Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Are we really just one match away from UNC v Duke for the national title???
    Well, two matches. UNC would have to win their semifinal match.

So, one Duke win and one UNC win.

Beating OU is going to be very difficult. They're seeded second on merit. Got to get that doubles point.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 05-21-2022 at 12:18 PM.

When we played Oklahoma in January, the won the doubles point and beat us 4-2. https://goduke.com/sports/womens-ten...boxscore/20370
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    When we played Oklahoma in January, the won the doubles point and beat us 4-2. https://goduke.com/sports/womens-ten...boxscore/20370
    That gives me some confidence. We lost in a breaker in one doubles match, 7-5 in the other, and crushed them 6-2 in the third one. In singles, we lost three close matches, destroyed them in #1 singles and were up in the unfinished match. Never know how indicative a past meeting is for a future meeting, but clearly that match could have gone either way and now we have some familiarity (so do they admittedly).

In the first semi, Texas is up 3-2, both matches left they are a game away from winning. Come on Longhorns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    In the first semi, Texas is up 3-2, both matches left they are a game away from winning. Come on Longhorns!!!
    And Texas win!

The matches were all moved indoors because of rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    And Texas win!

And apparently May is just like in March, next game starts in 30 minutes. Ha. (And will be late from advertised time, by about an hour)

And Texas win!

Duke needs to grind out this match. Good luck Duke Women!

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Duke needs to grind out this match. Good luck Duke Women!

Split the first 2 dubs and 5 all at #2 to decide the doubles point. Come on Duke.

Down to Eliza Omirou and she is trailing in the 3rd set 5-0. All tied at 3-3 with Oklahoma,unfortunately momentum is swinging to Emma Staker of Oklahoma. Will take an incredible comeback to get the win. Texas Oklahoma final is quite likely. Valiant effort by Duke,but just not enough to get the W.
    https://sidearmstats.com/illinois/mten/
    Last edited by heyman25; 05-22-2022 at 12:30 AM. Reason: added 1 more link

Bummer

Losing the doubles point in that last 7-5 set was costly in the end unfortunately. That was the difference. Still, great season!

Playing indoors due to weather certainly changes things (for both teams obviously, no idea who is better suited for it based on personel).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Losing the doubles point in that last 7-5 set was costly in the end unfortunately. That was the difference. Still, great season!

Playing indoors due to weather certainly changes things (for both teams obviously, no idea who is better suited for it based on personel).
    This really shows how important that doubles point is. It is decided so quickly (only one set for each matchup) that it can seem almost arbitrary. But that point seems to determine the outcome in many matches, especially at this level when both teams are talented. In the end, this match came down to just a few points.

Singles and doubles draws are out. Singles starts tomorrow. Chloe Beck plays a gal from Cal at 7:00pm. She and Georgia Drummy were slated to be 9-16 seeds. But I can’t find Georgia in the draw anywhere. Maybe she is there and I just can’t find her.

Navarro from UVA is the #1 seed and doesn’t have a 9-16 seed in her part of the draw. Makes me think Georgia dropped out or something. But she is listed in the doubles draw. Hmmmm

Calling Jim Sumner. Any idea what is going on?

Singles and doubles draws are out. Singles starts tomorrow. Chloe Beck plays a gal from Cal at 7:00pm. She and Georgia Drummy were slated to be 9-16 seeds. But I can’t find Georgia in the draw anywhere. Maybe she is there and I just can’t find her.

Navarro from UVA is the #1 seed and doesn’t have a 9-16 seed in her part of the draw. Makes me think Georgia dropped out or something. But she is listed in the doubles draw. Hmmmm

I also thought I saw Georgia’s name in the draw yesterday when I checked the list, but it isn’t there now for singles. Odd.

The No. 4 Texas Longhorns defeated the No. 2 Oklahoma Sooners 4-1 to win the NCAA Women’s Tennis Championship for the second straight year.

Chloe Beck won her opening singles match against Cal's Jessica Alsola 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.

Chloe Beck lost to Michaela Bayerlova (Washington State) 7-5, 6-2 today to end her season.

I also thought I saw Georgia’s name in the draw yesterday when I checked the list, but it isn’t there now for singles. Odd.

As Jim S pointed out above, Chloe lost in straight sets in the second round. Georgia not only disappeared from the singles draw, but now she and Karolina Berankova are no where to be found in the doubles draw, which started today. Injury, I am guessing. Great season for the women's team, was a fun ride the last month.

Duke Chronicle summary Oklahoma match

Freshwoman Emma Jackson returns next season. Coach Ashworth can hopefully recruit and rebuild for 2022-23
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ament-oklahoma