff!
    I loved that after that second put-back dunk after Hubris called a timeout, Dereck came back toward Jeremy and the bench and it clearly showed him shouting "I got you!" a couple of times. He clearly seems to be a great teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I loved that after that second put-back dunk after Hubris called a timeout, Dereck came back toward Jeremy and the bench and it clearly showed him shouting "I got you!" a couple of times. He clearly seems to be a great teammate.
    What a great nickname.
    Let's go Duke!

He had a fantastic hedge on a screen that drove RJ Davis way up into the corner. It was Zoubekian.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    He had a fantastic hedge on a screen that drove RJ Davis way up into the corner. It was Zoubekian.
    This is where Lively is 1000x times better than Mark Williams: switches. Mark Williams is an elite interior defender. Williams is also a combination of Matthew Hurt and Luke Kennard on the perimeter.

Lively has no defensive weaknesses other than being somewhat foul prone.

Defensively, I'll take Lively any day.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Where else but the DBR can one find such fun nicknames as "Hubris" and "Zoubeckian"?

As an old man who consistently rails against the one and done model Duke has used for the last 10 years, Lively's performance against UNC is the exact reason why you do the one and done thing. That kind of talent is special.

This is where Lively is 1000x times better than Mark Williams: switches. Mark Williams is an elite interior defender. Williams is also a combination of Matthew Hurt and Luke Kennard on the perimeter.

Lively has no defensive weaknesses other than being somewhat foul prone.

Defensively, I'll take Lively any day.
    Yes he is. I don't know what this called, but he was fantastic at the little temporary switch where he would stay on the perimeter player for just a split second while Roach or Proctor got around the screen, then he quickly got back to Bacot so that he wasn't wide open for a dunk. I really prefer that to a permanent switch where Lively is then tasked with guarding a much smaller defender on the perimeter and out guard is stuck on Bacot.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    What a great nickname.
    I wish I could take credit for it. I'm afraid I sole it from @Sixthman, who used it here. I'm more than happy to propagate it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    Yes he is. I don't know what this called, but he was fantastic at the little temporary switch where he would stay on the perimeter player for just a split second while Roach or Proctor got around the screen, then he quickly got back to Bacot so that he wasn't wide open for a dunk. I really prefer that to a permanent switch where Lively is then tasked with guarding a much smaller defender on the perimeter and out guard is stuck on Bacot.
    The "hedge and recover."

Dereck is so much fun to watch in the game. So enthusiastic! "Lively" is truly a great name for him.

I assume opposing coaches are drawing up plays to get him in foul trouble. Seriously. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I assume opposing coaches are drawing up plays to get him in foul trouble. Seriously. ;-)
    Smart by opposing coaches.

The good news is Derreck has also sent a signal to refs letting them know he goes straight up against post players and gets all ball against guards.

Coach Scheyer had been saying maybe as far back as 3 weeks ago that this was coming. I'm surprised at how he absolutely dominated UNC, but I can't say that I am shocked that Lively is now showing why he was considered an elite prospect. I absolutely expected him to start playing well and regain his starting spot.

He was playing pretty good defense even through his tough stretches this season, but he needed to learn to defend without fouling. Every young center goes through this same pattern of growth. Some have the lightbulb flip on earlier than others.