Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    I can see we're having a classic DBR moment of taking things too seriously. I'm worried that I actually have to clarify and say that I'm not suggesting anyone should call Lively and personally apologize. I'm also.not suggesting that anyone is guilty of some sort of sin or crime.
    Yes. Clearly the problem is the DBR user community. Glad you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yes. Clearly the problem is the DBR user community. Glad you understand.
    You seem to take a contrarian stance to a lot of my posts and are an apologist for some of the annoying stuff that goes on. In any case, I'm glad you had the courage to stand up and refuse to participate in an apology that was a lighthearted joke in the first place.

You seem to take a contrarian stance to a lot of my posts and are an apologist for some of the annoying stuff that goes on. In any case, I'm glad you had the courage to stand up and refuse to participate in an apology that was a lighthearted joke in the first place.
    Read the room. Slow down. Not everyone has to be a conformist here. But you also don’t need to impose your will on it either.

You are incorrect. You are taking lots of pot shots at the community that I've been a member of for about 25 years. So yes, I'm defensive when you make comments about what "we" need to do.

I guess that is probably a little childish of me, but I reserve the right to suggest that if all you have are complaints, perhaps it isn't a great fit for you.

We played a great game last night. Lively was a HUGE part of it. I feel zero need to apologize to the young man. But then again, I also challenge you to find a single time I have criticized him.

The ACC regular season title is very much in play. I'm going to focus on the positives and hope Duke can make a nice March run.

You are incorrect. You are taking lots of pot shots at the community that I've been a member of for about 25 years. So yes, I'm defensive when you make comments about what "we" need to do.

I guess that is probably a little childish of me, but I reserve the right to suggest that if all you have are complaints, perhaps it isn't a great fit for you.

We played a great game last night. Lively was a HUGE part of it. I feel zero need to apologize to the young man. But then again, I also challenge you to find a single time I have criticized him.

The ACC regular season title is very much in play. I'm going to focus on the positives and hope Duke can make a nice March run.
    It seems like a good chunk of what I post, whether it's a critique of the community or anything else related to duke basketball, one of the first responses is a snarky, sarcastic response from you.

Oh, "we" played a great game last night? Were you on the court? Apparently the use of that word is very touchy for you.

Derrick's Mom at the Game.

After reading about Derrick's personal life, it makes me more aware that it's just a basketball game when compared to hardships a young man or woman faces in their everyday lives. Derrick's dad passed away when he was 7 years old and his Mom has cancer (in remission). Derrick, prayers for you and your mom.

GoDuke!

It seems like a good chunk of what I post, whether it's a critique of the community or anything else related to duke basketball, one of the first responses is a snarky, sarcastic response from you.

Oh, "we" played a great game last night? Were you on the court? Apparently the use of that word is very touchy for you.
    What is the point you are making?

I'm far from the only long time poster pushing back on you here. If most of your posts are getting snarky replies, maybe you should consider their content.

Anyway, I tried to end this back and forth with some positivity, but you don't seem interested in that. I'll be sure to let other DBR posters reply to your comments before I get defensive and snarky next time.

Most of our best young hotshots have struggled at some point as freshmen and been questioned by fans. Most freshmen bigs struggle with fouls. Is unusual for the number one recruit to be so limited on offense. I’ll admit, I was concerned that Lively was a poor man’s Mark Williams with no offense after a few games. I can appreciate his ability to be effective switching on guards as well as protecting the rim and recognize his defense is top notch now. I hope he will accept my humble apology. I still expect more foul trouble for Derek this year but hopefully it will be infrequent. Scoring is a weakness for Duke which is not helped by getting only 4 points from the starting center and 2 from his backup. So I hope Lively’s improved rebounding will get him a couple more dunks a game going forward.

It would be fun if this were a Dereck Lively appreciation thread instead. He deserves it. It's been so much fun to watch his growth and surging confidence over the last few weeks. Also, being there last night, it was awesome to see the joy and excitement from our players and coaches. They really wanted this one and they clearly love playing for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    It would be fun if this were a Dereck Lively appreciation thread instead. He deserves it. It's been so much fun to watch his growth and surging confidence over the last few weeks. Also, being there last night, it was awesome to see the joy and excitement from our players and coaches. They really wanted this one and they clearly love playing for Duke.
    Can't spork.

Glad to see this thread.

But I don’t owe Dereck an apology. Just like I won’t owe Dariq one in 2-3 weeks. 😎

Mea Maxima Culpa

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    I agree. I want to add my kudos of appreciation to Dereck Lively!

But I also want to acknowledge that I was an impatient and ignorant fan. I speak only for myself, but recalling the early season posts, I am probably not the only one.

Goodness, Dereck fouls a lot. Why can't he shoot? How could he have been ranked #1? Etc.

That view was wrong and short-sighted. It implies that Scheyer and staff didn't know what they were doing. In hindsight, I wish I would have given them the benefit of the doubt. Like maybe they see great upside in this player and are putting him in games so that he can develop. duh.

By the way, even my dear wife said, "Ted, you were impatient. You didn't give him much of a chance." Ouch and true.

I'm an older person, and I like to keep learning. This was one more good learning experience for me.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

What is the point you are making?

I'm far from the only long time poster pushing back on you here. If most of your posts are getting snarky replies, maybe you should consider their content.

Anyway, I tried to end this back and forth with some positivity, but you don't seem interested in that. I'll be sure to let other DBR posters reply to your comments before I get defensive and snarky next time.
    I'm sorry about my last post. Saying that you're constantly replying with negativity to me was over-the-top and an unfair attack.

I still think the pushback on this thread is ridiculous. It's the kind of thing that many posters have publicly expressed frustration about, and I've received a lot of private messages about that too.

People got caught up on semantics of what "we" means. The bottom line is that there are many of us who have been frustrated with Lively's performance this season, and even more of us who didn't think he would do well against Bacot. None of the people in that group owes an actual apology to anyone. It was just a way to say he proved us wrong. By saying "we," I didn't mean every single person on DBR. If you all don't include yourself in that group, then great, the thread wasn't directed at you.

I also don't particularly care who is a long-time DBR poster and who isn't. I can read someone's post and take in what they say. Looking up in the corner to see what year they joined doesn't lead me to give any more or less weight to their posts.

I also don't particularly care who is a long-time DBR poster and who isn't. I can read someone's post and take in what they say. Looking up in the corner to see what year they joined doesn't lead me to give any more or less weight to their posts.
    Maybe you should try a different approach. Those of us who have been here awhile have a different perspective.

Thanks for the apology. I'll try to dial back my defensiveness and start fresh.

Deal. Me too

What a bunch of wooden. A good online fight is so visible and entertaining. 😝

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    What a bunch of wooden. A good online fight is so visible and entertaining. 😝
    No crumbs left.

The next part of the fan reaction is "how will we possibly replace Lively next season"?

From overrated to irreplaceable in very short time...
    Last edited by roywhite; 02-05-2023 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The next part of the fan reaction is "how will we possibly replace Lively next season"?

From overrated to irreplaceable in very short time...
    I heard Young is still growing

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    I agree. I want to add my kudos of appreciation to Dereck Lively!

But I also want to acknowledge that I was an impatient and ignorant fan. I speak only for myself, but recalling the early season posts, I am probably not the only one.

Goodness, Dereck fouls a lot. Why can't he shoot? How could he have been ranked #1? Etc.

That view was wrong and short-sighted. It implies that Scheyer and staff didn't know what they were doing. In hindsight, I wish I would have given them the benefit of the doubt. Like maybe they see great upside in this player and are putting him in games so that he can develop. duh.

By the way, even my dear wife said, "Ted, you were impatient. You didn't give him much of a chance." Ouch and true.

I'm an older person, and I like to keep learning. This was one more good learning experience for me.
    This is a nice post. Thanks for sharing. I love that image of your wife gently scolding you…. This Duke basketball program has given us all a lot of enjoyment over the years, hasn’t it?