Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2023 Rock'n'Roll HOF nominees

Jeez, who do you leave out?

the list features George Michael, Kate Bush, Missy Elliott, the White Stripes, Sheryl Crow, Iron Maiden, Joy Division/New Order, Cyndi Lauper, Willie Nelson, Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, the Spinners, A Tribe Called Quest, and Warren Zevon
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...VANW6HMUSNOslI

Especially considering some of the recent inductees.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

Unbelievable group of nominees.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

Honestly, the only "iffy" on for me is Sheryl Crow.

No offense to any MurderHeads on this board - I just find her music less interested than the other artists listed.

If Willie or RATM aren't in, I'll burn down buildings.

I can't describe the joy I will feel if Willie Nelson and Iron Maiden go in together (as they flippin' well better).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Honestly, the only "iffy" on for me is Sheryl Crow.
    Honestly, I'd put Sheryl Crow in well ahead of Cyndi Lauper.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Depending on your age, you may not realize how brightly she burned.

She's So Unusual was the first debut album by a female artist to feature four top-five hits on the Billboard Hot 100.

Cyndi Lauper came out around the same time as Madonna, but was the bigger act for several years. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun was anthemic... bigger than anything Sheryl Crow has ever done.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Zevon is LONG overdue.

Seconded. In my opinion, Lauper has 3 or 4 good songs (Time After Time, All Through the Night, I Drove All Night), some pretty good songs (Girls Just Want to Have Fun, True Colors, Change of Heart), several annoying songs (She Bop, Money Changes Everything, Iko Iko, The Goonies), and a tepid cover of a good Prince song (When You Were Mine). And that’s it.

Sheryl Crow on the other hand has at least four entire albums that are good. Sure, she’s certainly no Joni Mitchell. But who is?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Zevon is LONG overdue.
    Warren is a legend. I’m stunned that he’s not already enshrined.

Zevon is LONG overdue.
    No kidding. I’ll be an excitable boy if he gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    No kidding. I’ll be an excitable boy if he gets in.
    How could he not get in? He’s got to be a sure thing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Seconded. In my opinion, Lauper has 3 or 4 good songs (Time After Time, All Through the Night, I Drove All Night), some pretty good songs (Girls Just Want to Have Fun, True Colors, Change of Heart), several annoying songs (She Bop, Money Changes Everything, Iko Iko, The Goonies), and a tepid cover of a good Prince song (When You Were Mine). And that’s it.

Sheryl Crow on the other hand has at least four entire albums that range from good to very good.
    Also, the other piece of Cindi Lauper's impact was just the cultural significance. Much like Madonna (who she will always be compared with) she was a shift in attitude and style and perception far beyond just her music and lyrics. The Rock and Roll HOF has historically recognized these things pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Depending on your age, you may not realize how brightly she burned.

She's So Unusual was the first debut album by a female artist to feature four top-five hits on the Billboard Hot 100.

Cyndi Lauper came out around the same time as Madonna, but was the bigger act for several years. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun was anthemic... bigger than anything Sheryl Crow has ever done.
    Oh, I do realize it. I'm exactly the right age for that. And given that it is the Hall of Fame, those are all fair arguments. And Cyndi Lauper is already in the Songwriters Hall of Fame, so putting her in this one wouldn't be that big a surprise. I just think Sheryl Crow wrote better, more innovative, and more interesting songs. But that's entirely a subjective judgment, of course, and there's no doubting who has had the bigger commercial success.

Also, the other piece of Cindi Lauper's impact was just the cultural significance. Much like Madonna (who she will always be compared with) she was a shift in attitude and style and perception far beyond just her music and lyrics. The Rock and Roll HOF has historically recognized these things pretty well.
    You are 100% right about that. She definitely had a significant impact on pop culture for a couple of years. Legit point.

If it was a sure thing, he'd be in already. He's been eligible since about 1995. It's ridiculous.

Oh, I do realize it. I'm exactly the right age for that. And given that it is the Hall of Fame, those are all fair arguments. And Cyndi Lauper is already in the Songwriters Hall of Fame, so putting her in this one wouldn't be that big a surprise. I just think Sheryl Crow wrote better, more innovative, and more interesting songs. But that's entirely a subjective judgment, of course, and there's no doubting who has had the bigger commercial success.
    You just don't relate with She Bop.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

My understanding is that some big name musicians have been lobbying for this. That’s gotta help.

My understanding is that some big name musicians have been lobbying for this. That’s gotta help.
    Yep, much like Leon Russell and Jeff Beck, Warren was a musician’s musician. I was always thrilled with the relatively small venues each played. They were some of the best regardless of relative fame.

If Willie or RATM aren't in, I'll burn down buildings.
    Rage didn’t get in last year (or the three previous ones). Nor did Kate Bush (second time), A Tribe Called Quest (second time) and Iron Maiden (second time). Like the NBA All-Star game there is a fan vote component.

Cyndi Lauper had Captain Lou Albano in her video 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun'. She's a lock just for that.

I ushered the Cyndi Lauper concert at Cameron, but it was only because I wanted to see The Bangles who opened. (I had — and still have — mad love for Susanna Hoffs).

If she is HOF worthy, but Little Feat is not, then the HOF is just one sick joke.